Dodge SRT Forum banner

SRT4 Owner new from FL, misfire problem

5K views 66 replies 8 participants last post by  Norvin Tinoco 
#1 ·
I am a new owner of a SRT4 which I traded for my firebird was extremely sad to let her go but I do like this SRT4 I am having an issue with a misfire on injector 2 previous owner states its an injector issue. I am happy to be part of my new family any help in the south florida part of town id be happy to have

#2 ·
Welcome! You can do some research about the misfire on #2 and start your own thread if those are not helpful in the Problems section.
In the meantime do a compression check on all your cylinders if not done yet, look at the plugs while at it. Pull the codes if any. Swap the injectors to see if the issue moves.

#4 ·
I am in Miami area I will try to swap out all injectors

#5 ·
Welcome. Another new member! This is getting to be almost like 2003!

By swapping the injectors, Hybrid was suggesting to simply swap the injector between cylinder 2 and any other cylinder.
If the problem follows the injector from cylinder 2 to the new cylinder, then yep, it's probably a bad injector.

But first, see if there are any codes ( e.g. P202 cylinder misfire on cylinder 2).
To check for codes, cycle the ignition key on-off-on 3 times in rapid succession and the look for the code in the speedo odometer.

#6 ·
I rechecked the codes and it came up as a P0300 random missfire code it was the only code on there. I tried to speak to the previous owner about it with very little answers i just hope its not the harness. I was also wondering boost hits a ceiling around 5k rpm and i lose all power is there any way to get boost to 6k???

#7 ·
Well, you have to fix the misfire first, the PCM doesn't like that. So it can and will limit power. Random misfire does not jive with the PO telling you it is an injector issue on #2 . You will find that our PCM is pretty intelligent so if #2 is missing that badly it would tell you.
Need to post more detail symptoms, like does it idle correctly, can you feel or hear the misfires, is the RPM steady to the 5k limit you indicated? AFR readings, fuel pressure, OEM coil and wires, plug type and how old, plug gaps? Is there a tune in the car or stock?
Post your known mods and accessories too.

#9 ·
[/COLOR]
Well, you have to fix the misfire first, the PCM doesn't like that. So it can and will limit power. Random misfire does not jive with the PO telling you it is an injector issue on #2 . You will find that our PCM is pretty intelligent so if #2 is missing that badly it would tell you.
Need to post more detail symptoms, like does it idle correctly,yes for the most part when it comes to misfire it wontcan you feel or hear the misfires,yes rarely but it happens is the RPM steady to the 5k limit you indicated?yes it is steady on all gears AFR readings,I do see here that it iusually stays at 14.7 with the predator tune fuel pressure, OEM coil and wiresyes oem, plug type and how old, plug gaps? Is there a tune in the car or stock? predator 93 tune
Post your known mods and accessories too.
I have answered most of your questions in red

#8 ·
Well here are the mods
srt4 04 Car has 112k on body motor was rebuilt at 40k miles. No grinds or pop outs. Has dcr pro series axles. Bwoody h brace with traction bars. Dsp hand held with 93 tune. Walbaro 255 fuel pump agp waste gate 3bar map tip. Full hard piping hks BOV Mopar intake. Battery in trunk Solid motor mounts. Megan racing coil overs. Stock set of rims and aftermarket set of rims God speed big front mount intercooler aem wideband Some more I'm forgetting. Turbo kit that I have is agp 50 trim and 750cc injectors Act stage 3 clutch and throwout bearing done within last 3k miles

#10 ·
Get some new NGK 4306 plugs, gap them to .035 to start. Look at the old plugs when you take them out and see if any of them are significantly different looking than the rest. Post the pics here if they are.
Do a compression check and leakdown on all 4 cylinders and post the numbers here too.
The 93 tune from what I gather is fairly rich I think and some fine tuning is still needed. Based on the mods to the car, which we need to know and you should post, it maybe best to put the stock tune back in and start from there. Unknown history and all, you may end up chasing your tail around the coffee table.
Something is itching the back of my brain about the PO saying there is a #2 problem. Do the compression check at the very least when you change the plugs.
Also change all the fluids, transmission, brake, steering, clutch, coolant and oil. Check the handbook and on here for recommendations.

#11 ·
I will definitely get a set and get that gap correctly well I drove around yesterday and no cylinder 2 misfire just random misfire after a 120 miles of driving it happened once here are the mods again

srt4 04 Car has 112k on body motor was rebuilt at 40k miles. No grinds or pop outs. Has dcr pro series axles. Bwoody h brace with traction bars. Dsp hand held with 93 tune. Walbaro 255 fuel pump agp waste gate 3bar map tip. Full hard piping hks BOV Mopar intake. Battery in trunk Solid motor mounts. Megan racing coil overs. Stock set of rims and aftermarket set of rims God speed big front mount intercooler aem wideband Some more I'm forgetting. Turbo kit that I have is agp 50 trim and 750cc injectors Act stage 3 clutch and throwout bearing done within last 3k miles

#13 ·
Buying plugs and wires along with new ignition coil this weekend any thoughts on what else I should go for?

#20 ·
will do getting the ignition coil and wires today

#22 ·
Very that what I want for me Question I t ahead replaced all the wires and spark plug I could not get the wires to pop in to the spark plugs no matter how hard I pressed down on them is that an issue with these cars?? the wire was just so spongy I couldn't get it to go in and pop. spark plug were ngk 4306 gapped at .035

#23 ·
So yesterday when checking the wiring on the fog lights and such the large connector on the steering wheel was burned and as soon as I pulled it out it fell apart does anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures so I can match the colors I got a new connector here that I can use

#24 ·
The swtich the guy has is a 22 pin I believe what is on there is a 19 pin I believe if anyone can correct me or where I can find the correct one

#26 ·
Man I read your reply and the first thing I though was your subject said mother*****s but yeah I went ahead and bought another pigtail also read up on that switch sucks these srt have so many problems I have to replace my seat now since the recline not working and it just falls to the floor

#27 ·
thank again everyone this forum needs more members

#28 · (Edited)
Just an update I bought a new coil pack and replace the spark plugs and wires gapped at .35 car runs better but still had a small misfire which still rarely happen the connector on the multifunction switch broke so I bought a new pigtail on ebay. I have read on the dodge forums that the camshaft sensor is a huge issue with these cars so I will get one this weekend just to rule out anything else he spark side. I have some stage 1 injectors to use if fueling is the issue

#30 ·
I usually buy from napa Echlin since they usually have the oem parts I don't have time to wait at the dealer and they close early so I cant buy even if I wanted to

#31 ·
I have a issue the multi function switch the worong burnt out and I went ahead and tried to cut the cable since the connectors were burnt. I went ahead and spliced the wire and tried to connect the cables again but they didnt work. I just want to know of anyone had any issues i have a few connected but seems that some dont work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.