Clunking and rattling noise under acceleration right side front end. - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 2759
Default Clunking and rattling noise under acceleration right side front end.

This problem started about 2 weeks ago and has gotten significantly worse. Every time I accelerate really fast and let off the gas there's a clunking noise on the right side front end. I even hear it when I start up the car sometimes. When I accelerate and let of really quickly it almost sounds like something is rocking back and forth. Is it the axle? Thanks.
Speedooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75469

Why not just get down there and check it out? Also look for grease around the cv boots when you're down there. CV joints on their way out can cause Noise/vibration on accel AND decel.

As far as the noise you're hearing during start up, it could be a different issue, for example, it could be a motor mount. Have a friend listen and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from while you start the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
User Banned

Member Number: 35677
Default typical culprits

The clunk is usually the ball joint getting worn, needing grease or is just shot. Second front end culprit (round up the usual suspects!) is the front c-arms. The OEM rubber deteriorates and the long arm can clunk due to the bushing material disintegrating.

CV joints failing will make a rapid clicking sound during acceleration at any steering angle.

Then move on to struts, end link bushings, motor mounts.........
ValleyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 90013

Ive had this before, and it could be a worn upper strut mount. Turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times. Do you get any noise? Rust can make those stick and free up. Thus your " clicking sound ". - Dave
ToyoTech8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I went under there to look today and saw a bit of grease buildup. I don't think it's the CV joints b/c there's no clicking. Motor mounts seem to be ok. Taking it in to the stealership. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86430

Most likely its the lower control arm bushings or ball joints. You can buy replacement control arms made by Moog for about $120 each and they'll come with new OE style rubber bushings and ball joints. Then you can rebuild your factory arms with urethane bushings and new ball joints to keep as spares.

I had the same issue recently, however it turned out to be a broken upper motor mount bolt. Best I can tell is that it broke sometime between doing my timing belt (the last time my upper mount was removed) and when I replaced the rack and pinion. I got lucky though, as I had about 1/4" of bolt sticking out of the mounting plate on the engine block, so replacing it was easy.

DROID3

Last edited by 4FishLimit; 09-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.
4FishLimit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87508

I'm having the same problem. Just recently replaced lower motor mount and urethathe bushings on LCA's. Loud clunking noise when only turning right.. Everything looks fine from under neath..
Zygomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 64194

Could be the motor mount

SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.C

Modern Performance
Decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

It actually ended up being the lower motor mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement