LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Stage 3 w/47lb wheel + TD06 mod.

So I took the plunge.. I found a deal on a turbo setup that I could not pass up.

Stage 3 turbo w/ 47lb wheel, mani, o2 housing and Stage 3 WGA.

I currently have it scheduled to be sent to Bob rather than myself so I can get the TD06 mod performed on it.

The question I have is.. "Should I?"

I only want 500 ponies max and will likely only run it around 450HP any given time.
My goal ultimately is walk the new 5.0 Mustains...
Before everyone starts laughing. I am not saying this turbo can deliver 500 ponies I am saying that the max I would want to push my car period.

The car currently has :
** Pending not yet installed **
2 tunes
Ǝ85
93 Octane
(I may buy another for 89 Octane for those days I can't find anything else)
Boomba Fuel rail
1300CC FID injectors

Currently installed
Stock fuel pump
Stock fuel rail
Stage 2 injectors
K&N CAI (I actually want to change this to a shorty to get it away from the ground)
No catch cans
AGP Hard pipes
Greddy Type S BOV

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
TCD

Last edited by turbochargeddad; 12-18-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:34 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
I've only heard horror stories about FID injectors... I wouldn't recommend those...

You'll need more fuel anyways, so you'll also need some sort of return line setup.

You'll also need a clutch to support the power. As well as brakes and suspension.
HybridKid likes this.

She's wide.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Garage
Funny you mention that.. I am having trouble with these injectors as it stands today. Now in fairness I found a boost leak and learned that my battery was basically bad. However...

When the FIDs are in there.. It worked fine at first but after the fuel trims and what not were set it started missing at idle like crazy. After some troubleshooting and before realizing that the battery was bad or that I had a boost leak when I went over ~23 PSI. I got sick of it and put some stock stage 0 injectors in there. I wasn't able to drive around but after 18 mins of idle time. Zero misses. It was after that, that I realized I had the boost leak and the battery might have issues.. Now you have me wondering if I should just abandon the FIDs and tune and find a different solution.

But will I benefit from the TD06 upgrade or will that just introduce some turbo lag? In other words will the S3 w/47LB wheel produce 450 steeda all by itself?

Thanks,
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSRT View Post
I've only heard horror stories about FID injectors... I wouldn't recommend those...

You'll need more fuel anyways, so you'll also need some sort of return line setup.

You'll also need a clutch to support the power. As well as brakes and suspension.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Look over my build similar to what your building
You need a fuel pump, rewire and rising rate fuel regulator

Easy 500 on e85

Also suggest moog problem solver lca to prevent wheel hop, and a act clutch
HybridKid likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 02:23 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
500 whp will eventually turn the stock bottom end into a coffee table...

go ahead...change yours too now; again
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
You don't need 500 hp to beat the 5.0 mustang. You do however need a lot of skill to do so with a FWD car. You can beat one with 400 or less honestly. Power to weight ratio is in your favor big time.
HybridKid likes this.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Garage
Yeah, I get walked currently at stage 2. They don't run away from me but they def beat me.
I want to land somewhere between 425 and 450. I understand that I will still have to change the clutch and fuel system. I don't want to get too crazy outside of that tho. I have some Mopar stage 1 springs I intend to put on, I have solid motor mounts and the solid trans mount ready to be put on. I am honestly wondering where I am going to get time to do all this. This turbo may just sit in my garage for a couple years and then get sold again.. Man I hope not.

Thanks,
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTShadow View Post
You don't need 500 hp to beat the 5.0 mustang. You do however need a lot of skill to do so with a FWD car. You can beat one with 400 or less honestly. Power to weight ratio is in your favor big time.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Garage
You dug into your motor. I don't have the time to do all that with 4 kids and all the other things that come with being fat, old and responsible.. :/ I would stay @400 ponies to avoid having to dig into the engine. If it blows up before I am ready to quit, I might rebuild it but it would take me a year or more with the way my schedule is.
I am hoping to get away with an FPR, WalBruH 255 and some of the other mods folks on here have been talking about.

Thanks,
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit View Post
Look over my build similar to what your building
You need a fuel pump, rewire and rising rate fuel regulator

Easy 500 on e85

Also suggest moog problem solver lca to prevent wheel hop, and a act clutch
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 AM
SRTforums Member

if you only need 400whp; skip the big wheel. It's unnecessary lag for more turbo than you will utilize; off the shelf S3 will accomplish that goal

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Garage
Turbo already comes with a big wheel (47lb). It does not not have the TD06 mod on the exhaust side yet. If I could make 425 on pump with just the big wheel I would be happy with that.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlemphizStylez View Post
if you only need 400whp; skip the big wheel. It's unnecessary lag for more turbo than you will utilize; off the shelf S3 will accomplish that goal
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 AM
SRTforums Member

eh 425 on pump isn't too likely (on a dyno that doesn't sell dreams) on a stock head....you will need E85/methanol/race gas for that. The head on these cars suck....so you can lose about 100 ft/lbs by 6000 rpm (from peak) and that is what kills peak power forcing the car to need to produce even MORE torque (IE turning up the boost) to make the power; eventually you run out of octane. Pretty pump numbers you won't see too often on the stock head (unless the turbo is huge...and then the powerband is narrow)

My car on a built head made 445whp but only produced about 400 wtq....stock head and the numbers were more like 407/400. It wouldn't come anywhere near 445whp without more boost (because by redline it was only making 350ish ft lbs whereas the built head held torque out to redline)...hence necessity for more octane

Last edited by lVlemphizStylez; 12-19-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Garage
You're about to make an old man cry...

I thought for sure I could make 425ish w/ stage 3 + 47lb wheel and pump gas. Don't get me wrong, I have a nice E station right down the road and I have a pending E tune as well. But I can't run E all the time, not enough supply. Talk about buyers remorse already..

I just wanna mash the fas and watch the Camaro and Mustang guys go .

Back to the drawing board..

Thanks,
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlemphizStylez View Post
eh 425 on pump isn't too likely (on a dyno that doesn't sell dreams) on a stock head....you will need E85/methanol/race gas for that. The head on these cars suck....so you can lose about 100 ft/lbs by 6000 rpm (from peak) and that is what kills peak power forcing the car to need to produce even MORE torque (IE turning up the boost) to make the power; eventually you run out of octane. Pretty pump numbers you won't see too often on the stock head (unless the turbo is huge...and then the powerband is narrow)

My car on a built head made 445whp but only produced about 400 wtq....stock head and the numbers were more like 407/400. It wouldn't come anywhere near 445whp without more boost (because by redline it was only making 350ish ft lbs whereas the built head held torque out to redline)...hence necessity for more octane
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
ditto lVlemphizStylez

you'll easily hang with mustangs.. provided its not from a dig.. 400+hp srt4's on the street have no traction in 2nd and the beginning of 3rd -- so i've been running nitto555 on the street

stock pump doesn't supply enough fuel, you could try a voltage booster .. its worth $100 for a wally 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochargeddad View Post
You're about to make an old man cry...

I thought for sure I could make 425ish w/ stage 3 + 47lb wheel and pump gas. Don't get me wrong, I have a nice E station right down the road and I have a pending E tune as well. But I can't run E all the time, not enough supply. Talk about buyers remorse already..

I just wanna mash the fas and watch the Camaro and Mustang guys go .

Back to the drawing board..

Thanks,
TCD

405hp, 450tq
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451...w-123k-612933/
PCM=S0, DSP rescaled, 3bar map/tip
injectors= Siemens 80# (ebay $200)
built motor, 8.8:1 weisco, eagle-h, strap & windage
S3R DCR manifold ($500) w/evo8 turbo (ebay $150) - 20G/47# ebay ($200)
Evo 8 WGA
24x12x4 w/cast ends - CXRacing (ebay $200)
DataLogger DataQA, $25
Wideband UEGO (ebay $150)
vette rims 275/40/17
needswing v5
SouthBend S3
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:22 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I have now walked a 2015 and 2016 mustang 5.0 from 40 rolls on stock turbo. My power mods are E85, duster injectors with custom tune, bolt-ons, ACT clutch, and good DOT tires. The custom tune I have extends my powerband up top by an extra few hundred rpm which actually makes a good difference. It does not take a bigger turbo to walk a stock 5.0. Starting in 3rd gear at 40mph because of crazy torque spike by 2500 rpm and only shifting once at ~90 gives me a big advantage. As mentioned previously in this thread, power to weight is our friend.

From a dig would be a different story on street tires.

BLACK 2005
DUSTER'S INJECTORS/CUSTOM TUNE
STOCK TURBO ON E85 WITH SUPPORTING MODS
ENKEI RSF5 17x7.5 WRAPPED IN MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
why remove the CAI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement