clunk in steering column - Page 4 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 90013

Wierd, alot of people have this issue. Mine did that a little after i bought it, Its not a "clunk" but its a constant clicking type noise if i turn the wheel back and forth. Sounds like a piece of plastic is rollin around in the wheel lol.
ToyoTech8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 63330

Thank you for the replies!

It is not a rotating noise, and there is not much play when pushing and pulling the wheel. It bounces up and down when I go over certain kinds of bumps and rattles. Sometimes it is loud enough to hear, but but mostly, it feels loose.

My steering wheel seems to be on tight (no wheel-to-shaft movement) and as far as I know, the column is original and has not been in a crash. I bought it in 2008 with 7900 miles and it now has just over 50k miles. This rattle is a recent development.

The shaft is in a tube, so I am not able to see it move, and I can't see the upper bearing (??) because I did not remove the wheel and all the other stuff that is behind where it attaches to shaft.

Does anyone have pics of the area where the shaft come out of the tube? I would prefer to fix it myself, but want to know exactly what it is in case I have someone else do it!

Btw, ToyoTech8811...I think you work right down the street from me. I can't believe we haven't seen each other driving around!

How to dramatically improve your gas pedal mount!
harold97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86725

Sounds like we all have different problems.

All are common though, I've searched about this plenty of times.

Forward Motion E1, LCR ported & polished manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate. Powered by: E-85

Tuned by Dave, aka Duster360
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #49 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by 1guy2horses View Post
Sounds like we all have different problems.

All are common though, I've searched about this plenty of times.

Haha...yes, maybe! I have done a ton of searching for this, and have found lot about the clicking, but nothing useful info for what I have.

Does anyone have a picture of the upper support for the steering shaft? Is there some sort of bearing in there that can be adjusted, shimmed, or replaced?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #50 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

From my research the clicking is due to the clock spring. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I remember reading.

Forward Motion E1, LCR ported & polished manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate. Powered by: E-85

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #51 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77511

it's the u-joint like link in the column, or the clock spring, but usually a clock spring doesn't clunk.
Boostinfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I've taken up slack in the u-joint per instructions from "Dr. Who".. Didn't fix the problem.

The clunk seems like it's coming from this spring that has a little washer around it, on the column. I've moved up the washer to put more tension on the spring (fixing the clunk), but it always ends up working it's way down the column and clunking again.

It's hard to explain but if you've been in there and observed you'll know what spring and washer I'm talking about.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #53 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by greenneonsrt View Post
There's a few different things that could cause it

first read the FSM if you've had the column out at all, there is a centering procedure that has to be done before you tighten anything or it will bind under certain conditions.

second if you bought the column used, or it's been in accident, or someone didn't know how to take the steering wheel off and pulled on it or took a hammer to the center bolt then they damaged the column and it has to be replaced.

All modern cars have collapsible steering columns for safety reasons in accidents, if you impact them at all you can start to collapse them and they have to be replaced, no way around it. I had to replace mine when I first got the car because the previous owner had hit the center bolt with a hammer to take the wheel off.

I just read your thread from a year and a half ago...did you fix yours?

I've taken up slack in the u-joint per instructions from "Dr. Who".. Didn't fix the problem.

The clunk seems like it's coming from this spring that has a little washer around it, on the column. I've moved up the washer to put more tension on the spring (fixing the clunk), but it always ends up working it's way down the column and clunking again.

It's hard to explain but if you've been in there and observed you'll know what spring and washer I'm talking about.

Is it behind the clockspring? Does that washer support the steering shaft in the metal tube?

I have seen the Dr Who posts, but it does not look like it applies to this. mine is verticle movement that is near/at where the steering wheel is attached. I'm not sure how this would suddenly wear enough for verticle movement only. I can move the steering wheel up and down without the column moving, and there is no perceptible movement in the u-joint at the other end.

Does anyone have a picture behind the clockspring? I have been searching, but not found it yet.

Last edited by harold97; 12-22-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

you are talking abou the lock/tension spring which i hate those damn things, always a pain to compress and get the snap ring out.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I can't seem to find out why the spring decompresses itself. It's almost like the retainer isn't holding it.

When I have a friend pull on the wheel towards the back of the car I can see the spring moving and popping.

Like I said I've managed to push the retainer up farther and it goes away for a day, and then back to the same old shit.

Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #56 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

try a thicker snap ring maybe? and maybe a nice thick washer.. other then that i'd have to look at pic's to come up with any ideas. as i can't picture it in my head.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I'll take some and post them for you.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I'll take some and post them for you.

I would appreciate that as well…it would help me a lot!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #59 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 24241

Harold I'm having the same issue as you. When i grab the steering wheel there is no movement side to side but there is a bit of movement up and down. Mine has been like this for a few months and it seems like it getting worse

12.33@114.36
339whp 381ft-lb<Mustang dyno
Externally gated Stg3 turbo+bolt ons
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Shit I totally forgot about this. I'll be working on my car tomorrow. I'll snap some pictures of said spring and retainer that cause the in-and-out clunk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement