Rotten egg smell after hard driving? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 360
Default Rotten egg smell after hard driving?

I've noticed this over the past few months and the smell is awful! After driving hard for a little while and parking, I smell a awful rotten egg type smell from my car. Not to sure what the heck it is. Anyone else get this? It's so bad I was picking up my friend a few nights ago and he gets in the car and says "Jesus man did you rip one??" I was like no man it's the car. This info may help, but I was at WOT on the highway in 3rd gear a few days ago and after running it and letting off I smelt a hot engine smell that I haven't really smelled out of it before. Maybe these smells are related but I haven't smelt this kinda stuff before out of it. Anyone have and idea of whats causing this?
F&F 47lb w/ big turbine S3 w/ TT's | E85 | 1025cc Injectors | 255 Walbro/rewire | RL w/ BN fix | DSP tuned by Duster| F&F EM Port + Cer Coat | AGP DFFMIC | AGP S3 wga | DCR Ported IM |DCR 55mm TB | B&B's TB 3' Exhaust | Maxxfabb S3 O2/Cer coat | AGP CAI | ED hardpipes | Stoptech brakes | ACT clutch | Quaife LSD | Tociko 5 ways w/ Eibachs
2010 Taurus SHO
Livernois Stage 2 tune | Custom CB Exhaust | Airraid Intake
qwiksilvertrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 12120

its the catalit converter
95 Rodeo 7'' lift, 34'' ltb's

275whp 307wtq with a few huge leaks

12.974@107.84 best so far
Best trap speed 111.19
black04srt4kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
User Banned

Member Number: 1393

My money is on your catyletic converter. It's common on newer cars, especially going up hill or under load.
Slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 888

After having smelled that rotten egg / cat smell before with other cars, all I can say is I wish I could rip farts that smelled like that.
It'd make standing in long lines for things a lot easier...
"Raised on the street…knows what it takes…doesn’t follow the crowd. If this describes you, the first place you need to look is MOPAR. Check out our exciting new parts and you’ll know we mean business. MOPAR offers performance engineered engine and suspension pieces to make the other street-savvy wannabes green with envy. Whether it’s for show, go, or both, MOPAR has what you want. You’ve got it, now go ahead and flaunt it!" - Mopar.com =
spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by spicer
After having smelled that rotten egg / cat smell before with other cars, all I can say is I wish I could rip farts that smelled like that.
It'd make standing in long lines for things a lot easier...

LMAO I guess this isn't a bad thing and cat is just fine though? I think when I upgrade my downpipe and O2 housing I'm skippin out on the shit can then. Thanks for the info guys!
F&F 47lb w/ big turbine S3 w/ TT's | E85 | 1025cc Injectors | 255 Walbro/rewire | RL w/ BN fix | DSP tuned by Duster| F&F EM Port + Cer Coat | AGP DFFMIC | AGP S3 wga | DCR Ported IM |DCR 55mm TB | B&B's TB 3' Exhaust | Maxxfabb S3 O2/Cer coat | AGP CAI | ED hardpipes | Stoptech brakes | ACT clutch | Quaife LSD | Tociko 5 ways w/ Eibachs
2010 Taurus SHO
Old 07-23-2004, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 143

your cooking your cat. That happens when your boosting the piss out of your car.
Exhaust Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 5616

That smell is caused from being too rich.

Last edited by A853; 07-23-2004 at 10:55 PM.
A853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 1761

Clutch maybe?
The Blue Sky hovers above me, I see a Shining Star just before it Melts Into The Ocean. Hanging in the sky, motionless, is the Clear Blue Moon with a Violet Stream orbiting around it. Under my feet, lies Black Snow that has fallen from Outer Space. I feel my Lost Emotions, Drifting Away, like Angel Dust. I am in a Universal Nation, with Seven Cities Above The Sky, the Wavebells ringing around me, creating a Cosmic Vibe. I am...in a TRANCE.
stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 888

A sulfury (spelling?), smell is nearly always the catalytic converter.
"Raised on the street…knows what it takes…doesn’t follow the crowd. If this describes you, the first place you need to look is MOPAR. Check out our exciting new parts and you’ll know we mean business. MOPAR offers performance engineered engine and suspension pieces to make the other street-savvy wannabes green with envy. Whether it’s for show, go, or both, MOPAR has what you want. You’ve got it, now go ahead and flaunt it!" - Mopar.com =
spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by spicer
A sulfury (spelling?), smell is nearly always the catalytic converter.

Yep thats what it smells like, just a sulfury rotten egg smell. I'm only boosting 15psi max and it always falls to 13 so I'm not "boosting the piss out of it". I take it this isn't normal and that there's something wrong?
2010 Taurus SHO
Old 07-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
pastormike

Member Number:

Just a little tech. info...

The rotton egg smell is sulfur dioxide and is caused by the converter's inability to absorb sulfur quick enough. Usually, some additional nickel is used on the coating of the ceramic core to prevent this, just depends on how good the fuel/air management is.

You might also consider trying different brands of gas. Some tend to have a higher sulfur content than others. If the problem continues to be chronic, insist on getting a new cat.

My .02
Old 07-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 2121

I thought it was hydrogen sufide? Sign of a cat not up to temp or failing.
haljensen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
pastormike

Member Number:

Quote: Originally Posted by haljensen1
I thought it was hydrogen sufide? Sign of a cat not up to temp or failing.

Ummm...ur right...(and I wonder I why I didn't do well in chem.)
It is hydrogen sulfide and it is true a cat not up to temp, failing, and/or the ceramic core that is not washcoated correctly can have abnormal levels of this (boy does it stink!)
There isn't really much that can go wrong with a converter, though (its a passive device). Most common cat problems are usually caused poor air/fuel management or bad gas.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 6194

You're all wrong. The rotten egg smell is coming from the shit that you just dropped in your pants after giving yourself the thrill ride of your life.
NogaBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13402

this can happen on car where the cat dosen't have enough time to warm up, or if somone is always driving like a grandma. So in short, just don't take your car on so many 'to the corner' trips, your cat gets a buildup on it I think its hydrogen sulfate like haljensen said. I know when I got my acura for the first 2 months or so whenever I would drive the car hard I would get that smell, so whoever owned it before didn't drive to too hard. The solution ... always drive you car hard
Past:
1994 Integra - Sold | 2005 Dodge SRT-4 - Totaled by Hail | 1997 Acura 2.2 CL slowmobile - Sold | 1991 BMW E30 - Sold | 1991 Acura Integra GS - Wrecked | 1971 Chevy C-10 shortbed stepside - Sold | 1973 Camaro Z-28 Clone - Stolen
Friends don't let friends drive Ford's!
pyro530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement