Dodge SRT Forum banner

What is the issue with using the MSD coil pack?

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  SRT4night 
#1 ·
I keep hearing its not good to go with the option of MSD coil pack but to use the stock one instead? I thought and aftermarket company like MSD would be alot better?... also what about the MSD spark plug wires? those ko?

#4 ·
The coil is exposed to a significant amount of radiant heat being so close to the turbofold. The shield will reduce this and potentially extend the life of your coil as well as help it to perform as best as it could versus no shield and added heat.
The msd isn't going to be an upgrade of any sort versus the stock coil, but it may sound cool to tell your friends or intimidate some when you pop your hood but useless and probably a downgrade in my opinion

#7 ·
Nothing is wrong with it. I have ran mine for over 20k plus miles with no issue but I also have a heat shield on the turbo and a coil heat shield since im big turbo.

#12 ·
I bought a car that didn't have upper or lower heat shield but came with a broken one in the trunk.
It's made from some fairly thick aluminum.
For the time being at least I traced it onto some thin metal I found in my attic and made my own. :)

#10 ·
People say stay away, because there have been a lot of MSD coil failures over the years. The MSD, for some reason, falls prey to the radiant turbo heat and ends up failing. Stock packs work great. Heatshield is always always a good idea to protect the pack and the wires from the heat.

#20 ·
According to MSD they had a insulation problem on the earlier production runs.. has been fixed since as they now use a different insulation material. I have had 1 on my DD for over 70K not a single issue, and my toy for over 30k and no issues, other than a hotter spark.

Yes, I know.. your milage may vary and this is just my exp,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.