MFS Issue? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 82237
Default MFS Issue?

Hi, just tonight I was hanging out with some of my friends and I turned on my car to leave. After I turned the car on I twisted the MFS to turn on the headlights and the car just died. No power to anything, no lights, no nothing. I popped the hood and wiggled the terminals and they were solid.

I go back in the car and try it again and the car starts right up, headlights turn on without any drama and I'm on my way. This has happened a couple times before and I think the MFS was involved everytime in some way. Earlier that day I was getting off the highway and I turned my turn signal on and the car lost all power and then turned on again almost immediately.

I know I need to swap the switch because at times the fog lights switch on if I'm turning with the headlights on. So is the MFS the culprit by maybe grounding out or something? Or is this related to the ASD fuse/relay that I've been reading a little bit on...

"Just a Neon"
Neezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33812

I bet it's the MFS.

Take off the steering column cover and remove/inspect the wiring connector that plugs into the left side of that MFS assembly.

I bet it's Melty(tm).

The MFS's are notorious in Jeeps, Neons and other DCX products.
At the very least they're common, so you should be able to try another one (even a base model) for testing purposes.

rosejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Member Number: 8941
Premium Member

The MFS is notorious for melting wires. This causes all types of crazy issues and symptoms. I have fixed two in the past years, once with a donor harness, and once with the repair kit they sell at the dealer.

Unhook the battery, take the MFS off and see if any terminals are touching, or melted. It would be wise to have a spare before you do it.

Basically what rosejm said.

Somewhere I have a picture of my melted MFS. I can't find it.

"Maybe I should just stick to bolt-ons." -Hitler

I don't really want to wrench anymore. I'd rather detail.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 68977

Get ready for the Fire in the Dash, and also the burn smell with NO lights at all.
This is a $650.00 fix if the wiring is melted beyond where you can get to. I hate electrical and didn't trust my skills, so I let the stealership fix it. Was the best thing probably.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f24/...85/index2.html Post#18 = truth for stock vs. all others.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html

Also, Duster360 knows his $hit!
prevrexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Alright I got a new one from Autozone today and swapped it out. No more fog light flickering. The harness wasn't too messed up at all thankfully. We took it for a drive and all the power went out for a little bit and came back on. Taking a look at it, we think the paint on the new battery terminals was preventing it from getting a good connection. I did replace the ASD relay and that didn't change anything so I'm guessing that was not the issue. I will update on it later after going for another drive.

"Just a Neon"
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 68977

Quote: Originally Posted by Neezer View Post
Alright I got a new one from Autozone today and swapped it out. No more fog light flickering. The harness wasn't too messed up at all thankfully. We took it for a drive and all the power went out for a little bit and came back on. Taking a look at it, we think the paint on the new battery terminals was preventing it from getting a good connection. I did replace the ASD relay and that didn't change anything so I'm guessing that was not the issue. I will update on it later after going for another drive.

Just letting you know it might be a worthy investment to have an almost-permanent fix (never know). You'll have a year warranty as well--better than nothing, which takes out the guess-work.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f24/...85/index2.html Post#18 = truth for stock vs. all others.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html

Also, Duster360 knows his $hit!
prevrexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Member Number: 8941
Premium Member

Are you saying what I think you are saying?

I know someone who needs his battery replaced every two years, right before the full warranty is up. Like clockwork.

"Maybe I should just stick to bolt-ons." -Hitler

I don't really want to wrench anymore. I'd rather detail.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

So far so good. New terminal ring must have fixed it.

"Just a Neon"
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 83336

i have the same problem as well. I bought the connector and the repair kit, the connector has the black thing in the middle sticking out. How you put it in? lmk asap! thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 30934

You guys need to check the wiring harness that goes through the body for your lighting in the front where the intercooler is (driver side). Make sure the wires go over the intercooler not under it. The intercooler tends to sag a break the support brackets and then will crush and short out your wiring causing your MFS to melt/catch on fire.
381hp 336tq @ 14psi
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Scammer

Member Number: 86543

I didn't know they had a replacement at the dealer. I thought you had to buy the whole harness. I'm picking one of these up then. last I saw mine was crumbling in my hand.
shizzle03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85221

my fog lights have been flickering...i better dive in and fix it before i get some serious problems...
image_custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 82501

i have been having a problem where no low beamsand fog wouldnt come onnafter a little bit of drving they wouldcome on, now i have no low beam or fogs at all just high beam, hopefully this will do it, i can just get the replacment at autozone or sumthing or only the dealer
extremerado262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91518

I just went through this nightmare. I wired everything meticulously, but my hazards and turn signals still did not work. I surrendered after several hours and took my baby to Pep Boys, where the tech told me that I forgot to move the flasher relay from the old MFS to the new one. Does anyone have a picture of that relay or any idea where it is located? The tech was too busy to show me or something.
bpjmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91518

Also, everything works normally now. Guess that's important to mention.
bpjmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement