Symptoms of a bad wastegate? - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Symptoms of a bad wastegate?

Just wondering what the symptoms of a bad wastegate are, I think mine is going out. With my boost controller turned all the way off, I go WOT and spike 18 psi then it's almost like I'm feathering the gas...goes from 18 to about 5 then back up to 18 then settles at 13 which is the base pressure on the wastegate spring. Any ideas what this could be? I'm going to completely unhook the boost controller and run the wastegate to the compressor housing and see if that fixes it. Anyone know where I can buy a tial rebuild kit for my wastegate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsrt4tn View Post
Just wondering what the symptoms of a bad wastegate are, I think mine is going out. With my boost controller turned all the way off, I go WOT and spike 18 psi then it's almost like I'm feathering the gas...goes from 18 to about 5 then back up to 18 then settles at 13 which is the base pressure on the wastegate spring. Any ideas what this could be? I'm going to completely unhook the boost controller and run the wastegate to the compressor housing and see if that fixes it. Anyone know where I can buy a tial rebuild kit for my wastegate?
Wastegates are fairly simple...pull it off the car and pull the top off. Look at the diaphragm inspect it for holes/tears (be careful with it though!!). Also check the spring out make sure it's acting like a spring (no binding, unlikely but you never know). If it all checks out I'm willing to bet your wastegate is fine and the problem is else where (boost controller/vacuum line)

go ahead...change yours too now; again
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Yeah I'm going to swap the vac lines out here in a bit and hopefully that will fix it. If not I guess I'll take it off tomorrow. I just had it off this weekend and put a stiffer spring in it. Everything was fine til I started it Sunday morning and turned the boost down, ever since it has acted weird.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I really don't see how this belongs in this area since it's a problem with an EXTERNAL wastegate and has nothing to do with a stock part or a dealer for that matter. Anyway, I rearranged the vac lines and it didn't help at all. I guess I'll rip the wastegate off tomorrow and have a look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode