Other driver at fault in accident, their insurance wants to total my car, advice? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11520
Default Other driver at fault in accident, their insurance wants to total my car, advice?

Hey guys,

I have a E-Blue 2004 with about 57,000 miles on it (I keep the miles fairly low). I got rear-ended (so there isn't any damage to the engine) but my 3 inch Modern Performance exhaust got bent, my Kosei K1 TS passenger rear is damaged, and the entire trunk is smashed in. My passenger taillight is gone, and the rear window was smashed out.

Anyways, the insurance company wants to total my car. I have about 10k of mods in it and they don't seem to care. The good news is that the vast majority of the mods weren't damaged. The bad is the cost of the repair (they claim) is greater than my car's value. They aren't considering the cost of my aftermarket parts, so they don't want to do the repair.

Do I have any options here, or am I screwed?
Current Mods: AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 lb kit, Stage 2 w/o toys, SCT flash, DCR Oil Mod, MPx Turboback 3" exhaust w/cat, SBC Stg 3 clutch, DTEC FCBC, Psi-Fi Oversized IC, AGP UHP, AGP LHP, HKS BOV, AGP 3 inch CAI, AEM UEGO, AGP Motor Mounts, Hotchkis sway bars, Tein SS, 245 tires

New: 358 whp, 364 wtq, pump gas and nothing else
SRT-4owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31159

this is where you turn it over to YOUR insurance company and have them fight it out with the other guy's.

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
Sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31159

however if you got hit THAT hard in the ass the car really is totaled.

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
Sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 83287

take your parts off let them total it then get all the money from the looney that rear ended you and get a fresher one lol

2000 EBP Civic SI (sold)
2005 Srt-4
1999 Acura Integra LS (sold)
2005 GSXR 600
EsArTeeFour17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 69037

Quote: Originally Posted by SRT-4owns View Post
Hey guys,

I have a E-Blue 2004 with about 57,000 miles on it (I keep the miles fairly low). I got rear-ended (so there isn't any damage to the engine) but my 3 inch Modern Performance exhaust got bent, my Kosei K1 TS passenger rear is damaged, and the entire trunk is smashed in. My passenger taillight is gone, and the rear window was smashed out.

Anyways, the insurance company wants to total my car. I have about 10k of mods in it and they don't seem to care. The good news is that the vast majority of the mods weren't damaged. The bad is the cost of the repair (they claim) is greater than my car's value. They aren't considering the cost of my aftermarket parts, so they don't want to do the repair.

Do I have any options here, or am I screwed?

aftermarket parts mean dick to the insurance company. to replace your 2004 E-Blue SRT4 costs X amount of dollars. if the damage incurred in the accident is more than the cost to replace your vehicle it is considered a total loss.

ask the insurance company if you can buy the car back, if they will let you buy it back.....part that bish out, keep your aftermarket stuff and sell the interior, engine, accessories and use ALL of that money to get another car or find another low mileage SRT and buy it.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33498

Sota is right on both accounts. You need to enlist your insurance companies help immediately, although there still may not be much they can do. The car is indeed totalled if it was hit hard enough to smash the trunk in. Your main concern should be keeping your parts and putting them into another SRT or just selling them outright. The buyback/part-out plan would most definitely pay for itself and is a great option. Insurance companies don't care about aftermarket parts (no matter how extensive the list is) because they do not add to the value of a car, in most cases they actually decrease the value/reliability.

Go after them for as much as you can possibly get, this is where your insurance company will be of the most benefit. I was involved in a collision (other parties at fault ) where my car was at risk of being totalled a year ago and it was one month away from being paid off. I feel your pain, minus the aftermarket parts but it may just be time to realize what is in front of you and say goodbye to this car. Rest assured there are still plenty out there.
This thread makes my pants tight.

Last edited by OrangeBlastedSRT; 06-01-2011 at 11:21 PM.
OrangeBlastedSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Scammer

Member Number: 46111

Yeah man threaten there adjusters to hell and back with litigations. They'll make it right. Remember those adjusters are con's. I would consult a lawyer. Those rear end collisions are bad for the back/neck. Future dPT. The car is nothing, but your health is everything. Take em to the cleaners.
BoostinByeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76676

see how much they will sell you the car for.
ggferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 54334

not to be an ass, but what were they driving? An suv? And how fast were they going to destroy the rear windshield? Gives me the jitters just thinking about your back snd neck knowing what kind of damage was done to your car.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11520

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I've been away for a bit with job interviews and such.

Anyways, the guy that rear-ended me had a GIANT Ford F150 pickup. He rear-ended me going probably about 35 mph or so. It doesn't take much since those things weigh over 6000 lbs.

It honestly didn't hurt much at all. I just got thrown forward in my seat a bit. No pain at all. The car did its job absorbing the impact.

The other guy's insurance company keeps dragging their feet. They sent out an independent assessment guy, but the guy wants to know all of the information regarding the value of my aftermarket parts. I'm sending it to him today.

Hopefully after that, they will decide to pay for the damages, but I don't know if they will. I will take all of your contributions under advisement. Thanks everyone!
Current Mods: AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 lb kit, Stage 2 w/o toys, SCT flash, DCR Oil Mod, MPx Turboback 3" exhaust w/cat, SBC Stg 3 clutch, DTEC FCBC, Psi-Fi Oversized IC, AGP UHP, AGP LHP, HKS BOV, AGP 3 inch CAI, AEM UEGO, AGP Motor Mounts, Hotchkis sway bars, Tein SS, 245 tires

New: 358 whp, 364 wtq, pump gas and nothing else
SRT-4owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84476

I'm a licensed insurance agent and all i can say is good luck. Generally insurance companies (in my state) insure the car for what it would be bone stock, at its replacement cost. On the rare occasion that they do take aftermarket parts into account, they will low ball the hell outta you. See what the guy says value is, but you may be better off to part it out and go from there. Most likely this whole process will be a bitch for you. When ins companies don't want to pay, they drag the process out as long as hell. Unless they are covering you for a rental, that may speed them up. But who knows, you may get lucky, lemme know how this goes for you, I'm curious
srtblackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 72762

keep in mind too that many insurance companies won't let you buy the car back if they deem it a total loss and cut you a check for that amount

If your insurance company's name begins with a N or P, chance are very slim they will let you buy it back
Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76676

Quote: Originally Posted by Whodie View Post
keep in mind too that many insurance companies won't let you buy the car back if they deem it a total loss and cut you a check for that amount

If your insurance company's name begins with a N or P, chance are very slim they will let you buy it back

i bought mine back and it was a total loss. after my accident the ins company owed me 900 bucks. they paid off my loan. it was over 10k, they sold me the car foe 500 and cut me a check for 400.
ggferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 70221

Is the wing still intact????

If the wing is unharmed the car is not totalled....

Id play off the my neck hurts card and push them for every penny.. i hate insurance companies and their currupt "I own your stuff" attitude.
aceofspades9587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 72762

Quote: Originally Posted by ggferris View Post
i bought mine back and it was a total loss. after my accident the ins company owed me 900 bucks. they paid off my loan. it was over 10k, they sold me the car foe 500 and cut me a check for 400.

congrats - want me to mail you a cookie?

like I said, don't assume the insurance company will sell the car back to you if it is totaled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement