Dodge SRT Forum banner

Dealer trying to rip me off?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  atroph 
#1 ·
I have an '04 with a sunroof and yesterday after opening fine it will not close from the fully opened position. I tried looking in the tracks and didn't see any obstructions. I know there is a TSB on this problem.

There is no motor sound or anything when I push the button to close the roof. I took it to the dealer today and he says it will cost $80 just to look at the problem because they have to drop the headliner.

Does this sound like BS?? I havn't told him to do anything yet because I didn't think it sounded right. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
check the fuse mine did that when i first purchased my car and somehow the fuse blew

#3 ·
If the car is still under bumper to bumper than this will be covered. I had my front speakers replaced and I didnt think they would cover that but they did. If your not under warranty then yes, the dealership is gonna screw you. $80 bucks to look at it seems a bit steep but it sounds like what I would expect at my local dealer.

#4 ·
isnt the fuse the same one for the radio?? None of my fuses looked smoked and my radio works fine.

no more bumper to bumper. 39000 miles. Had no problems while under warranty of course. I called another dealer in the area and asked if I had a problem with the sunroof if they would have to drop the headliner and he said it was possible.

Guess I'll just go in and drop my drawers and prepare for the screwing.

#5 · (Edited)
danthaR/Tman said:
isnt the fuse the same one for the radio?? None of my fuses looked smoked and my radio works fine.
Fuses can look good and still be blown. Go buy a set at pepboys that comes with the little tester for like 5 bucks. Check them all.

I don't know if it's the same as the radio. I doubt it, but hey, I have an 03. Sunroofs not included.

#6 ·
Dont let the dealer do any work they bs everything if you got coverage fine take it to them but if you dont figure it out on your owen or go to a specialty shop that works on dodges the dealers are always after your money believe me i went through hell sueing a dealer i won in the end but it took a year to get my money back. You dont want that headache i was ripped off for a replacement oil pan sense mine ripped after debree put a nice hole in it they charged me over 800.00 for a part that was 115.00 and labor was 70 and hour and they only worked on uit for two hours plus i had to rent a car they did not give me a loner sense they had to order the part. And yes they paid my rental fees after i sued the shit out of them i didnt win big money but they lost business and i got all that i paid for back. plus the asshole tech that fliped me off got fired he flipped me off and made comments in front of my kid and i was really pissed. he f'd up my front bumper and did not admit it had a new bumper put on for free and painted. anyways stay away from the dealer they lie

#7 ·
Those fuckin cocksuckers are feedin you a line of shit..............i fixed the SAME prob. on mine from OUTSIDE the car, by removing the glass & resetting the black plastic latch cams, found on the rearward portion of the track assy. do a search for more repair details. ________5TOEZ_______

#8 · (Edited)
That is so weird during the first week of October I was on my way to work one morning. For some reason I opened the sunroof and it would not close back, it was stuck in the fully opened positon. All fuse were good I took it to my regular dealer. $99 to look at it and they told me it was the track mech had to be replaced and it would not be covered under my gold club extended warranty, after a $289.00 "hookup" and a free loaner car for two days, the car was "ready". Went to pick up the car, payed my money and the sunroof did the samething. I flipped out, they lent me another car, this time for a week and they replaced the motor, rail system and actual sunroof.

Dodge got involved so the motor, rail system and sunroof did not cost me any more money. But when I tried to get my $289 refunded Dodge and the dealer told me to fuck off. So although the sunroof seems to work now, I am afraid to touch it just in case it won't close again. Probably won't ever have the balls to use it again.

Guess I got off cheap, who do I send the Xmas cards too?

#9 ·
1 hour diag time for electrical problems is standard. sometimes its 1.5 hours depending on the dealer. they're not trying to rob you, they're trying to make a living. if it were any cheaper it would have to be free. i hate it when people bitch about paying to fix they're cars. you pay me for what i know, not what i do. if you cant fix it yourself, you have 2 options, leave it broke, or pay someone. STOP COMPLAINING!

#10 ·
ThePrimerSuspect, if you are telling me to stop complaining, I've got a lot to complain about.

1. I had a similar problem before the warranaty was up, I was told by the dealer that all they did was adjust the sunroof, yet Dodge has it documented that they replaced my entire sunroof...WTF...So the reason I complain is because it was a preexisting issue during my warranty period. I ONLY BUY NEW CARS, FOR THE MAIN REASON THAT IF I HAVE SOMETHING FUCKUP I DON'T HAVE TO COME OUT OF POCKET!

2. I purchased the extended warranaty from my old Dodge dealer, because they told me it was a bumper to bumper coverage with a $100.00 deductible.
I guess I should have read the fine print that bumper to bumper means something else. THIS WAS MY FAULT ON TRUSTING THE DEALER THAT I HAD DONE BUSINESS WITH FOR OVER TEN YEARS.

3. Although my sunroof now opens and closes, it doesn't do it right...instead of venting on the first push of the button it opens almost all the way and stops in the middle and I have to then hold the button until the sunroof opens all the way. SO IT IN MY OPIONION IS STILL NOT FIXED! BUT THEN AGAIN I AM NOT A MECHANIC. IN MY LINE OF WORK FIXED MEANS "WORKS LIKE IT USE TO, BEFORE IT GOT BROKE, VERN"

ThePrimerSuspect, I fully understand that people that don't have the knowledge to fix something must pay those that do. I too make a very comfortable living because of what I know and others don't. But points 1, 2, and 3 are prime examples of why the majority of the posters in this thread are saying "that if you take it to the dealer, your gonna get robbed"

Sometimes you just got to raise the :bs2: :bs2: flags.

I STILL WILL BUY DODGE, I STILL WILL TAKE THEM TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE OIL CHANGES.

But man what happen to the days that you payed more a the dealer because they would fix it right the first time.

#12 ·
TheShark said:
ThePrimerSuspect, if you are telling me to stop complaining, I've got a lot to complain about.

1. I had a similar problem before the warranaty was up, I was told by the dealer that all they did was adjust the sunroof, yet Dodge has it documented that they replaced my entire sunroof...WTF...So the reason I complain is because it was a preexisting issue during my warranty period. I ONLY BUY NEW CARS, FOR THE MAIN REASON THAT IF I HAVE SOMETHING FUCKUP I DON'T HAVE TO COME OUT OF POCKET!

2. I purchased the extended warranaty from my old Dodge dealer, because they told me it was a bumper to bumper coverage with a $100.00 deductible.
I guess I should have read the fine print that bumper to bumper means something else. THIS WAS MY FAULT ON TRUSTING THE DEALER THAT I HAD DONE BUSINESS WITH FOR OVER TEN YEARS.

3. Although my sunroof now opens and closes, it doesn't do it right...instead of venting on the first push of the button it opens almost all the way and stops in the middle and I have to then hold the button until the sunroof opens all the way. SO IT IN MY OPIONION IS STILL NOT FIXED! BUT THEN AGAIN I AM NOT A MECHANIC. IN MY LINE OF WORK FIXED MEANS "WORKS LIKE IT USE TO, BEFORE IT GOT BROKE, VERN"

ThePrimerSuspect, I fully understand that people that don't have the knowledge to fix something must pay those that do. I too make a very comfortable living because of what I know and others don't. But points 1, 2, and 3 are prime examples of why the majority of the posters in this thread are saying "that if you take it to the dealer, your gonna get robbed"

Sometimes you just got to raise the :bs2: :bs2: flags.

I STILL WILL BUY DODGE, I STILL WILL TAKE THEM TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE OIL CHANGES.

But man what happen to the days that you payed more a the dealer because they would fix it right the first time.
you are absolutely right and i would not settle for anything less than perfection when you take your car to be fixed. BUT all im saying is that we're not trying to rob you (at least most of us are'nt) we just want to make a living and bring home a decent paycheck. im not going to look at your car for free. what if the first time you had a problem, the tech took 1 look at it and fixed it in 3 seconds? would you feel that since it only took him a couple seconds that you would not have to pay? because a lot of people do and if that were the case, i would'nt be able to have my car and pay my rent. if you knew how to fix it you would have and you wouldnt need the dealer. this is one of the main reasons that im getting out of this industry all together. everybody thinks im out to take advantage of them and its not the case. am i wrong for getting a little offended when people call me a theif?

#13 ·
ThePrimerSuspect said:
This is one of the main reasons that im getting out of this industry. Everybody thinks im out to take advantage of them and its not the case. Am i wrong for getting a little offended when people call me a theif?
That's why I got out. People almost never appreciated the effort/hours/commitment/integrity/quality of work/etc.
Now I work 1/10th as hard and am MUCH more appreciated.
It's crazy.

#14 ·
The reason I was asking if I was getting screwed is because they didn't want to listen when I was telling them about the TSB on this being a problem on Neons. Plus the guy just acted shady anyway. I know some are honest and hard working but I've had nothing but problems with "dealer" service.

No my car is not under warranty (40,000 miles) so it was all coming out of my pocket. I am going to school and working full time so I didn't have time to really screw with it. I looked at the black cam things but couldn't see anything out of place.

It ended up costing me $370 for a new motor btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.