Dodge SRT Forum banner

Upgrade input needed!

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  jlaymanmoto 
#1 ·
Hi guys!
Just rolled 60k on my neon
stock turbo, 3in downpipe, agp wategate, injen cold air intake, wot box,
Really looking to get into a turbo upgrade, it seems that running the dsp tuner on the stock turbo and stock manifold may have done some damage :clap: manifold has small cracks inside where it meets the bottom pipe, it is sealed up for now....

Thus i am looking for a turbo upgrade kit, I cant seem to find anything on big wheel stockers any more looks like alot of places went out of business. Not looking for 400+WHP with a big turbo kit, just something that has a little more oomf then what I have now.

Suggestions are much appreciated!

#2 ·
I know you said no big turbo. But the agp 50 trim is always a good choice. You could always take it to your local tuner and have him conservatives time it. Still have respectable power without 30 pounds of boost. A boost controller of any sort would be a good idea as well so if you ever do decide to up the boost it's easily done without the charge of more dyno time lol. Of course you'd have to buy a new manifold to run a new turbo. That's what I would look at doing. :grin:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I would really love to do this! but this is my daily and if I went down that route I would need to get all the supporting mods too. just the basic kit from the agp website for the 50 trim is 2,000+ without fuel upgrades, I like the quick spool times wont the 50trim lag too much?

#3 ·
I HIGHLY doubt the DSP did any damage to your manifold. Cracked manifolds are just common on stock turbo cars..... All the DSP is doing is upping the boost and fuel with the 93 tune.

If E85 is available around you at your local fuel stations, I recommend you getting larger injectors and an E85 tune. YOU WILL SHIT. :lol:

#7 ·
Don't let the mod bug bite to hard travissrt14150. Your neon has only 60k miles and that's pretty decent for a SRT4. Since you said this was your DD, and cost is important, choose carefully from the input you have received. All the best with your SRT4 and upgrade decision.

#8 ·
If 2k for a good turbo kit plus another 1-2k for supporting mods is too much, then just get a DSP and call it a day for now. You can always save for a real turbo in the future.

You can daily a big turbo, but it will cost you to put together a reliable setup. My current 47lb bws3 is pretty sweet for a daily and moves out when I want. You have to be patient to find a stage 3, but just the turbo and manifold are all you need.

#10 ·
I watch the classifieds on the forums and facial book srt-4 parts for sale. They come up every once in a while. Even if you find one that needs a rebuild, there are good shops that will do one for like 350 or so. There have been several full stage 3 kits lately, but they go for 4k+. If you want plug and play, that's the way to go, but you are limited in power by the super safe stage 3 tune. People have made anywhere from 350 - low 400 whp with them.

#19 ·
I drove my S3 for a little over a year (minus winter) daily to school and back, did great. Never a problem.

Then I bought a $600 Cavalier beater for the winter. Since then my SRT:

- Broken two wheel studs from stuck, hand tightened lug nuts on different hubs
- More scratches from sitting than driving (figure that out...)
- Busted two vac lines
- Needed new LCA bushings
- Blew a rear strut (have S3 coilovers in the garage, waiting on new mounts)

All this in 3 months, the previous 57 months it was PROBLEM FREE! Go figure...I pay it off and now the "payments" I was "saving" are going toward repairs. 63k miles too. This has happened twice to me. First car runs perfect even when modded. Buy a backup car, first car goes to sh*t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.