47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Help me decide! Save the SRT or not?

Bought it brand new back in 03 with 120k on it with the mods in my sig...been in storage now for almost a year...been starting it periodically to let it breath while in storage.
Right now I'm deciding on whether to keep it or not. Options are to sell it, keep it as a winter beater and do minimal mods to it to keep it running or dump some big $$ in it to bring it back to life.

Right now it was running fine but turbo is going on it. Was putting out 405whp 460wtq @ 25psi. Has a chewed up comp wheel and now smokes a little bit under WOT. Everything else seemed to run fine. Engine might be a bit tired...seeping gaskets etc. I'm leaning towards sending the Stage 3 turbo back to Bob and getting that good to go. Then upgrading the internals (rebuild kit from Modern) and replacing all the gaskets in the process etc. Wouldn't have time to do it myself so I'd be paying a buddy that works at a Dodge Dealership to be doing it all at the dealership. They usually give me a pretty good deal on labor.

Body also has rust issues being it's been driven all it's life in winter here in MN. Back wheel wells are getting pretty bad. Then under the trunk seems and under the same area of the hood. Thinking of having a shop getting rid of the rust then going with CF trunk and hood (OEM is junk and will rust again).

Other option is to just sell the damn thing and get a new car. lol I would miss it though...

2003 SRT-4
F&F "EF2" 47lb w/ big turbine S3 w/ TT's | E85 | 1025cc Injectors | 255 Walbro/rewire | RL w/ BN fix | F&F EM Port + Cer Coat | AGP DFFMIC | AGP S3 wga | DCR Ported IM |DCR 55mm TB | B&B's TB 3' Exhaust | Maxxfabb S3 O2/Cer coat | AGP CAI | ED hardpipes | Stoptech brakes | ACT clutch | Quaife LSD | Tociko 5 ways w/ Eibachs
2010 Taurus SHO
Livernois Stage 4 tune | Custom CB Exhaust | Airraid Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Keep it.
Once she rusts away, you will still have a killer powertrain for an omni, rampage, or 1st gen swap.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Tough for me to tell one of the OGs to sell. You will miss her, the turbo withdrawals gets pretty bad and fun to drive you won't find for less than $35K, MAYBE, these days. Car payments for the next 6 years is way more than fixing her up. Add insurance and mods to the new car and it goes up even more.
See if you can salvage the hood though, they are Very hard to find.
Even as worn out as she is, I am sure a smile comes to your face when you drive her.
SER-ious and Xer0cool like this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
well this might cause a bunch of crap.
but..
i'm an original owner, 210k, dd with s3 upgraded to evo8 20g going to evo9 20 g.. shooting for 500 to the wheels

hard to beat the bang for the buck.. 3rd gear burning tires off the rim.

that said.. evo off the line will be 2-3 lenghts out .. and you'll catch him -- maybe

if cash isn't an issue .. get rwd.. and spend the money.. daemon

me.. living the dream.. cheap tires for dd.. burning the crap out of them.. (new set every year),, on the track 26"slicks

at 10+yrs old stuff breaks.. this week .. wifes door doesn't unlock
last year clutch clutch clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvertrav View Post
Bought it brand new back in 03 with 120k on it with the mods in my sig...been in storage now for almost a year...been starting it periodically to let it breath while in storage.
Right now I'm deciding on whether to keep it or not. Options are to sell it, keep it as a winter beater and do minimal mods to it to keep it running or dump some big $$ in it to bring it back to life.

Right now it was running fine but turbo is going on it. Was putting out 405whp 460wtq @ 25psi. Has a chewed up comp wheel and now smokes a little bit under WOT. Everything else seemed to run fine. Engine might be a bit tired...seeping gaskets etc. I'm leaning towards sending the Stage 3 turbo back to Bob and getting that good to go. Then upgrading the internals (rebuild kit from Modern) and replacing all the gaskets in the process etc. Wouldn't have time to do it myself so I'd be paying a buddy that works at a Dodge Dealership to be doing it all at the dealership. They usually give me a pretty good deal on labor.

Body also has rust issues being it's been driven all it's life in winter here in MN. Back wheel wells are getting pretty bad. Then under the trunk seems and under the same area of the hood. Thinking of having a shop getting rid of the rust then going with CF trunk and hood (OEM is junk and will rust again).

Other option is to just sell the damn thing and get a new car. lol I would miss it though...

405hp, 450tq
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451...w-123k-612933/
PCM=S0, DSP rescaled, 3bar map/tip
injectors= Siemens 80# (ebay $200)
built motor, 8.8:1 weisco, eagle-h, strap & windage
S3R DCR manifold ($500) w/evo8 turbo (ebay $150) - 20G/47# ebay ($200)
Evo 8 WGA
24x12x4 w/cast ends - CXRacing (ebay $200)
DataLogger DataQA, $25
Wideband UEGO (ebay $150)
vette rims 275/40/17
needswing v5
SouthBend S3
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Probably get it running as indicated and then sell it to an enthusiast who will drive it every day and keep it running well.
Nothing worse for a car than letting it sit in storage with the occasional start-up.
SER-ious and Robdee30 like this.

