clunk in steering column - Page 5 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum
 
 


Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #61 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Slowpoke Rodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member Number: 11193
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Default

Wow. *Back from the dead. *i actually ran in to this post back then. *I had the same clicking sound back in 2005 and got it fixed by the dealer. *It is the clock spring, as it has been suggested. *Past 80k miles, I also had the clunking sound and eventually the clicking came back. *Then side to side/up and down *movement and grinding when i turned. *Google "Neon hsg04b". *I believe the bearing in this housing went bad and is what caused the clunking, grinding, and play.. *I live on the border so I went column hunting in junk yards in Mexico. *I check many columns in many junk yards, and they all had play, until i found a solid one. *Any neon's column fits srt and many other Dodge/chrysler cars will work, but I forget which. *I got the whole column down to where it bolts to the piece that goes into the firewall for $75. *There is adjustment around where the u-joint is that helps with in/out movement, *The column change took less then half our. *I dissected the old column and that's when I found the bearing was bad, and very few balls left. *Hope this helps.

iPad

Last edited by Slowpoke Rodriguez; 01-08-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: grammar!
Slowpoke Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #62 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Roadkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member Number: 24241
Location: Leominster,MA
Posts: 4,343
Default

I am going to take mine apart this weekend and have a closer look.
Where was the bad bearing, on the steering wheel side of the column?
__________________

12.33@114.36
339whp 381ft-lb<Mustang dyno
Externally gated Stg3 turbo+bolt ons
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #63 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
harold97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member Number: 63330
Location: MA
Posts: 345
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I am going to take mine apart this weekend and have a closer look.
Where was the bad bearing, on the steering wheel side of the column?

I would really like to know what you find! I have done A LOT of searching for pictures, and this is the closest I have found.







These are actually from a website about converting a Gen2 Neon into a rally car…really cool! Here is a link: rallynotes | A site about building and racing a rally car in the United States.

I don't see any sort of bearing or bushing, but at least it shows a little. PLEASE take a few pics, or at least give me a good description of what you find! I wonder if I can weld (actual or JB, LOL!) a sealed bearing between the shaft and the tube.
__________________
97 DOHC Deep Amethyst Sport Sedan
05 Black SRT-4

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #64 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Slowpoke Rodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member Number: 11193
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I am going to take mine apart this weekend and have a closer look.
Where was the bad bearing, on the steering wheel side of the column?



This site has the part. I suggest you check inside the column first. They appears to have the individual parts too.


Last edited by Slowpoke Rodriguez; 01-08-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Slowpoke Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #65 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
harold97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member Number: 63330
Location: MA
Posts: 345
Default

Thank you...that helps!

I contacted them, and this was their response:

Thank you for visiting and contacting us through Steering Column Parts, Replacement, & How to Instructions. We provide steering column parts and repair information worldwide.
The bearing is not servicable. You will need to replace the upper lock housing to replace that bearing. Chrysler does not sell this cast piece separately, but we do. Here is the part (dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04 cast housing assembly | Steering Column Services) and here are the instructions (dodge chrysler plymouth Ignition switch and Lock Housing replacement Instructions | Steering Column Services) on how to replace the assembly the easiest way.

I hope this helps

Customer Service

Steering Column Services.com
1301 Big Soldier Ct
Ivins, UT 84738



I suspect that this is what I will end up doing. I don't want to take everything apart twice, but I may have to just to see what's going on before I pay $145 for a part. I don't understand how this could get loose, based on what I am looking at here.
__________________
97 DOHC Deep Amethyst Sport Sedan
05 Black SRT-4

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
 
modernceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member Number: 313
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,403
Lifetime Premium Member
Default

I had a problem with a binding/clunking noise in my steering column in my srt4 swapped 95 Neon. From what I found, the bearing in the column is not serviceable, so I went and found a new steering column out of a 03-05 Neon that I bought cheap. Swapped it in and its working great now.
__________________
(please dont send me private messages)
Have a question about a product, or order? For fastest response call us at 1-877-247-6366 or email us at info@modernperformance.com

Cory Haines
Modern Performance Racing Products
www.modernperformance.com

Be a fan of MP on Facebook! We have daily news, flash sales ONLY on facebook, new product announcements, etc. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Modern...e/216743739661
modernceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #67 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Slowpoke Rodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member Number: 11193
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Default

Harold97

I would not go with:

dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04 cast housing assembly | Steering Column Services

I would instead go with:

dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04b cast housing case | Steering Column Services

It is $75.00, and if your bearing is bad, it is what you need.

As stated by the gentleman from Modern, a used column is also a good option. There are many chysler/dodge cars that share the column it self.

Anyway, please share how it goes.

Last edited by Slowpoke Rodriguez; 01-09-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Slowpoke Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #68 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
harold97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member Number: 63330
Location: MA
Posts: 345
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez View Post
Harold97

I would not go with:

dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04 cast housing assembly | Steering Column Services

I would instead go with:

dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04b cast housing case | Steering Column Services

It is $75.00, and if your bearing is bad, it is what you need.

As stated by the gentleman from Modern, a used column is also a good option. There are many chysler/dodge cars that share the column it self.

Anyway, please share how it goes.

Yes, they called me after I posted that, and I found out that the $75 part is the same, but with less hardware installed. I would just need to transfer parts from my old one to the new one.

I will probably order it later today. I don't have time to find one in a salvage yard, and I don't want to risk getting another one that is about to do that same thing.
__________________
97 DOHC Deep Amethyst Sport Sedan
05 Black SRT-4

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #69 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Roadkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member Number: 24241
Location: Leominster,MA
Posts: 4,343
Default

So i got everything off the column except this piece



Since there is a bearing inside you think this piece could be pressed on.
The manual i have says its not replaceable so they don't say how to get that piece off
__________________

12.33@114.36
339whp 381ft-lb<Mustang dyno
Externally gated Stg3 turbo+bolt ons
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Slowpoke Rodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member Number: 11193
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Default

did you remove the column from the car? That is very easy to do. I did disassemble mine but I don't recall how, but you need it off the car.
Slowpoke Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Roadkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member Number: 24241
Location: Leominster,MA
Posts: 4,343
Default

I didn't remove the Coulum yet. I might pull it out today and pull that piece off.

I was hoping that I didn't have to pull the whole colum out but if that piece is pressed on then i need to pull it.
__________________

12.33@114.36
339whp 381ft-lb<Mustang dyno
Externally gated Stg3 turbo+bolt ons
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #72 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
harold97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member Number: 63330
Location: MA
Posts: 345
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I didn't remove the Coulum yet. I might pull it out today and pull that piece off.

I was hoping that I didn't have to pull the whole colum out but if that piece is pressed on then i need to pull it.

Would you be able to post a couple of pictures of it? steeringcolumnservices.com offers instructions for $18…I figured I would not need to order them, but now I am reconsidering…LOL!

If you look at the picture in this link, it looks like it is clamped on with two torx nuts on the top, and the ignition lock cutout keeps it in the right place. Is it more complicated than that?
dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04 cast housing assembly | Steering Column Services
__________________
97 DOHC Deep Amethyst Sport Sedan
05 Black SRT-4

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #73 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Roadkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member Number: 24241
Location: Leominster,MA
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by harold97 View Post
Would you be able to post a couple of pictures of it? steeringcolumnservices.com offers instructions for $18…I figured I would not need to order them, but now I am reconsidering…LOL!

If you look at the picture in this link, it looks like it is clamped on with two torx nuts on the top, and the ignition lock cutout keeps it in the right place. Is it more complicated than that?
dodge chrysler plymouth steering column housings and bearings hsg04 cast housing assembly | Steering Column Services

Harold, any pictures specific your looking for?

I emailed the company asking them about this part and this is their response

Hello Gary:

Thank you for visiting and contacting us through Steering Column Parts, Replacement, & How to Instructions. We provide steering column parts and repair information worldwide.
The housing is clamped on but the inner shaft needs to be removed to release it. We have step-by-step instructions here on exactly how to replace this part in the car.

I'm not really looking to spend $18 on instructions that i really only need for bascially one step.
I will most likely pull the whole column this week and try and figure out how to release that part.
__________________

12.33@114.36
339whp 381ft-lb<Mustang dyno
Externally gated Stg3 turbo+bolt ons
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #74 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
harold97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Member Number: 63330
Location: MA
Posts: 345
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Harold, any pictures specific your looking for?

I emailed the company asking them about this part and this is their response

Hello Gary:

Thank you for visiting and contacting us through Steering Column Parts, Replacement, & How to Instructions. We provide steering column parts and repair information worldwide.
The housing is clamped on but the inner shaft needs to be removed to release it. We have step-by-step instructions here on exactly how to replace this part in the car.

I'm not really looking to spend $18 on instructions that i really only need for bascially one step.
I will most likely pull the whole column this week and try and figure out how to release that part.

I have figured out much of it from looking at the front and back pictures of the part, the pics I posted earlier from the rally car website, and from a couple of videos about replacing the ignition lock. Some pictures of the upper bearing area might be helpful, as well as a description of how it comes apart and goes together.

The guy I talked to said something about the steering column being spring loaded to hold it in place.

I got sidetracked this weekend when I had to rebuild my washing machine, but I'm about to order the part. I think I will go with the cheaper one and move my stuff over from the existing part. I need this to go smoothly since it is my only functional car and I don't have time for stuff to go wrong, so I may buy the instructions. Maybe we should split the cost of the instructions since we are doing the same thing...LOL!

BTW, th videos show that regular torx bits won't fit...they are some sort of security type with a hole in the middle. Maybe everyone else already knows this, but I would not have been happy to discover that part way through, so I thought I would mention it!
__________________
97 DOHC Deep Amethyst Sport Sedan
05 Black SRT-4

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #75 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
Slowpoke Rodriguez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member Number: 11193
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by harold97 View Post
I have figured out much of it from looking at the front and back pictures of the part, the pics I posted earlier from the rally car website, and from a couple of videos about replacing the ignition lock. Some pictures of the upper bearing area might be helpful, as well as a description of how it comes apart and goes together.

The guy I talked to said something about the steering column being spring loaded to hold it in place.

I got sidetracked this weekend when I had to rebuild my washing machine, but I'm about to order the part. I think I will go with the cheaper one and move my stuff over from the existing part. I need this to go smoothly since it is my only functional car and I don't have time for stuff to go wrong, so I may buy the instructions. Maybe we should split the cost of the instructions since we are doing the same thing...LOL!

BTW, th videos show that regular torx bits won't fit...they are some sort of security type with a hole in the middle. Maybe everyone else already knows this, but I would not have been happy to discover that part way through, so I thought I would mention it!


I bought this to fix a microwave and ended being quite useful for the neon. It includes all the torx that will need for this job. Stupid cheap too:

100 Piece Security Bit Set

Download the service manual if you haven’t already for instructions on removing the column:

2004 Chrysler/Dodge Neon/SX 2.0/SRT-4 Factory Service Manual

I did not use a steering-wheel puller to remove the wheel. I gently tapped it with a rubber mallet and pulled gently. Careful not to hit yourself on the face as I did when it suddenly released.

There is also a large pin to remove and reuse. The column is spring loaded but that is best released once you remove the column.

The more expensive housing is for an auto transmission. You will have to mod anyway so in my opinion, it is not worth it.

I originally bought kit 5159136AB thinking that it had everything, but as I know now, it did not include the bearing because it is not serviceable, and it does not include the housing. This kit would be useful if your column rod is damaged.
Slowpoke Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.



(C) SRTforums.com

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2