Intercooler doubts - Page 2 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88443

Iv had good results with my CX racing direct fit, my normal cruising temps are about 5-7 degrees above ambient and wot are about 12-15, temps drop VERY fast back down to normal temps within 30 seconds I'd say which means there's no sign of heat soak unlike the stocker which would take minutes to cool back down. I could also take a datalog for you.

40 roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85871

I'm also running the cxracing intercooler stock turbo no problems. Can't wait to put my big boy pants on and need a tunergeeks intercooler.

12.79 @108.23
KillaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11361

its been years, and i'm a big fan of my cx intercooler (big one with cast end tanks)

agreed, bend the center support -- and maybe a little sheetmetal trimming / washer for spacers

Quote: Originally Posted by tunerlover3 View Post
You just gotta bend in the center supports.

built motor, 8.8:1 weisco, eagle-h, strap & windage
S3R DCR manifold ($500) w/evo8 turbo (ebay $150) - 20G/47# ebay ($200)
Evo 8 WGA
24x12x4 w/cast ends - CXRacing (ebay $200)
DataLogger DataQA, $25
Wideband UEGO (ebay $150)
vette rims 275/40/17
needswing v5
SouthBend S3
fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 36794

Ok a couple to things I would like to coment on regarding this thread and shitty Ebay inter-coolers.

- Just because you still "hold" boost using a shitty inter-cooler does not mean it's as good or better than the stocker. In most cases, when using a shitty ebay brand, you hafta turn up the boost a bit to equal the same pressure you had with the stocker.

- The way we make more power in an engine is by improving the amount of "flow" to and through the engine right? We change out the exhaust, the head, the intake manifold in order to gain engine effiency (spelling?) which results in more HP. Why would you put anything in the mix that would be detrimental to flow?

- So in closing, you want as little compromise in flow (but still provides a reduction in temp), as possible. The stocker is not that bad and unless you flog you car without mercy or going big turbo, I don't really see a reason to change to a different IC.

disclaimer: This is my opinion, not a fact.

Nunca Levanta
A Lotta turbo! Small motor! And a Go Pedal!!

Lets re-grow the community! Subscribe to: www.elralforacingmedia.com

Last edited by Rhunter; 12-07-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Rhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88421

I would stay stock unless there is a problem with yours. My stock one got shoved into the a/c compressor when previous owner hit something and broke a chunk out of the hot side pipe. I shoved the hose on farther and tightened the clamp to seal it up but after a while the hose would migrate back and make a big boost leak, so I ended up buying a cheapy intercooler off ebay to fix the leak.

Anyway I didn't notice any changes in performance between when my cars stock one was actually sealing and when I put my ebay one on so I was satisfied. If it ever fails I'm getting a good one though, probably a nice fat DFIC.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87344

I just installed the mpx bfmic and didnt notice any losses..nor changes on my gauges..

Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 46682

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhunter View Post
Ok a couple to things I would like to coment on regarding this thread and shitty Ebay inter-coolers.

- Just because you still "hold" boost using a shitty inter-cooler does not mean it's as good or better than the stocker. In most cases, when using a shitty ebay brand, you hafta turn up the boost a bit to equal the same pressure you had with the stocker.

- The way we make more power in an engine is by improving the amount of "flow" to and through the engine right? We change out the exhaust, the head, the intake manifold in order to gain engine effiency (spelling?) which results in more HP. Why would you put anything in the mix that would be detrimental to flow?

- So in closing, you want as little compromise in flow (but still provides a reduction in temp), as possible. The stocker is not that bad and unless you flog you car without mercy or going big turbo, I don't really see a reason to change to a different IC.

disclaimer: This is my opinion, not a fact.

Yeah, pretty much this.

You may not think you are losing pressure, but but you place a restriction like an EBay BFMIC in the way, it is a restriction. Period. Why? Because it does not flow the same amount of air as the stocker.

It's been years since I've seen it, but someone did an amazingly good flow vs efficiency test on all sorts of intercoolers. eBay crap ones, Spearco, stock, the gamut.

You boys need to find it. It's somewhere. I've read it and heed it because it is real bench flow numbers, and those don't lie.

17X7.5 Kosei K-1s / 12.2" Wilwood BBK (Dynalites) / Stage 2 IPP Coilovers / Prothane Polly / AEM SRI / Werks Hard Pipe Kit / DSP / AEM Wide Band / Clutchmaster Stg III / AL Flywheel

ET:13.711 @ 101.3 - 2.196 60 Ft
SoloSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91495

Quote: Originally Posted by Mrturbo24 View Post
I just installed the mpx bfmic and didnt notice any losses..nor changes on my gauges..

^^^ Yeah same here, stock turbo with a bfmic....this was my first mod
DriftersgonewilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 25206
Lifetime Premium Member

The stock turbo does benefit from a larger FMIC. Put the stock turbo on a loaded dyno and make a 4th gear pull during a 90+ degree day. IT GETS HOT! I've seen air temps vary as much as 50-60 degrees at 6k in 4th on a stock turbo. Similar mods with the major difference being one had a BFMIC while the other was stock.

In closing a BFMIC does help on a stock turbo.
Nigel

http://www.brutalfab.com/store/
turbo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by turbo666 View Post

In closing a BFMIC does help on a stock turbo.

And by Big FMIC, he means my penis!!

I guess a BFMIC would be one of it not the very last thing I would purchase for a stock turbo'd car.

I'd look at the CX racing or the ETS direct fit over an ebay crappy IC anyday.

Nunca Levanta

Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37744

Ralph runs a Godspeed on his car

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f416...-parts-639326/ my for sale thread
jay05acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86347

Quote: Originally Posted by jay05acr View Post

LOLZ

2011 Silverado Z71: Daily Driver

"Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid"
" If you want to win, don't do it by a bumper.... do it by Buses "
Ridin59vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by jay05acr View Post

fucker!!

Nunca Levanta

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

How did this turn into a ebay vs stock thread? It was about BFMIC vs stock (which is like a weekly debate).

CX racing does not make a bad intercooler and I would not call them a "ebay" intercooler. Sure they have a store on ebay but a lot of companies due now. They are nothing like godspeed which is COMPLETE shit.

I switched between a stock and quickwhips BFMIC a lot a couple years ago and did a lot of datalogging. My intake temps were on average with the stock intercooler between 110-140 degrees on a hot summers day. With the quickwhips, 10-15 over ambient was the highest I saw. Car felt a lot better with the BFMIC.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by tunerlover3 View Post
How did this turn into a ebay vs stock thread? It was about BFMIC vs stock (which is like a weekly debate).

CX racing does not make a bad intercooler and I would not call them a "ebay" intercooler. Sure they have a store on ebay but a lot of companies due now. They are nothing like godspeed which is COMPLETE shit.

I switched between a stock and quickwhips BFMIC a lot a couple years ago and did a lot of datalogging. My intake temps were on average with the stock intercooler between 110-140 degrees on a hot summers day. With the quickwhips, 10-15 over ambient was the highest I saw. Car felt a lot better with the BFMIC.

Dan I'm speaking of the god speed big fmic. They used to be sold by another company under a different name. Let's be real. 95 percent of guys who purchase a bfmic do it for looks and could care less about pressure drop or power for that matter. I mentioned stock IC because there are better ways to spen your money than on a big fmic. I know a stage 3 car that traps 120 with the stocker. That tells me it does not limit power as much as people think it will.

Nunca Levanta

Sponsored Links
Advertisement