Intercooler doubts - Page 4 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76443

Having had the stock fmic, spearco dfmic and an mpx fmic on stock turbo, i'd just get a bigger fmic honestly if your going to run pump 91-93oct. If you plan on running e85 or water/meth all the time, then the stock fmic will be plenty fine as the e85 will keep combustion temps cooler than pump gas and the water/meth will cool the air right before it reaches the throttle body
During 3rd and 4th gear pulls the air charge temps would go WAY above ambient on stock fmic.
On spearco dfmic, they would still heat up about 35-45* above ambient, much better than the stock fmic though
And on the mpx, temps stay pretty close to ambient, maybe 10* more on very hot days.
toofast82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31038

Quote: Originally Posted by Turbolag87 View Post
It was next day at the track lol. Can't get better that

Fixed boost leaks with new intercooler install. :P
s3*ps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 36794

Quote: Originally Posted by SoloSrt View Post
Hhhmm, maybe I should get a BFMIC before a 3" TBE?

Seriously through, I see that it isn't a "useless" mod on a stock turbo car. To each their own. I personally would do many other things first.

Fucking THIS!!!!!!!

Nunca Levanta
A Lotta turbo! Small motor! And a Go Pedal!!

Lets re-grow the community! Subscribe to: www.elralforacingmedia.com
Rhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Lav
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 79804

Hhhmm, maybe I should get a BFMIC before a 3" TBE?

Seriously through, I see that it isn't a "useless" mod on a stock turbo car. To each their own. I personally would do many other things first.

Well I am still on stock turbo and other than going E85 or meth i think ive done just about all I can do on stock without going big turbo which I dont have the budget for right now .

Tuned DSP
Bigger injectors
straight pipe exhaust
blablablabla those are the main performance mods , im working on getting a return line set up and look into E85 since it seems like a better option over meth .

As far as the IC goes seems everyone has had different results with BFMIC on stock turbos >__<
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 215
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by jay05acr View Post
^in all honesty I think direct fit's are worthless.... Crash bar in this piece of shit isn't going to save anyone

Sorry, Jay, but you are wrong. The crash bar has a very important roll in the overall performance of the front crumple zone, and replacing it some welded up bar stock is nothing but using a piece of toilet paper on a machete cut.

That thing is a seriously engineered piece of HSS whole purpose is twofold. One is to crush and absorb crash forces directly, lengthening the time the impact takes, but more importantly, it redirects that crash energy into the front subframes, who's job it is to stretch out that impact time and change sharp impacts over a short time into less peaky forces over more milliseconds, reducing injury overall and helping the airbags keep your ass alive.

Why a crash beam is a good thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 6491

Quote: Originally Posted by s3*ps2 View Post
Fixed boost leaks with new intercooler install. :P

Lol

Ext WGA
Meth Injection
11.4@125mph (old times, stock head and cams) 26psi
Turbolag87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #52 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84599

Testing intercoolers objectively requires a four-groups design: before and after with the old intercooler, and before and after with the new intercooler. Without looking at all four data values, you either miss out on establishing a baseline for comparison, or you miss any performance changes. Either way, you'll have no way of telling how the new intercooler affects the way your setup runs. For $180 shipped, the CXRacing Direct Fit is probably the best value for the dollar - performance gains may be minimal (although in most pump gas applications, heat soak will be reduced enough to justify the expense), but at least you won't be out $600, nor will you experience a 5psi pressure drop, as you would in the event you had invested in a BFMIC that doesn't measure up. For big turbo pump gas applications, the CXRacing DF will probably not be satisfactory. I'm buying this intercooler for my bolt-on stock turbo and putting it in next month.
Looks like stock, goes like stink
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT LOW TEMPS AIN'T ONE
Hopefully getting 1/4 times before finishing grad school, but after getting slicks...
intshadeofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 8826
Lifetime Premium Member

Yeah, pretty much this.

You may not think you are losing pressure, but but you place a restriction like an EBay BFMIC in the way, it is a restriction. Period. Why? Because it does not flow the same amount of air as the stocker.

It's been years since I've seen it, but someone did an amazingly good flow vs efficiency test on all sorts of intercoolers. eBay crap ones, Spearco, stock, the gamut.

You boys need to find it. It's somewhere. I've read it and heed it because it is real bench flow numbers, and those don't lie.

Intercooler Shootout Results.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3797

If you want an intercooler, get one. Not a crappy one, a good one and do it one time. It's been shown that you can do without or with just fine with the stock turbo. If you even think you will come close to maxing out the stock turbo or switching to a big turbo, get the BFMIC (a good one). If you are a chicken liver or feel the need to track your car, get one of the crash bar replacement thingys. Do not waste your money on a direct fit. Go big or forget it.
enginjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88443

Ill post a couple of datalogs on the CX racing direct fit on stock turbo.

40 roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #56 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84599

By the way, don't misconstrue my input as hating on BFMICs - they're a great investment for big turbo pump gas cars or cars running very high boost in general. All I'm saying is that they're generally overkill for a stock turbo car that isn't maxed out, and not worth removing the crash bar for when perfectly adequate direct fit intercoolers are out there.
Looks like stock, goes like stink
I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT LOW TEMPS AIN'T ONE
Hopefully getting 1/4 times before finishing grad school, but after getting slicks...
intshadeofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 4534

Quote: Originally Posted by BLUBYYOU View Post

If I remember correctly, one problem with the shootout was that there were no cast end tank big intercoolers available to test. I have an ED Beast (which took a long time to finally find one for sale back when I bought it), and I have little doubt that its flow compares favorably with stock.

2009 Midwest SRT Nationals Attendee
csx321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3797

There was another thread where _Nick_ did a comparison on his stage 3 car with a stock and the AGP DFFMIC. While the AGP was better, the stock IC was ok. He wanted to keep the crash bar and some money, so he sold the DFFMIC.

Last edited by enginjoe; 12-12-2012 at 03:50 PM.
enginjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37744

Quote: Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
There was another thread where _Nick_ did a comparison on his stage 3 car with a stock and the AGP DFFMIC. While the AGP was better, the stock IC was ok. He wanted to keep the crash bar and some money, so he sold the DFFMIC.

Yea but wasn't he heat soaking like crazy at the track?

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f416...-parts-639326/ my for sale thread
jay05acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #60 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88443

Quote: Originally Posted by jay05acr View Post
Yea but wasn't he heat soaking like crazy at the track?

When he did that datalog he was also pushing the turbo pretty hard and he even said in his thread that the test he performed was probly harder then what most people would push the DFMIC.

40 roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement