Dodge SRT Forum banner

Random P0016, again:|

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Terse 
#1 ·
Ok I will start from the top, picked up a 2004 NSRT back in December car was in poor condition but ran well enough to make 60 mile trip home with the CEL on the whole way (not flashing). Scanned the car had about 20 codes, cleared them out and only one returned.

Car had no power and sounded like poo, set MAP sensor code (hard code), found MAP sensor was bad, replaced sensor and car ran like a champ for about a week.

Lost power with miss fire, set Cam code set (hard code), went through the test found cam sensor was bad, replaced sensor, car runs like a champ for a few day's.

Lost power with miss fire, set Crank code set (soft code), I just put the F-ing crank sensor in, car started and ran.

Lost power with miss fire, set P0016 set about two weeks later (soft code), checked the timing. Found the belt was lose, well worn, and off. Replaced belt and related hardware. Car starts up sounds GREAT and no more eight ball idle.:grin:

The car has been sitting for about four weeks, hit the key and the car starts right up without any issues. Go for a ride today (maybe 20 miles) car was running great then under light boost (2nd gear) the car miss fired and lost power,did not stall (CEL came on). :flame: Pulled over checked codes yep, P0016 set, again :flame::flame::flame:

Save for the P0016 none of the other codes have returned, all replacement parts have been Mopar or NAPA.

The magnet on the camshaft is tight as is the tone wheel. I am starting to think I have a wiring issue, how have other people fixed this issue? New pig tails or rewire the sensor back to the PCM?

The car about 94K miles ( I might have driven it 200 miles) is more or less stock with no add on's form what I can tell but the car might have a replacement engine.

Thanks, Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
First you said it set a Cam code, then it threw a Crank code. Did you replace both sensors with OEM ones or cheap-o auto parts units? OEM ones seem to be the best. Do not over tighten the sensors as that can alter the distance between it and cam/ crank. Is oil spilling over onto the cam sensor or leakage? Check your vacuum lines and spark plug gaps. Check the easy stuff first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.