Dodge SRT Forum banner

How Reliable Should This Car Be?? Been Out of the Game...

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  qwiksilvertrav 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I used to own an '05 SRT4 and enjoyed all 4yrs of ownership. Since then, I have messed with Mustangs, Camaros, and even a Lincoln.

I have the opportunity to trade my 1996 Cobra for a 2004 SRT-4 with a Stage 3 setup and Turbo Toys. It also has Weisco Rods/Pistons, Forged Crank, Stage 1 cams, Big FMIC, Mopar Suspension, and HKS BOV.

Makes 413whp/430wtq on 93. Car comes with all supporting paperwork.

The engine was done at 40k miles and the car currently has 85k miles.

I drive my cars at least 150 miles a week, sometimes double that, and I don't want to get a bomb. How are the cars holding up? Is there anything specific I need to check out?

Like I said, I haven't messed with an SRT in quite some time. I would love to have this car due to it having everything I wanted my old car to have.:clap:

Thank you in advance for any input!!

#5 ·
Its all going to be maintenance. if the engine was recently rebuilt, you shouldn't have to worry about a timing belt/water pump etc. check tie rods, wheel bearings, control arm bushings front AND rear.

#11 ·
Reliability is relative IMO. People say that neons are unreliable when in fact they are too cheap to take it to the shop (or have the skills to diy) to have regular maintenance and minor repairs done. People say that BMW and Mercedes are reliable. Well, people that purchase those cars have the coin to do the regular maintenance and repairs so... yes those are more reliable if you take good care of them.

I have a 1gn that is going on 240 k/miles and runs like a top and doesn't burn oil and can out maneuver most "luxury" cars on the curves (it does suck on the straight line though). I do all the regular maintenance on my budget and it works for me and my car.

It is what it is. Poor/cheap people drive inexpensive cars and don't take care of them. In the end they die a horrible death and are deemed unreliable. People with bigger budgets buy the more expensive cars and don't take care of anything and let the dealer handle it all. $500 brake job... umm, yea, no thanks.

OP:
"I have the opportunity to trade my 1996 Cobra for a 2004 SRT-4 with a Stage 3 setup and Turbo Toys. It also has Weisco Rods/Pistons, Forged Crank, Stage 1 cams, Big FMIC, Mopar Suspension, and HKS BOV."

1. I didn't know that there was a popularly available "forged" crank for the SRT. Please get more info.
2. I wasn't aware that Wiseco made rods for our cars. Please advise.
3. What are stage 1 cams? (brand would be ideal)

I don't want you to get fed snake oil with the forged this and cams that.

In the end if it is a solid car then do the trade. The SRT-4 platform IMO is a fun and inexpensive builder than can go from mild to wild really quick and doesn't hurt the pocketbook.

Good luck either way!

#13 ·
I know almost nothing but I did look at the craiglist ad. Cars that are built up like that and reliability generally do not go together. In my opinion a 10 year old SRT-4 that has been well maintained and relatively close to stock should be pretty reliable. One that has been built up and changed hands many times like that one probably not so much.

Edit: also I see no VIN in the ad. Might want to grab that and pull a carfax.

#15 ·
Pretty sure he isn't going to buy it after what I have told him about it. My car is mildly built and I'm the second owner with just over 59k miles for my 04. I would drive my car anywhere. I'm a grown man and it's my daily so I don't beat on it like some young kid, I take care of what I have and so did the previous owner. I still have all the original paperwork for it.

Could go on about the car in question but have given the op all the info he needs and I hope he passes.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey tony... How far are you willing to travel? Sometimes there's a few good ones out here in california. No i'm not hinting at mine...you wouldn't want it :rofl: Don't be afraid to look further than 500 miles away from you. Keep us posted and share the links of the cars for sale you see here and we will be happy to share our thoughts on what we see.

#26 ·
Power seems pretty high for a stock stage 3 with bolt ons and not even on E85? I first dyno'd my stage 3 when it was stock with an intake and exhaust on HOM and it did 333whp/350wtq. Now just on 93? hmmmm. More mods than what you listed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.