It's a pump gas street car.

Last edited by Simon.Starkie; 04-10-2017 at 07:34 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeah, sitting for extended periods , it'll start falling apart.
HybridKid, Slowryd and SER-ious like this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM
SRTforums Member

I picked up rocker panels for mine at $41.00 a piece.
Ive only been driving mine for a week or so since i dumped coin into her.
My daily is a 2015 honda fit, and when i drive the honda, i miss my srt4.
So you may regret selling it.
Idk about usa, but in canada these cars are getting pretty hard to find.
HybridKid and SER-ious like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
^^^
We have a 2008 Honda Fit. Handles like a Go-Cart. Magic Rear Seat allows it to hold as much as an SUV. 34 MPG on regular. Good reliable car.
Still love my 2003 SRT-4 though, even after 14 years and over 118K miles.

It's a pump gas street car.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridKid View Post
Tough for me to tell one of the OGs to sell. You will miss her, the turbo withdrawals gets pretty bad and fun to drive you won't find for less than $35K, MAYBE, these days. Car payments for the next 6 years is way more than fixing her up. Add insurance and mods to the new car and it goes up even more.
See if you can salvage the hood though, they are Very hard to find.
Even as worn out as she is, I am sure a smile comes to your face when you drive her.
I don't miss car payments at all. Keep it, ONLY if you plan on DD'ing if it's going to sit let her go.
HybridKid likes this.

The Answer to 95% of your questions.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...anuals-355520/

2005 NSrt-4

Ingalls Stiffy, Dsp Can tune, Old man mod.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:24 PM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvertrav View Post

This is an interesting decision. I have been dealing with listing my car for sale on and off for a while and i still have it. It's hard to let go especially with the lowball offers and little to no interest on these cars (speaking solely from my experience and location). You should try to get a feel for what you can get for the car, and then decide if its really worth selling or repairing. Like others have mentioned, it's already paid off and its a one owner car. Those are rare. If you value my .02, I vote keep it and repair it, even if its a slow process.
HybridKid likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04itr View Post
This is an interesting decision. I have been dealing with listing my car for sale on and off for a while and i still have it. It's hard to let go especially with the lowball offers and little to no interest on these cars (speaking solely from my experience and location). You should try to get a feel for what you can get for the car, and then decide if its really worth selling or repairing. Like others have mentioned, it's already paid off and its a one owner car. Those are rare. If you value my .02, I vote keep it and repair it, even if its a slow process.
I agree, it should be fixed and used daily. If you sell it, a noob will mess it up.
HybridKid, SER-ious and Robdee30 like this.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowryd View Post
I don't miss car payments at all. Keep it, ONLY if you plan on DD'ing if it's going to sit let her go.
^^^

i agree with this. its one thing if you are going to fix it, but if it just going to sit and rot away, maybe another enthusiast will put time and effort into it, to keep it alive.
I have seen too many roadrunners, super bees, and darts over my life that were 'gonna fix it someday' that rot out and just become parts cars for trim and drive trains.
think of how many srt4's are going to be around in 5 or ten years.....
HybridKid likes this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm constantly thinking of selling mine. Bought my 05 used in 2005 with 16k miles on it. It's all stock except for motor mounts, but I've had a lot of fun with it. Its been sitting for a few years now, just can't bring myself to sell it despite having had several people approach me about buying it.

The little stuff going wrong with this car just got to be too much to keep up with for a DD.

SM-N915V using Tapatalk

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Original owner here. I say keep it. I have toyed with the fact of selling mine, but every time I get in and drive her I fall in love all over again. Here in Tampa, Florida there are a few running around, but a majority of the ones I have seen lately look beat (mis matched bumpers, stickers all over, slammed to the ground) and I have a certain pride knowing mine had been garage kept for most of its life and detailed weekly. Keep her refresh her the way you want to and enjoy for the years to come. After all of these years, you will miss her if you sell.
HybridKid, 04itr and bad/andy/GK like this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 AM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I tried to sell mine on two different occasions. I looked at the srt-4 being sold locally and priced it a little lower than most in similar condition, and figured it would sell. Well months went by and the only people I had message me are idiots that have nothing to do and asked a million dumb questions that were already answered in my ad, set appointments to see the car and never show, and lowball offers because "theyre only looking for a DD." Moral is, given how the current market is (this is subjective to my area/experience) and how slow this forum has become, it may me more of a pain to sell than it would be to keep and maintain. I have hopes that one day these cars will increase in value (I know its unlikely because they're neons) but they are rare and fun cars that some members regret selling. Who knows.
UbIlln likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode