went from ems to sct - terrible idle misfire - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Technical Tuning & EFI/EMS Electronics > SCT Flash Workgroup

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 49055
Default went from ems to sct - terrible idle misfire

Ok, here is the deal, I had aem ems, and twin turbo. car ran fine, just hated the turbo set-up. so I went with a pte 6262, and to help save money sold the ems and bought SCT.

thats all I changed. turbo set-up and the SCT, had the car dyno tuned.

it runs great while driving, but it has a rough idle/misfire.

My question is, would the tune have anything to do with this? car runs fine while cruising, and WOT pulls hard and no hickups. made 448@19psi on pump gas.

Throws 7 codes.
P0300-multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0443-evap Purge Solenoid Circuit
P0131-o2 Sensor 1/1 Voltage Low
P0335-crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit
P0243-wastegate Solenoid Circuit
P1105-tip Sensor Solenoid Circuit
P0033-surge Valve Solenoid Circuit

I just ordered a hondata intake manifold gasket and new coil pack. the plugs are brand new, and the plug wires are fairly new. less than 3k miles.

Here is an idle video before I switched my set-up

BORKED

and after my tune on the new set-up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 24279

2003 ecu ? Iirc some early 04s had the 03 ecu , which does not play well with sct . Your base code info on ecu & advantage software base code selection window will tell you what you got .

S3 turbo/mani,S3 coilovers,SCT PRP,1025cc inj,AGP Race,N2MBWOTBox,ACT HD-Street,Hurst,Needswings

Last edited by apexcrazy; 02-04-2013 at 03:52 PM.
apexcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

2004 ecu
Old 02-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 69549

Were those codes always present after switching from the EMS?

I am leaning towards checking the PCM connections and see if they are all seated correctly. That seems to be an awful lot of codes.

Have you tried resetting the PCM? Unplug the battery cable for a few minutes. See if the codes come back immediately.
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I never checked codes with the EMS, because it ran fine, this idle is what made me check everything.

intake manifodl is off the car now, once the new gasket and coil pack arrive ill install them and clear the codes. but im pretty positive the pcm is seated correctly.

im just wondering if my tune could have something to do with this? The tuner is very proficient with SCT, however this was the first SRT4 he has tuned. I know they had a heck of a time getting my FIC 900cc injectors scaled. He e-mailed me a tune and it wouldnt even drive, so I had the car towed to the shop and they got on the phone with SCT to scale the injectors.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Those codes you posted look like normal codes with the EMS hooked up is what I was getting at.

It almost appears as if the PCM was never cleared while you switched back to the stock PCM. All it takes is to remove the negative cable for about 3 or so minutes to clear the codes. For a 1gn neon you can pull the fuel pump fuse which also kills the battery to the PCM. Not 100% sure if 2gns are the same. I would assume they are. Worth a shot if you don't feel like messing with the battery terminals.

Normally if I get a code I will take note of it, and then clear it. If it comes back then it is time to investigate further (usually 02 sensor, or misfires). Obvious codes need no further investigation (timing belt, etc...)

I am not ruling your tune out yet. But those codes could be a problem if they actually do exist. I would clear the codes and go from there.

Last edited by atroph; 02-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

oh its defiantly been cleared. right before the tune I had my battery relocated to the trunk.

but something is up with the car, I mean the idle is WAY OFF.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Hopefully someone that is proficient with the SCT can chime in.

Question 1. Is it normal to have all of those CEL's with a SCT flash?

Question 2. Can the user/tuner jack the tune up so that those CEL's are active even though there is no actual fault? (My initial reading says yes)

OP my best guess would be to troubleshoot why those CEL's are on and go from there.

1. Make sure that the parameters are getting to the PCM. Generic scantool...handheld...Pro Racer Software...DRBIII...something

2. If sensors are doing what they are supposed to then find out what in the tune is causing the fault.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 24279

Quote: Originally Posted by atroph View Post
Hopefully someone that is proficient with the SCT can chime in.

Question 1. Is it normal to have all of those CEL's with a SCT flash?

Question 2. Can the user/tuner jack the tune up so that those CEL's are active even though there is no actual fault? (My initial reading says yes)

1. No . I have flashed my ecu at least a hundred times with different base codes and tunes , never got any of those cel codes . Sct doesnt throw false codes . Except the rare p0141 on certain s2 builds .

2. While it is possible to deactivate certain cell warnings , I don't think you can trigger codes for conditions that didn't occur .

If you have the sct handheld you can clear codes with it instead of the power-down method . Your misfire & cps codes are likely real and possibly connected to your rough idle condition , as well as the upstream o2 sensor . The rest are all normal if you have deleted your vac/boost solenoids & lines for a big turbo setup .

S3 turbo/mani,S3 coilovers,SCT PRP,1025cc inj,AGP Race,N2MBWOTBox,ACT HD-Street,Hurst,Needswings

Last edited by apexcrazy; 02-05-2013 at 06:18 AM.
apexcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

This thread seemed familiar lol I told you on facebook your car sounded like something was wrong

What EMS did you have before? Was it a plug and play kit or did you have to wire in the standalone?

The car is running rough due to those codes. You need to look over the harness and make sure nothing was damaged from the EMS being removed. Its definitely not related to the tune right now though if the tuner had a hard time dialing in the car I bet the tune isnt the best either.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 32732
Lifetime Premium Member

1. No
2. Possibly

The car is most likely what is jacked up, and the issues were hidden with the EMS.

"No one has more turbo Dodge calibration experience, this side of the factory"

nemiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by apexcrazy View Post
1. No . I have flashed my ecu at least a hundred times with different base codes and tunes , never got any of those cel codes . Sct doesnt throw false codes . Except the rare p0141 on certain s2 builds .

2. While it is possible to deactivate certain cell warnings , I don't think you can trigger codes for conditions that didn't occur .

If you have the sct handheld you can clear codes with it instead of the power-down method . Your misfire & cps codes are likely real and possibly connected to your rough idle condition , as well as the upstream o2 sensor . The rest are all normal if you have deleted your vac/boost solenoids & lines for a big turbo setup .

I figured as much for solenoids. I figure the CPS evap and misfire are my idle issues. hopefully I can get it figured out soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by tunerlover3 View Post
This thread seemed familiar lol I told you on facebook your car sounded like something was wrong

What EMS did you have before? Was it a plug and play kit or did you have to wire in the standalone?

The car is running rough due to those codes. You need to look over the harness and make sure nothing was damaged from the EMS being removed. Its definitely not related to the tune right now though if the tuner had a hard time dialing in the car I bet the tune isnt the best either.

I had AEM EMS. and thats you on the forums? Good to know! ive always found your posts to be pretty knowledgeable! and it was just the injectors at first, the tune is very safe and runs great. here is one of my dyno sheets.

Quote: Originally Posted by nemiro View Post
1. No
2. Possibly

The car is most likely what is jacked up, and the issues were hidden with the EMS.

yeah, I was figuring it was my car, but I highly doubt the issues were hidden with EMS, just must be something new that popped up, the car sat for about 6 months while I switched set-ups, but the last time I drove it before I parked it, it had zero idle issues, or misfire issues that were noticeable.

I am hoping that its either my intake manifodl gasket, which looked like crap, TPS wire issue, or the coil pack.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

oh and my idle is around 11.7 afr. very rich, but from my understanding the crane 18's are a big factor in that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 32732
Lifetime Premium Member

Your tune is severely off, on top of problems with the car. I had 18's in my car, and while the idle speed needed to be raised to 1000 to achieve a nice smooth idle, I sat at 14.7 all day long. I have 16's now, and idle is at 800, and again, 14.7.

"No one has more turbo Dodge calibration experience, this side of the factory"

nemiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 45182

Quote: Originally Posted by isthatguy View Post
I know they had a heck of a time getting my FIC 900cc injectors scaled. He e-mailed me a tune and it wouldn't even drive, so I had the car towed to the shop and they got on the phone with SCT to scale the injectors.

The tuner must not have ever worked on any Dodge car or truck if he had such serious problems.

That's most of the problem and these particular codes are the rest of it.

P0300-multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0131-O2 Sensor 1/1 Voltage Low
P0335-crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit

I agree 100% with Neal, the car is seriously jacked up but its not all the tunes fault.
Please EMAIL!!! dave at needlesstorque.com
www.facebook.com/needlesstorque
duster360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement