Dodge SRT Forum banner

Noisy interior

993 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  S34nconnery 
#1 ·
Basically as it gets colder out, a lot of shit is just squeaking and making noises and it pisses me off... Should I just accept this as part of it being colder here in cleveland or is there anything that you guys do quiet the car down in the inside? (if you have this problem)

#3 ·
I have solid mounts and the only squeaking I used to get was from the area near the instruments where the top of the dash board made contact with the areas around the steering wheel...simply took some old bicycle inner tube, cut up some timny pieces, popped up the dash, placed them between where the contact occurs, pushed it back down and no more sqeaks. Some of you guys might be getting those noises in other places though.

#4 ·
cool, yeah i have solid mounts as well. I will have to locate the exact noises and see what I can do. The main one is coming from the passenger side, which seems like inside the glovebox

#5 ·
have a ride along

Have someone in the passenger seat when your drive to find the noise. Have them look in the glovebox, feel it, listen, touch the suspect areas, move things around - then when you find the loose bolt or ratte etc - just apply some kind of fix.
I don't think I"ve ever been in a car without some kind of noise, creak (esp Chevy's), tire whine, wind noise, fuel pump moan etc

#9 ·
The second generation Neons including the SRT-4 trim levels may not have the highest quality finishes and materials but I've been pretty impressed with cars that have been well taken care of and how solidly they've held up. I've had an upgraded transaxle mount and the upper and lower torque strut mounts on my car along with four-puck ceramic clutch disc for almost 40k miles and even though there's a lot of vibration in the chassis when taking off from a stop the car has remained quiet and squeak rattle-free. Same thing with a good friend's car and many other nice examples I've ridden in with higher mileage.

If you aren't the original owner and don't know the history of the car or you have pulled interior trim panels out in the past there is a greater chance you might run into issues. For example, on the dash pad the area the screws used to secure it to the dash go through tend to break off. There are also a lot of pressure-fit clips that hold panels on such as the dash pieces, A-pillar trim, rocker panel/sill trim, etc. and when removed can easily damage the clips or plastic they attach to and will then let the piece move and be susceptible to vibration. With how vehicles are mass produced even the nicest car that has never been taken apart or modified could still have potential squeaks of rattles.

As suggested I'd get someone else to drive the car or ride as passenger and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Also while driving if you normally leave the radio and HVAC (heating/air-con) system on try turning them off and carefully listen to when noises occurr (impacts, while turning, when the ambient temps are low, etc.), the types of noises (squeak from rubbing, a loose rattling piece of trim and so on), and the general area its coming from. Once you think you've located the general proximity you can take panels off, use some pieces of felt, rubber, or foam sticky tape between panels as needed, repair/or replace clips, or consider installing sound dampening/deadening material.

#10 ·
Thanks man, yeah thats what I was going to do. I am taking my bud for a ride who does most of the work on the srt, and probably pull some things apart. Mainly the dashboard. I've never heard this noise before. So yeah I will try what you mentioned, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.