Who has used a dynomax type chambered muffler? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22922
Default Who has used a dynomax type chambered muffler?

I'm making a 2.5 or 3" catback for my SRT, and I want the car as quiet as possible. I'm leaning towards a high end dynomax chambered muffler (i.e. "super turbo"). They usually have 3 chambers, and are very quiet. Has anyone ever used a muffler like this? What is the consensus on 2.5" vs. 3" for a ~275rwhp SRT?

Please only reply if you're very informed on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3672

Do not use any kind of chambered muffler on a turbo car. With the Dynomax Super Turbo, the exhaust gasses have to go through a lot of twists and turns in theat muffler...not a good choice.

Use a straight through muffler, Magnaflow or the Dynomax Ultraflow. I use Magnaflow on all my stuff. Excellect sound supression and great hp. The Ultraflows are about the same, just made a little cheaper.
SCOTT@MAXXFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 12457

Saw a 3000GT moving slowly through a parking lot the other day. It sounded great at idle, had a loud and deep grumble. Asked him what he had on there and he said 3'' strait back single pipe, no-cat with a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler on the end of it . Also had a huge exhaust tip hanging off the muffler, looked pretty cool.
19 psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 2012

I agree with Scott. I used a Magnaflow muffler on my SRT-4 at one time. It actually made it quieter than stock even though it was a 2 1/2" muffler. Suprisingly, with a cutout after the 3" downpipe, there was only a 5 hp drop in power when running through the muffler vs. through the cutout!!

Fastest privately owned/driven SRT-4 at NPR's road course during the 2004 SRT4 National Meet

Drive it like you stole it.

Yes, I'm a water injection whore!!
91CavGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Well I'm looking to have my car sound like a stock non-srt neon (e.g. very quiet). I think I'll just do a simple 3" (using mandral bents close to the turbo, muffler bends towards the back) catback with the 2.5" dynomax muffler. The car made 230whp as it sits stock, so I'll dyno after to see if I lose any power over the stock catback.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8379

With the DynoMax Super Turbo, the exhaust makes (2) 180deg turns. they used weird, funks cupped flow directors. its still going to be kinda deep loud.

The DynoMax Ultra Flow SS mufflers are straight thru and have stainless steel wool packing. Real nice.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

More turns = quieter muffler. I've used them before on a couple of late model 10 second Camaros with good results. You get a bit more backpressure than a straight through muffler, but its pretty far back in the exhaust system, so not as critical. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3193

Quote: Originally Posted by Terry Burger
Well I'm looking to have my car sound like a stock non-srt neon (e.g. very quiet). I think I'll just do a simple 3" (using mandral bents close to the turbo, muffler bends towards the back) catback with the 2.5" dynomax muffler. The car made 230whp as it sits stock, so I'll dyno after to see if I lose any power over the stock catback.

If you're going to use a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler, I'd use a model that has 3" internal tubing (like PN 17773 or 17774).

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
cptcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
"Made" Member

Member Number: 9266
Lifetime Premium Member

it will not be that loud. I had the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on my Camaro. Barely audible @ idle but you got on it and it was loud so it could be both quiet and loud. I got rid of it later for a Blowmaster
1999 Chevy Camaro (SOLD!)
N0sferatU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement