PA exhaust laws? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 45372
Premium Member
Default PA exhaust laws?

Here is basically what I would like to know - Is it legal to have a side exit exhaust in the state of pennsylvania that comes out right before the back tire? I have tried doing a search for PA exhaust laws/emissions laws but could not come up with anything. I'm asking this because I have had my eye on the maxxfab SEE for a while now and I just want to know how much trouble I will have with inspections, police, and noise if I decide to purchase this.
jtm0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 26183

It depended on what side of the state and county your in. The Ref has the final say and there is always someone who will pass it. I know of a few SRTs here on this side and they all have passed as long as they have cats. Our counties statutes are pretty strict too(Sniffer test and OBDII testing), but the surrounding have it very lax(visual only no testing anything OBDII or not)

Quote: Originally Posted by RedLineGSR94
you managed to get 8 DSMs together in one place??? did you own a junkyard???

Last edited by BlackOhFour; 03-07-2007 at 04:10 AM.
BlackOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 43695

Where I live in PA it must exit outside the body of the vehicle and have a cat. The cops can give you a ticket for being to loud even if the exhaust would pass the PA emissions testing. The cops where i live don?t really care, or have not so far. i drive by them with my downpipe open and no ticket yet.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Premium Member

So all in all would you say that i'll be ok if I ordered the maxxfab side exit with a high flow cat and resonator, and still be able to get it inspected?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8512

whereabouts in PA do you live?
Mopar STS, Mopar BOV, JMB catchcan, Pwerks grounding kit
04PAcruz'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Premium Member

Grove City, about 50 miles north of pittsburgh.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8512

since you are going to run a cat you won't fail any type of visual inspection or throw a check engine light. that covers you for visual and ODB scan. the only way you could fail is if your area does the old style sniffer test. Find that out or just don't throw away your old exhaust system incase you fail.
Mopar STS, Mopar BOV, JMB catchcan, Pwerks grounding kit
04PAcruz'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 47971

You should be good as long as there is a cat...Not sure how they can fail you for side exit, when some vehicles come from the factory with side exit exhaust...Mainly truck....But my dad's Roush Stang has side exits, and there are no issues...We live near Pittsburgh too....I have a SEE, and have a inspection this month...Will need a cat, unless the inspector is cool...I live down in Fayette county now and have no emissions...I need a "lick and stick" inpection....
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 49227

i know you. pm me if u ever wanna meet up down in hermitage. were usualy out on the weekend man.

hows the car runin?
srtquatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 27440

I remember a place that wouldnt inspect my car when it was 100% stock...and i just have visual here....why did they fail it you ask...no muffler...and i tried telling them that a muffler does not come on the factory exhaust...just a resonator...wont be back there again..haha

564hp & 504ft/lb trq
11.23 @ 127.89

"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Groups"
BoostingSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 47971

Quote: Originally Posted by BoostingSnail
I remember a place that wouldnt inspect my car when it was 100% stock...and i just have visual here....why did they fail it you ask...no muffler...and i tried telling them that a muffler does not come on the factory exhaust...just a resonator...wont be back there again..haha

Amazing that a 100% stock car wouldn't be inspected....that shows you how much some shops know about cars...Oh well...I just called a friend who's buddy does inspections...He said if I take it there, I am pretty much paying for the sticker...SO I think I will have my buddy take it in since he knows the guys....SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37321

i have my pa emissions and inspection in PA. i liv ein norristown,pa. you can have the exhaust exit out the sides or anywhere else. as long as it is after the last passenger door.basically they dont want it to end under the car or at the doors. and for decible reading legally in pA their is no limit to the decibal level. only on vehicles over 6000 lbs. but cops will give u bull shit about disturbing the peace.turst me i have side exhaust i custom made had to deal witht he police and won on my tickets twice. look on penndots website they have all the info they have a copy of pa inspection laws.
stinky2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 40233

Hey stinky2004 is your car silver!? becuase I take the train from norristown when i go to school and people always confuse me with another kid with a silver srt.

to stay on topic, if you have a cat and dont throw any codes, then you should be fine with emissions
Albertjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 49227

Hey JT. Take the car to E and E exhaust systems in Mercer, pa. They do inspections there, and let every1 slide on exhaust shit. Hell ask tom about it,(u know how rediculously loud his car is) they did his exhaust. I plan on havin mine inspected there, cause i now hav a few things that will not pass(no cat, no crash bar)

let me know
srtquatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22122

I lived about 10 miles north of downtown Pittsburgh and i had no problems whatsoever with police from my 3" CTI turboback. I went through many municipalities and none pulled me over. I actually have been up to grove city a couple times for the outlet malls and passed several cops. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just throw it in neutral when you pass them if you're paranoid.
Advertisement