Virtual dyno - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87964
Default Virtual dyno

first off is this in the correct sub-forum, If not im sorry, Secondly i know im going to get flamed for this.

and finally has anyone tried the virtual dyno by brad barnhill? if you have did you like it, it says its supposed to work with diablosport software.

2004 NSRT Flame Red, AGP wastegate, AGP Solid motor mounts, Eibach Street line springs, Energy suspension bushings, Maddog 58% STS, 3" downpipe w cutout, AEM SRI, Home Depot Catch Can, 750cc DW injectors
draxxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

Virtual dyno just sounds bad...
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 45182

Yes I have it. I got it a couple years ago but honestly I haven't had much time to play with it.

Correction i had "TT Dyno"
They look very similiar

PLEASE USE EMAIL!!dave at needlesstorque dot com

Last edited by duster360; 01-04-2013 at 07:05 AM.
duster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86743

I have the virtual dyno software on my laptop. Really good little program. Lots of different settings and what-not. I've used it, and I can't say that I don't like it. But, would much rather be on a legitimate mustang dyno with proper calibration and smoothing factors setup correctly by a proffessional and all that jazz but I enjoyed it. Not going to post a snap shot of my dyno graph cos I know I will get flamed, but even with the dyno setup as best as my friend and I coukd, setup to read like a mustang dyno, my numbers weren't too bad. Was really impressed actually given the way my cars setup. Not too many memeber o.n here play with it or tuners, but most of the EVO/dem guys use it and are email tu.ed with it and post up there numbers and are happy. Yea, its not 100% accurate, but its pretty Damn accurate if you ask me and a lot beeter than to tu.e without it if you don't have a dyno tune and or a dyno to measure power on.
SIX-SIX-SIX'ONE'NINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 19752

It's been used very reliably for several years now in the Evo world (where I spent the last 5 years). The name may sound like some cheesy 80s NES game, but it's a trusted tool among tuners who don't have access to a dyno. Once you do a pull and data log it, just upload it in virtual dyno. Select your car from a list and adjust to your tire size (rolling diameter). Evoscan and Virtual Dyno are to Evo's/dsm's as Diablo Sport is to SRT's.

You can adjust the smoothing factor, as well as between Dynojet and Mustang. One thing to keep in mind about using a dyno is that your power changes right along with the weather and all it's different factors. They are "reference" tools only. Getting a dyno tune is much safer because you aren't on a public road, but it's only a simulation of road tune. I highly doubt that shop fan they use can get anywhere close to air's actual substance when you're hitting speeds upwards of 100mph. It's best to have the tuner in the car with you so they can make immediate changes and see/feel the car's reactions. If not, emailing the tuner your data log is the next best thing.

Last edited by bigben; 01-04-2013 at 04:42 AM.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85528

Ive used it on my evo and two friends evos each were at most 10whp/10wtq off of our dyno sheets mine was like 5whp and 8wtq

Impressive if you ask me just make sure your weight is dead on and your on a very flat road. Bumps throw it off badly.
-Stage 3 kit
-Stage 3 coilovers
TylerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87964

I just set up a profile for the car ill let everyonenknow how it looks im only expecting like 270 hp. I dont get ny car back until sunday

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide App

2004 NSRT Flame Red, AGP wastegate, AGP Solid motor mounts, Eibach Street line springs, Energy suspension bushings, Maddog 58% STS, 3" downpipe w cutout, AEM SRI, Home Depot Catch Can, 750cc DW injectors
draxxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 56385

Interesting.

How does it work exactly? Does it need a log with specific parameters? Or are there chances I could feed it one of my old log?
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85528

You need rpm and speed
-Stage 3 kit
-Stage 3 coilovers
TylerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by TylerM View Post
You need rpm and speed

Nice, virtually all my logs have rpm and speed. I'll play with it tonight.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86652

Interesting info

05dishsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 45182

It needs to have time also and you need to be a little dilligent with this measurement.
The change in speed over time = acceleration
The change in acceleration over time = force-which in turn you can calc power and then torque

The issue with Diablo logs is that their time stamp is solely base on the sample rate and not really based on an actual clock. So if you log only a couple PIDs "Time" speeds up. If you log quite a few PIDs, "Time" slows down.

Virtual Dyno program should have the same issue if the Time isn't referenced properly.

the TT dyno program I used got around this hurtle by using the PID "Engine run Time" as its time reference. Here's more info from TT Dyno manual
Quote:
Engine Runtime: Always include engine runtime if that parameter is present on your data logger. While all data loggers display a time stamp, we've found that the time stamps are quite inaccurate because most data loggers do not contain an actual clock or timer! Their time stamps are based on taking the entire run length of the log and dividing by the number of samples in the log. Due to the fact that data capture rate can vary, the time stamps produced by data loggers can be off by as much as 10% which can skew your dyno numbers. By logging engine runtime which is measured by an actual digital timer, TT Dyno can determine precise timings for each entry in the log by examining each change of the timer and interpolating between each change in engine runtime.

PLEASE USE EMAIL!!dave at needlesstorque dot com

Last edited by duster360; 01-07-2013 at 10:12 AM.
duster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91827

Let me know if you guys need any help or need questions answered ... Im the developer of Virtual Dyno and may know how things work 'under the hood'.
Barn hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Barn hill View Post
Let me know if you guys need any help or need questions answered ... Im the developer of Virtual Dyno and may know how things work 'under the hood'.

Well, does Virtual dyno also have a workaround for the fluctuating time stamps as mentioned by duster?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91827

If someone posted a log using 'Engine run Time' then I could see how diablo sport puts that in the logs and use that as a first choice of columns to use for time for diablo logs. I can make a change like that in minutes and push it out. It will auto update next time you start the app after I make that change.
Barn hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement