NEW Stage 3 Owners Feedback Thread - Page 357 - Dodge SRT Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #5341 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
don't worry RT. I have had my big wheel S3 from Bob sitting in my garage for 3 years now. However I do have a stock S3 on the car. I am putting the damn BWS3 on this winter I swear.

I can say my Stock s3 is still going strong. I bought it used with 30k on it and I have put another 60k on it. Same here the only issue I have had was fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:22 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Starkie View Post
Well, it's been exactly 12 years and 100,000 miles since my car was upgraded to Stage 3 + Toys.
She continues to be a hell of a lot of fun and has been extremely reliable, with no problems at all other than a fuel pump replace and a few clutches

Still shredding tyres in DAB3 with about 21PSI on 91 octane Union 76 Premium.

Thanks to all the PVO - SRT folks for making the Stage 3 kit.
Totally worth every cent of what I paid for it.
And the S3 coilovers (over 100K and no issues at all).
And the whole car (normal maintenance, oil Mobil 1 0W-40, Filter K&N HP2009, trans fluid every 6-8K with ATF+4, MPSC brakes (over 100K and still lots of meat).

Just finished a 1200-odd mile trip from SF Bay Area to LA and back up the coast highway and she ran perfectly averaging between 28MPG and 34 MPG on the freeway.

Planning another trip, this time to Yellowstone next summer, about 950 miles each way.
Followed your S3 advice from this thread, except went no toys and still use the AGP WG.
Car is still going strong. Had Josh Fullybilt? do the install after porting the S3 new with the exhaust and intake manifolds and throttle body after new years of 2007. That with the Maxxfab O2, high flow cat DP and Injen exhaust gets way better mileage and sounds awesome!

Still running the clutch Tex had made when he worked at Speed Merchant, but have a 6 puck street waiting for the day it gives up.

Had to do the water pump at 50k and a 255 fuel pump at 60k. Have S3 and KW V3 coilovers. Like the S3s better on road, but the V3s are the bomb on track. Done every road course in CA except Sonoma many times(Was an instructor for a few HPDE organizations). Running back on the stock struts and wheels now with snow tires because I moved to Oklahoma... I think people get mad because it drives in the ice and snow like it's not there with 225 Blizzaks. Lol

Thanks for your input and part reviews Simon. Been a long time since the NorCal Pleasington meets, but hope we cross paths again some day.
HybridKid likes this.

post #5343 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
Followed your S3 advice from this thread, except went no toys and still use the AGP WG.
Car is still going strong. Had Josh Fullybilt? do the install after porting the S3 new with the exhaust and intake manifolds and throttle body after new years of 2007. That with the Maxxfab O2, high flow cat DP and Injen exhaust gets way better mileage and sounds awesome!

Still running the clutch Tex had made when he worked at Speed Merchant, but have a 6 puck street waiting for the day it gives up.

Had to do the water pump at 50k and a 255 fuel pump at 60k. Have S3 and KW V3 coilovers. Like the S3s better on road, but the V3s are the bomb on track. Done every road course in CA except Sonoma many times(Was an instructor for a few HPDE organizations). Running back on the stock struts and wheels now with snow tires because I moved to Oklahoma... I think people get mad because it drives in the ice and snow like it's not there with 225 Blizzaks. Lol

Thanks for your input and part reviews Simon. Been a long time since the NorCal Pleasington meets, but hope we cross paths again some day.
Wow, that was a long time ago. So glad to read your positive Stage 3 report. I had no idea my delight with Stage 3 affected other people so positively. Especially after being told to shut up about it on more than one occasion! But it is awesome, I'm not sure why, but it still just makes me smile every time I drive mine, even after 100,000 miles. Long trips are planned, 34MPG, no tinkering required, it just runs and runs and runs and it's always "right there" when I put put my foot down a just a bit. Yellowstone is only 950 miles from here (Rio Vista, home town of Craig Breedlove, The Fastest Man in the World, who drove his Spirit of America jet powered trike to over 500 MPH in the mid Sixties. Now THAT was FAST).

Your car sounds awesome and should last a good long time with regular maintenance. The only track I've ever driven was Laguna Seca for an SRT Track Day reward for buying an SRT4 Caliber, but I didn't care for the SRT Charger, Challenger, 300C and JGC they had because they were so big and heavy and and un-fun and they wouldn't let me take my SRT-4 out. Didn't know Tim had made a 6-puck street clutch, but he was a creative fellow so I'm not surprised. I used to have a Customer in Tulsa back in the late 80's and I liked going there every week just to hear those lovely ladies talk Yes, I like the Mopar S3 Coil Overs on the street, not too harsh but tough enough since installing Prothane bushings on the front and rear LCA's. California Delta levee roads are quite brutal for most cars except maybe a '53 Cadillac Coupe de Ville I once owned (speed bumps at the supermarket at 50MPH were unnoticeable).

I guess it's too late for a NorCal reunion?

Cheers and good fortune to you.

It's a pump gas street car.

Last edited by Simon.Starkie; 12-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.

post #5344 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I went the E1 route but I've always admired the Stage 3 kit.

Stage 3 = turn key ready with reliable horse power.

1986 GLHS #329
2004 SRT4 Powered by DCR & Forward Motion
FM Stock Appearing Stage 5 Buildup (E1 Turbo, Factory cams/gears) Turn Key Ready
post #5345 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What does a working S3 (turbo, wga, o2) go for these days?

'03 PTGT base auto. (sitting on blocks)
185k w/95k of those miles on MOPAR S3 turbo before tranny gave out.

First Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT back in '07
post #5346 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
saw one for 3k just about (2800). Used and beat to shit too...for that I'd grab a tubular manifold and have a show quality kit before buying old junk. If you can find a reasonable owner you can get them for like 2k-1800 used. But same story; used parts for that much isn't my cup of tea

go ahead...change yours too now; again
post #5347 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm on the same page with used parts. However given the rarity of the stage 3 turbo you're not left with much options if you're dead set on the Mopar route. I picked up a reasonably priced used (chipped fins, shaft play) stage 3 and rebuilt it for not much money at all. Now I have a rebuilt spare which is in far better shape then 99% of the overpriced, molested, and beat up used stage 3 turbos floating around the classifieds.
lVlemphizStylez likes this.

post #5348 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:28 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I picked up a spare CHRA and S3 housing years ago when dealers still had them for reasonable prices... So I have a brand new S3 turbo sitting in a box somewhere. I've loved every minute of my plug and play S3 kit... It's only when I start modding for more that I get frustrated. This summer I reverted my car back to the base s3 kit from e85 and I enjoyed it more then I have in a long time.

Guess you can still piece together a s3 turbo for about 1K
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NR4DBA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NR4E8W
Simon.Starkie likes this.

Mopar Stage 3, 182k Stock Block
Butter shifting trans using ATF fluid
2015 Dart GT 2.4L Multi-Air (37k: Blown Engine)
Minnesota Owners, visit the local Facebook page
post #5349 of 5356 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 AM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBzPTGT View Post
What does a working S3 (turbo, wga, o2) go for these days?
I pieced one together almost a year ago for less than 2k. Turbo + Manifold, injectors, fuel rail, down pipe and PCM. Sold it at a loss a few months later... I saw one on ebay recently for 1800? I believe it is only the manifold and turbo.
post #5350 of 5356 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
The only problem I encountered with the Stage 3 kit other then the fuel delivery was with the WGA and DAB. Took me years and multiple WGAs to figure it out but for some reason the Mopar Stage 3 WGA is designed with very little travel. It doesn't cause any issues until to try to use DAB0 or 1, where boost would start low, but inevitably shoot up to 20+ as you climb up in revs, even with the WGA hooked directly to the turbo. Years ago it had me believe that my boostbox (now wotbox) just wasn't working as planned.

I finally found the solution by buying the AGP WGA with the 8 psi spring. From the get go it has much more travel and sure enough, I had a rock solid 10psi all the way to redline in DAB0. I really enjoyed it when I brought the car to my 1st lapping day as 10 psi was really all I needed there.

Otherwise my car is far from stock Mopar now but I still remember the good old days when all I was running was an ED WUSS and the Stage 3 kit.

-Red 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
Looks stock
post #5351 of 5356 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Forum Moderator

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Damn Cedric that was back in 2008 when I sold you that intercooler. Good to see a lot of forum OG's still active after all these years!

post #5352 of 5356 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njshift View Post
Damn Cedric that was back in 2008 when I sold you that intercooler. Good to see a lot of forum OG's still active after all these years!
Hahaha and I'm still rocking it to this day! Car runs in the 11s and still looks stock.

Too bad I'm not giving it as much love as I used to. I now have a handful of Subarus including a rallycross car along with a 240sx project. But the SRT is still the original that gave me the car itch.

-Red 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
Looks stock
post #5353 of 5356 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Hahaha and I'm still rocking it to this day! Car runs in the 11s and still looks stock.

Too bad I'm not giving it as much love as I used to. I now have a handful of Subarus including a rallycross car along with a 240sx project. But the SRT is still the original that gave me the car itch.
Same here. Stage 3 = reliable. Going to Yellowstone in August for West Yellowstone Rod Run - West Yellowstone Rod Run welcome to our annual event!

It's a pump gas street car.
post #5354 of 5356 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktboost View Post
I picked up a spare CHRA and S3 housing years ago when dealers still had them for reasonable prices... So I have a brand new S3 turbo sitting in a box somewhere. I've loved every minute of my plug and play S3 kit... It's only when I start modding for more that I get frustrated. This summer I reverted my car back to the base s3 kit from e85 and I enjoyed it more then I have in a long time.

Guess you can still piece together a s3 turbo for about 1K
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NR4DBA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NR4E8W
Damn. As soon as the weather warms up, I need to get this off of my car and put'r up for sale
Been sitting since 2011
It'll be a very sad day for me

'03 PTGT base auto. (sitting on blocks)
185k w/95k of those miles on MOPAR S3 turbo before tranny gave out.

First Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT back in '07
post #5355 of 5356 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The stage 3 was the best upgrade I did to my car. I came from a Stage 2 and was worried I would not see much difference but man its like night an day. And if you drive it gently you never know is there.
Simon.Starkie likes this.

Stage 3 w/Toys, K&N SRI, Greddy Type-RZ BOV, Maxxfab O2 housing, Vibrant 3" Turboback, DC Sports Strut Bar, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Mopar STS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode