Help: replaced PCV valve, still whiteish smoke after a hard pull - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 58657
Default Help: replaced PCV valve, still whiteish smoke after a hard pull

so after i make a hard pull, my car always pours out a decent amount of smoke a few seconds afterward. doesnt really do it much after a 2nd gear pull, but after a 3rd gear pull it pours out quite a bit, and it smells something fierce i know its not coolant because my coolant level always stays the same, and these fumes smell like burning oil. im thinking that either my turbo seals are going, or maybe the head gasket. my car has a stock turbo, only 49,000 miles. what do you guys think it is? btw this problem is non-existent under normal and somewhat spirited driving conditions
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 57020

do you have a check valve?
CBD Air Induction Hood & Eyelids
Tein S. Techs
eBay MBC & CF Tails
17" ADR w/Chrome lip
StockSRT-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by StockSRT-4 View Post
do you have a check valve?

no sir, but i do have a properly fuctioning oil catch can though
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

oh did u check your oil to see if its a tad frothy?

You might have been building boost in your case & that can blow seals or cause blown head gaskets (white smoke) especially after a hard pull.
Tein S. Techs
eBay MBC & CF Tails
17" ADR w/Chrome lip
Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

oh did u check your oil to see if its a tad frothy?

You might have been building boost in your case & that can blow seals or cause blown head gaskets (white smoke) especially after a hard pull.

the oil in the catch can is really creamy and light, but i heard its like that in the winter months. last time i changed my oil (a month ago) looked fine, plain, black, runny lol. but on the valve cover, isnt it ok to cap that nipple going to the intake? i have it capped on the cover and on the intake. is this ok?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 50458

Quote: Originally Posted by Tripl3black_SRT-4 View Post
the oil in the catch can is really creamy and light, but i heard its like that in the winter months. last time i changed my oil (a month ago) looked fine, plain, black, runny lol. but on the valve cover, isnt it ok to cap that nipple going to the intake? i have it capped on the cover and on the intake. is this ok?

FUCK NO! Do not do that!

LLk
KlugSRT-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by KlugSRT-4 View Post
FUCK NO! Do not do that!

omg wtf! the guy that put my downpipe and o2 in capped it and said itd be ok... when i thought about it it didnt make sense. what does that line actually do, the one coming from the head? does it vent pressure from the crankcase/ block?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

omg wtf! the guy that put my downpipe and o2 in capped it and said itd be ok... when i thought about it it didnt make sense. what does that line actually do, the one coming from the head? does it vent pressure from the crankcase/ block?

Yes. It vents just like the PCV Valve does. But it is not restricted like the pcv valve is. Its so when you are under boost it vents out the boost that is trapped in your crankcase. IMO it is more important then the pcv valve side of it. Under boost your PCV valve is closed and with that plugged there is nothing letting it out besides your dipstick and a couple other places you dont want it to.

I really hope the guy that you had put it on isnt a mechanic or anything. If he is dont go back to him please.

LLk

Last edited by KlugSRT-4; 01-07-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

yea I guess but u gottathink thats just pushing more air back into the case when your under boost if u don't have a check valve.

I have never seen oil in a catch can creamy in my car even in winter ( just checked it again) It may happen idk just in my experiences. White smoke is generally coolant burning up, could be other things but generally coolant(blown headgasket, cracked block etc) if its happening right after a hard pull you probably have a worn headgasket. Thats not always the case though. You said you don't lose any coolant?

Have you checked the resevoir fill line or just take off the cap on the thermostat housing? Because it pulls/pushes coolant when it needs it.

Check your oil dipstick see what the oil looks like. Drain some of your coolant and look if there's oil in it(it will be colory rainbow shit u know what I mean ifbu ever see it spilled on the floor)

I had these same symptoms In my prelude and sure enough it was a blown headgasket!
Tein S. Techs
eBay MBC & CF Tails
17" ADR w/Chrome lip
Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

yea I guess but u gottathink thats just pushing more air back into the case when your under boost if u don't have a check valve.

I have never seen oil in a catch can creamy in my car even in winter ( just checked it again) It may happen idk just in my experiences. White smoke is generally coolant burning up, could be other things but generally coolant(blown headgasket, cracked block etc) if its happening right after a hard pull you probably have a worn headgasket. Thats not always the case though. You said you don't lose any coolant?

Have you checked the resevoir fill line or just take off the cap on the thermostat housing? Because it pulls/pushes coolant when it needs it.

Check your oil dipstick see what the oil looks like. Drain some of your coolant and look if there's oil in it(it will be colory rainbow shit u know what I mean ifbu ever see it spilled on the floor)

I had these same symptoms In my prelude and sure enough it was a blown headgasket!

The bold is dumb. the PCV Valve is a check valve. So it is not pushing any boost into your engine. People run check valves just incase your catch can is leaking or a hose, etc. But the pcv valve is closed when under boost.

The milky oil in the catch can is completly normal. Water with synthetic does that.

LLk
Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

yea that vent is also for emissions purposes, it vents unburnt fuel back into the intake to be reburnt.
Tein S. Techs
eBay MBC & CF Tails
17" ADR w/Chrome lip
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

yea that vent is also for emissions purposes, it vents unburnt fuel back into the intake to be reburnt.

hahahahahaha What? Thats called a EGR. Has nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

LLk
Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by KlugSRT-4 View Post
The bold is dumb. the PCV Valve is a check valve. So it is not pushing any boost into your engine. People run check valves just incase your catch can is leaking or a hose, etc. But the pcv valve is closed when under boost.

The milky oil in the catch can is completly normal. Water with synthetic does that.

yeamy b I take that back but the point is u don't want pressure in your case, if it did happen to blow out the dipstick there would be oil everywhere u don't want it!
Tein S. Techs
eBay MBC & CF Tails
17" ADR w/Chrome lip
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

yeamy b I take that back but the point is u don't want pressure in your case, if it did happen to blow out the dipstick there would be oil everywhere u don't want it!

True. Best case it vaccum in the case all the time. The only way to do that is to have your pcv valve hooked to your intake manifold after the throttle body. The pcv valve, is a check valve. You only need another check valve if you are running high boost and/or catch can that could leak. The vent on the right needs to be hooked into the air intake for the turbo. so when you are under boost the pcv valve is closed, not letting anythin in or out. The only thing that is under vaccum is the air intake for the turbo and that is where the vent on the right side needs to be hooked up to.

LLk
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

ok i fixed the capped off nipple on the intake/valve cover. i put a straight piece of hose in between them, as it came from the factory. what gets me is this guy makes and tunes 50 trim kits for our cars, fuel return line kits, etc etc etc... what the f***!!! though! that always seemed weird b.c. i knew it was a vent of some sort. wow. well my car never burned anything before this happened. now with this hose in place, if i still have smoke coming from my pipes after a pull, then someone is gunna get a nice little visit from me
Advertisement