Intercooler doubts - Page 5 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3797

Quote: Originally Posted by jay05acr View Post
Yea but wasn't he heat soaking like crazy at the track?

Yes, that is the weakness of the stocker. The DFFMIC is better, but for stock turbo guys you can live with a little heat soak. Most people aren't going to do back to back pulls and what's the difference between 240 and 250whp, they are still both slow. If you want just a little bit more, but not the most you can get, go with the DFFMIC. If you stay stock turbo and never go bigger, this will be ok. When you get tired of being slow and go big turbo, then you will wish you had a BFMIC in the first place.

I just think, if you are going to spend all the money and time, do the BFMIC and get it over with. I had the old style AGP race on my stock turbo car. There were no performance problems or lag. Here in the heat of the summer where it never gets under a 100 degrees for three months, it helped a lot with performance. It made it all the way until I was pretty maxxed out on the stock turbo. I found an ED super beast and sold the AGP. If I was getting one today it would be one of the cast end tank BFMICs no question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #62 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 66615
Lifetime Premium Member

I got my time in my sig with this CX Racing intercooler. Track times don't lie. All the quickest stock turbos had BFMIC.

Dodge Neon SRT4 SRT 4 Intercooler 03 06 36 5x11 25x4 | eBay

I think it makes a positive difference when you are running 20+ psi on the stock turbo.
Best Trap: 119 MPH
349HP/446TRQ
Kickin Wing Racing
Zeta 3.0 powered in 2014

Last edited by DetroitSRT; 12-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.
DetroitSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #63 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88443

Quote: Originally Posted by DetroitSRT View Post
I got my time in my sig with this CX Racing intercooler. Track times don't lie. All the quickest stock turbos had BFMIC.

Dodge Neon SRT4 SRT 4 Intercooler 03 06 36 5x11 25x4 | eBay

I think it makes a positive difference when you are running 20+ psi on the stock turbo.

I was actually looking to get that same intercooler if I wasn't happy with the CX racing direct fit, can you post a datalog or show temps of results on the CX racing BFMIC.? Also how much boost are you running?

Last edited by 40 roll; 12-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.
40 roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #64 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76443

Can someone running a 4" thick dfmic post a log or give some numbers on the charge temps on a pull?
I ran the spearco dfmic(3" thick) for some time and yes it definitely lowered the acts a lot more than stock, basically cut the temps if half of how much they would heat up on the stock intercooler, but doesn't keep temps near as close to ambient as my current mpx bfmic.
After install i was able to add 1-2* of timing on 93oct throughout the powerband due to having cooler charge temps

Last edited by toofast82; 12-14-2012 at 12:41 AM.
toofast82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #65 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 66615
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by 40 roll View Post
I was actually looking to get that same intercooler if I wash happy with the CX racing direct fit, can you post a datalog or show temps of results on the CX racing BFMIC.? Also how much boost are you running?

I'm real happy with the intercooler. It's cheap. Seems to perform real well for the price. Only downside is you have to bend a few things for it to fit properly. On the plus side you don't have to modify your bumper.

Not sure if I have a recent log with temps recorded. The car is in storage for the winter. I'll probably have to get back to you in the spring. 25psi
Best Trap: 119 MPH
349HP/446TRQ
Kickin Wing Racing
Zeta 3.0 powered in 2014

Last edited by DetroitSRT; 12-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
DetroitSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #66 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84599

I installed the CXR Direct Fit yesterday. It's not a direct fit actually, so you will have to get creative with it. Power tools may be required if you're unlucky. Haven't had the chance to get on it yet, but if I'm disappointed, I'll let y'all know.
Looks like stock, goes like stink
Hopefully getting 1/4 times before finishing grad school, but after getting slicks...
intshadeofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

How is the direct fit.......not a direct fit? I know some people have had to bend the radiator core support in but that is nothing.

Shouldnt need power tools either.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #68 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 59274

I run the cx racing direct fit too. For the install, I removed the two side radiator support brackets. I flattened the hood latch support center bracket somewhat; the half below the crash bar, being careful not to damage fins on the radiator. This is easier if you make a few strategic snips in the thin metal of the bracket and bend outward. Next I used three or four washers on each bolt. The success here is that the rear of my IC doesn't touch or rub anything, and my hot side was no harder to install than on a factory IC. I had read where some people say it was direct fit but that's just not possible without most of what I did. After this little prep it fit, well, direct.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I didn't need power tools because I wasn't unlucky. It went in all right. Got on it this morning and it ran great. Lost about a degree of knock throughout most of the powerband. That's all I really wanted out of a $180 intercooler.
Hopefully getting 1/4 times before finishing grad school, but after getting slicks...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #70 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 50159

Quote: Originally Posted by intshadeofblue View Post
I didn't need power tools because I wasn't unlucky. It went in all right. Got on it this morning and it ran great. Lost about a degree of knock throughout most of the powerband. That's all I really wanted out of a $180 intercooler.

How is the temp rise?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #71 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by D-ROK View Post
How is the temp rise?

Temp rise is a little slower than with the stocker. The difference is not awesome, and certainly nowhere near BFMIC territory, but at least it makes a difference and now I won't get heat soak after two pulls in 4th. To be frank though, if I ever do go big turbo, I'll probably rip off the front bumper again and go BFMIC. This is definitely an intercooler for stock turbo people, however, and I feel as though I got all I wanted or expected for less than two bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement