Car is making a bad noise when clutch is let out out of gear - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems & Dealer Service

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84231
Default Car is making a bad noise when clutch is let out out of gear

Ok it just started doing this today randomly. When the car is in gear and I'm driving it shifts great and doesn't slip at all, but when I am at a standstill and the car is out of gear and I let the clutch out the car makes a bad noise like a knocking noise. Hopefully this is not a big issue because I just bought this car and am in the process of selling my other car!! Any advice is appreciated so I can have some info when I go to a shop.
1fstGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33498

Sounds like your middle mount bushing is toast so when the load is transferred it knocks. You can check the mount and the bushing through the front passenger wheel well with the tire off. Also check the bolts holding the mount in the engine bay, they have a tendency to wiggle themselves loose.

Edit: Misread original post and the "out of gear" part. The problem I described comes as a pop or clunk when letting the clutch out from a stop in gear.
This thread makes my pants tight.

Last edited by OrangeBlastedSRT; 04-28-2011 at 12:45 AM.
OrangeBlastedSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 53381

WEird.. I have a similar issue, and haven't heard this.. I attributed it too the chatters noise of the ACT clutch.. My 4th mount is shot bad, but the other 3 are all hard mounts.

07' Shelby GT500
630hp
Pulley, Intake, Tune and x-pipe.

07' Jeep SRT8
420ish
The Hotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
WEird.. I have a similar issue, and haven't heard this.. I attributed it too the chatters noise of the ACT clutch.. My 4th mount is shot bad, but the other 3 are all hard mounts.

You might be right, after rereading his post again he said "out of gear" and I was thinking he meant when starting from a stop in gear. Even with my stock clutch there is a very faint noise, almost chatterish, that is present when sitting in neutral letting the clutch out, once the pedal is up it is gone though. I always assumed it had something to do with the crankshaft spinning. It has been there since my car was new but as I said it is very faint. We seriously have some loud transmissions.

My middle mount bit the dust a few weeks after I installed solids

Last edited by OrangeBlastedSRT; 04-28-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by OrangeBlastedSRT View Post
You might be right, after rereading his post again he said "out of gear" and I was thinking he meant when starting from a stop in gear. Even with my stock clutch there is a very faint noise, almost chatterish, that is present when sitting in neutral letting the clutch out, once the pedal is up it is gone though. I always assumed it had something to do with the crankshaft spinning. It has been there since my car was new but as I said it is very faint. We seriously have some loud transmissions.

My middle mount bit the dust a few weeks after I installed solids

I would call it chatterish that is a good term. And it only makes the noise like you said when the clutch is out, but it still makes the noise even when the clutch is all the way out. The only time the noise goes away completely is when it's in gear or when I have the clutched pushed in al the way. It's not so loud that you could distinguish it from the engine noise and borla exhaust if you didn't listen hard, but having driven the vehicle I can definitely hear it inside and outside the car. Hmmm hopefully it's just a cable and not the transmission going bad. I mean if it shifts great I am probably at minimum risk right?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

What clutch are you running? What you are describing is normal with most aftermarket clutches as they usually are paired with lightweight flywheels.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 29605

It's clutch chatter.. completely normal.
SNOOPALOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by OrangeBlastedSRT View Post
What clutch are you running? What you are describing is normal with most aftermarket clutches as they usually are paired with lightweight flywheels.

The guy told me but I can't remember. All I know is it is supposed to have less than 5k miles on it and it's a much better clutch than stock. And as long as it's not hurting anything it's cool with me i don't usually have the clutch out with it out of gear anyways. It's just weird that it just started doing it all of a sudden.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Sound went away today... hmmm.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 43366

Do this (in a safe area of course): Drive the car to higher RPMs and shift gears quickly, starting in first. if you have any problems getting into gear, then its the syncros in the transmission.
AGP 50 trim kit, MPx 62mm tb, apexi avc-r, afc neo, greddy tt, vibrant exaust, ais fmic, 750cc, aem fuel regulator/ return kit, walbro 255 fp, agp mm/tm, k&n, xs-H bov, ngk iridiums, msd 8.5's, CFH, H beams, Weisco pistons, thats the good stuff!
stage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 43836
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by stage5 View Post
Do this (in a safe area of course): Drive the car to higher RPMs and shift gears quickly, starting in first. if you have any problems getting into gear, then its the syncros in the transmission.

Uh- what?
Only1Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 43366

from a stop..take off and don't shift gears until you're over like 4k rpm ( so they're spinning fast) . shift faster than usual ( as in moving the stick). if you hear any grinding or have problems getting in gear, (usually 2nd or 3 because of the gear ratio) then they're probably starting to go out. you can look up how transmissions synchronizers work and it will make more sense.
AGP 50 trim kit, MPx 62mm tb, apexi avc-r, afc neo, greddy tt, vibrant exaust, ais fmic, 750cc, aem fuel regulator/ return kit, walbro 255 fp, agp mm/tm, k&n, xs-H bov, ngk iridiums, msd 8.5's, CFH, H beams, Weisco pistons, thats the good stuff!
stage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by stage5 View Post
from a stop..take off and don't shift gears until you're over like 4k rpm ( so they're spinning fast) . shift faster than usual ( as in moving the stick). if you hear any grinding or have problems getting in gear, (usually 2nd or 3 because of the gear ratio) then they're probably starting to go out. you can look up how transmissions synchronizers work and it will make more sense.

haha oh don't worry I shift fast at high rpms pretty often, especially when something like a honda needs to be shown how it's done. But it shifts great in that sense. It hates downshifting too third unless you rev match though, like rev while putting into gear then it shifts great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement