What would cause a timing belt to break? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 3267
Lifetime Premium Member
Default What would cause a timing belt to break?

Ok here is my problem. Had the car up at DCR back in DEC. Flew in from Iraq picked up the car and drove down to GA. The car drove beautifully! Drove it around town for about 2 weeks then I had to go back to Iraq. OK fast forward to a few days ago. I'm back from Iraq but I have moved to FL. I get home and charge my battery. Car cranks up. I thinking, " Sweet let me take her for a spin." Well I punch a few times but nothing crazy, I'm only tune to 15psi anyways. But I never hit redline, maybe 5k. Car is running great still. Then I get on I-75 I get to about 75MPH and just cruising then all of a sudden the car just turns off will not start.....GREAT lol. Get it towed to the house and after inspecting the timing belt is broken.

Here is my question what would cause the belt to break? Replacing it is no big deal. What has me concerned is that this is the second time the timing belt has broken on me. I don't want to have to keep on replacing th belt, that a PITA. I have only used the OEM timing belt, is it time to get the gatorbelt?
Thanks for any input.
Rage-Tek: LCA, HTOB, Triple Fuel Pumps, 3/4 fork
ClutchMaster: Twin Disk
AEM: EMS w/ 3.5 BAR sensor
Boomba: All 3 MM
littlepvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75818

what did you have done at DCR? i would look for a commanality between the first break and second to find out whats the same. just spitballing but it could be a bad tensioner/crank pulley/cam gear that is rubbing the belt wrong or wobbling. also i kow that overtightening the belt can cause breakage. also letting your car sit that long in storage etc while gone can cause rubber to crack. this sucks man. actually ive been wondering...is the 2.4 engine an interference engine? i come from the DSM world where if u break a timing belt u might as well get a new car...
I_R_5m4r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 51111

Quote: Originally Posted by I_R_5m4r7 View Post
what did you have done at DCR? i would look for a commanality between the first break and second to find out whats the same. just spitballing but it could be a bad tensioner/crank pulley/cam gear that is rubbing the belt wrong or wobbling. also i kow that overtightening the belt can cause breakage. also letting your car sit that long in storage etc while gone can cause rubber to crack. this sucks man. actually ive been wondering...is the 2.4 engine an interference engine? i come from the DSM world where if u break a timing belt u might as well get a new car...

You mean NON interference engine....and no it's not. But the valves are angled in such a way as they CAN touch depending on when/how the belt breaks. Not always, but a possibility
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75818

no interference? i was implying that the 4g63 IS an interference engine, therefore things interfere if things go wrong. i could have the terminolgy backwards tho but just how the english language works calling it a non interference engine doesnt make sense. ive always thought that since the valves and pistons occupy the same space at different times its an interference engine...thanks for the correction if im wrong...but couls u explain more (sprry for the thread jack but its kinda relevant i suppose)
I_R_5m4r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 57422

are you running open covers? on some occasions the belt could have torn slightly on the edges and then basically just took a big ol' dump on the highway.. also could be the tensioner wasn't holding up too well..
harris1169Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 41700

the belt should not break

either there is some walking going on or some sharp edges that are wearing on the belt

can you post pix of the belts in question ?

Quote: Originally Posted by CRZYCUBAN2 View Post
Theyre not old. Just seasoned.

nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 3267
Lifetime Premium Member

Man I woud love to post some pics, but I just moved to FL and all my tools are still packed and my HOA won't allow me to work on my car in the drive way....DAMN HOAs!!! But honestly I leave in aug to go back to Iraq and would rather spend the timw with the family instead of underneath the car. Guess I'll investigate when I come back in DEC and I'm home for good.

And I do have a cover on the belt for the most part except that I cut the top cover so that u can see the cam gears. I guess something could have gotten in there, but twice now? That's what has me concerned.
Rage-Tek: LCA, HTOB, Triple Fuel Pumps, 3/4 fork
ClutchMaster: Twin Disk
AEM: EMS w/ 3.5 BAR sensor
Boomba: All 3 MM
littlepvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33498

Is anyone starting the car every now and then while you are away overseas? Aside from everything mentioned above I could only add that maybe the time when the car just sits for months the belts can degrade faster than if they were warmed up and stretched once a week or so. Just a thought.
This thread makes my pants tight.

OrangeBlastedSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement