LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Premium Member
Oil leak help!!!

So I've had this oil leak for a while now. The harder I drive the worse the leak which makes me think it's the turbo. I had the car sit for 2 weeks and no oil leaked but in a few days of driving hard I'll lose a quart. This leak has been like this ever since the pcv valve went bad. I didn't drive it for that long with the pcv valve bad but could that have caused more damage than just the valve? I see some oil around the valve cover but I've wiped around it and no substantial oil spots have formed, although I def need to change it. The biggest oil spots are neat the Bov and on the transmission in that area. Also I see some by the throttle body and there is a bead at the bottom of the tranny. Also the bar between the cont4ol Arms I guess that's the sway bar or something it's like a round metal pole that's covered in oil. I'll get some pics later on or tomorrow but any help will be much appreciated on what I should look for or change. When looking at the turbo from the top I don't see and oil dropping down and I see a little oil spot on the end of one of the line (I'm not sure which line is which a diagram would be helpful if possible)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
So have you changed the PCV?
Going into boost with a bad valve means you are pressurizing the crank case and pushing oil through the other port on the valve cover. So any crack that is not completely sealed is getting oil pushed out it. There is a potential of not allowing the turbo to drain back into the crankcase properly and oil will get by the seals and also cause burnt and coked the bearings.
You need to fix that (PCV) first then clean up the engine area.
If you still lose oil and don't see any telltale signs on the outside of the engine, it can be; bad valve seals, bad piston rings, bad turbo seals
SER-ious likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridKid View Post
So have you changed the PCV?
Going into boost with a bad valve means you are pressurizing the crank case and pushing oil through the other port on the valve cover. So any crack that is not completely sealed is getting oil pushed out it. There is a potential of not allowing the turbo to drain back into the crankcase properly and oil will get by the seals and also cause burnt and coked the bearings.
You need to fix that (PCV) first then clean up the engine area.
If you still lose oil and don't see any telltale signs on the outside of the engine, it can be; bad valve seals, bad piston rings, bad turbo seals
So I replaced the pcv already with an OEM pcv. I also put a catch can and have a check valve to install. This oil leak is post pcv valve change. Will there be visible leaks if the valve seals are bad or the piston rings? Where should I be looking for concentrated oil spots? I guess I should really clean up the engine bay because from the bad pcv valve oil was shooting out the blow off valve like serious amounts of oil. But the oil is definitely coming down to under the transmission like I see little drops forming at the bottom of the transmission. What should be my next steps here?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM
"Made" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Waldmann View Post
So I replaced the pcv already with an OEM pcv. I also put a catch can and have a check valve to install. This oil leak is post pcv valve change. Will there be visible leaks if the valve seals are bad or the piston rings? No, you may see it on the sparkplugs looking black and oily or smoke coming out the exhaust on startup or acceleration. Where should I be looking for concentrated oil spots? Clean the engine first I guess I should really clean up the engine bay because from the bad pcv valve oil was shooting out the blow off valve like serious amounts of oil. But the oil is definitely coming down to under the transmission like I see little drops forming at the bottom of the transmission. Things above the transmission; Main Seal,
oil pan, head and valve cover
What should be my next steps here?Clean the engine bay and then see where the oil reappears then fix things in that area.
Answers in Blue above.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Quote:
Quote:
So I replaced the pcv already with an OEM pcv. I also put a catch can and have a check valve to install. This oil leak is post pcv valve change. Will there be visible leaks if the valve seals are bad or the piston rings? No, you may see it on the sparkplugs looking black and oily or smoke coming out the exhaust on startpup or acceleration. Where should I be looking for concentrated oil spots? Clean the engine first I guess I should really clean up the engine bay because from the bad pcv valve oil was shooting out the blow off valve like serious amounts of oil. But the oil is definitely coming down to under the transmission like I see little drops forming at the bottom of the transmission. Things above the transmission; Main Seal,
oil pan, head and valve cover
What should be my next steps here?Clean the engine bay and then see where the oil reappears then fix things in that area.
Answers in Blue above.
Okay thanks for the help. I will try to get the cleaning done tonight and will inspect the spark plugs. I'll tell you now that there is no smoke really coming out of the exhaust. A little bit of white smoke which is more like vapor or steam and nothing visible on acceleration or deceleration. No black smoke or blue smoke and like I said it's not thick, not sure if that means anything. Also the oil around the valve cover does not look new it looks like it's been there and definitely not enough to account for this leak. I mean this is a lot of oil and I can't seem to find where these quarts of oil are going. Also I just did an oil change and the oil that I'm wiping off my dipstick is dirty oil.

Another side note, when I check the oil on my dipstick I don't really get a clear reading like it's not one solid line. Any idea what could cause this?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
So I've had this oil leak for a while now. The harder I drive the worse the leak which makes me think it's the turbo. I had the car sit for 2 weeks and no oil leaked but in a few days of driving hard I'll lose a quart. This leak has been like this ever since the pcv valve went bad. I didn't drive it for that long with the pcv valve bad but could that have caused more damage than just the valve? I see some oil around the valve cover but I've wiped around it and no substantial oil spots have formed, although I def need to change it. The biggest oil spots are neat the Bov and on the transmission in that area. Also I see some by the throttle body and there is a bead at the bottom of the tranny. Also the bar between the cont4ol Arms I guess that's the sway bar or something it's like a round metal pole that's covered in oil. I'll get some pics later on or tomorrow but any help will be much appreciated on what I should look for or change. When looking at the turbo from the top I don't see and oil dropping down and I see a little oil spot on the end of one of the line (I'm not sure which line is which a diagram would be helpful if possible)
The oil around the valve cover may be due to someone changing the gasket but not Rtving the proper areas. Oil below BOV may be coming from this.

HybridKid and mrgray03 like this.

The Answer to 95% of your questions.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...anuals-355520/
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowryd View Post
Quote:
The oil around the valve cover may be due to someone changing the gasket but not Rtving the proper areas. Oil below BOV may be coming from this.

That's in the back of the engine right? Like under the turbo opposite side of the front bumper?

That's in the back of the engine opposite side of the front bumper under the turbo area? There's no oil pressure light on or anything though.

Also I've noticed my exhaust sounds more poppy like making more pop sounds and harder pops. What does that mean?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 AM
"Made" Member

Quote:
That's in the back of the engine opposite side of the front bumper under the turbo area? There's no oil pressure light on or anything though.

Also I've noticed my exhaust sounds more poppy like making more pop sounds and harder pops. What does that mean?
Yes that is the location, they can go bad though and leak.
Stock cars always Pop.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Quote:
Yes that is the location, they can go bad though and leak.
Stock cars always Pop.
I know that the pop is normal. It does have a mpx tbe though, but I was just saying that the pops have gotten more frequent and harder since the pcv valve fix. What is causing the exhaust to pop like that?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM
"Made" Member

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
I know that the pop is normal. It does have a mpx tbe though, but I was just saying that the pops have gotten more frequent and harder since the pcv valve fix. What is causing the exhaust to pop like that?
What causes the popping / backfire
HybridKid likes this.

The Answer to 95% of your questions.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...anuals-355520/
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM
"Made" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowryd View Post
Old brain sucks Now I remember.
Slowryd likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
So little update here. I got a change to look under the car today, and it looks like there's oil leaking from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0...ew?usp=sharing

What is that part that has those two rubber L fittings? Note that this image is under the area around the drivers wheel well. Note that it did rain a lot last night, and it was wet. So some of that is wet and not just oil. This oil leak is really driving me crazy. Can anyone give me a little synopsis of where oil travels that may have leaks? Sorry for the stupid questions here. This is my first car that I've owned that is turbo'd and has performance parts. So I've been doing a lot of research and learning a lot, but I sure as hell don't know everything. Also, in terms of repairs, I can almost do anything with a how-to guide or a youtube video lol

Last edited by Alex Waldmann; 04-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:27 PM
"Made" Member

Looks like the front EVAP valve, nothing to do with oil. Gasoline vapor is the only thing that goes through there, unless one of the one way valves is bad and then gasoline can make it into the canister.
On a turbo, the only difference as far as oil is concerned are the supply to lubricate and cool the turbo and the drain back into the crankcase after passing by the bearings. There is No pressure on the drain side.
Other than that, oil flow is the same as any other wet sump engine.
Oil Pan->Oil Pickup->Oil Pump->Oil Filter->Pressure Sensor/Crank/Piston/Bearings/Cams/Turbo/etc->Oil Pan
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
Okay cool. Yeah sorry for the dumb questions this is just driving me crazy. So just another fact to add, my brother and I were driving around the parkway yesterday and he said when I'd floor it, there would be a noticable amount of black smoke coming from my tail pipe, only when I floor it. I do have a catch can, but it wasn't hooked up at that time (one of the lines popped off when I was driving a little earlier, so I just re-attached the line straight from the pcv valve to the throttle body). He said he's never noticed it before, and he drives a jetta so you know he knows what the back of my car looks like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode