Dodge SRT Forum banner

Getting ready to make the leap to big turbo

1K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Zenkat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone , so i got about 2k set aside so far, and i want to do some REAL mods now that i can actually afford it , would I be better off buying a whole kit or picking out parts individually?

Another big thing i want to ask about is what turbo would you guys recommend? i was trying to look em up and there's SO many options it is incredibly overwhelming.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome

#2 · (Edited)
2k is not enough, depending on what mods you have already and a whole bunch of other things. Before you pick a turbo you need to pick a Hp/usage goal.

First list what mods you currently have.
How do you plan to use the car?
Will this be a pump gas car?
Would you want to play with race gas/E85?
How much $$ do you have to replace broken parts?
How much time to you wish to spend working on/repairing car?
Are you capable of fixing it yourself or paying to have it fixed?
Do you have a tuning/data logging device?
Money for tune?
Wideband?
Exhaust?
Bov?
Clutch?
Fuel system?
Is the car in a state of repair capable of running a big turbo?
Using any oil? Compression/Leak Down test?

Big turbo is not as simple as just bolting up a kit.

Not being an ass, just letting you know what you're about to step into.

As far a turbo choices go take a look at this thread. It's not finished but is probably the most current you will find
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169/looking-new-turbo-turbo-specs-here-637912/

#3 ·
Op it's all about personal goals. Do you want a faster street car 50 trim is always a good option along with the 5431. If your looking for bigger for the track or a high horsepower car your will need more than 2k. A precision kit brand new is 1700 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
That all also depends on how good he is at biding his time and bargain hunting through part outs and the like. Snag a used complete ATP/AGP kit for a grand or less and he's left with another 1k or more to pick up pieces at his leisure, while saving the extra bills he'd need to complete his parts list.

OP, for the time being, take a good look through Braindead's post. Start off slow with items that will be retained once you dump the stock snail such as a WB02, Diablosport, Front Mount, Fueling upgrades, Chassis and Driveline along with any maintenance/upkeep. This also has the added benefit of allowing you considerably less down time in the present and future.

Oh, dig through Braindead's post again. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I highly recommend you get a kit and don't just piece it together, that is unless you can find a good deal used

My route:
5431 AGP kit=$1550
injectors=$230
fuel pump=$100
intune/map/tip sensors=$550(came with AGP email tune)
boost box=$200

Total $2530. It sounds like you should do more research while you save your moneys

#8 ·
I had a hell of a time with my o2 housing piecing together.. It's perfect now but after making so many adjustments to it.. I'd been better of buying a kit..

But after all the trouble in the end happy I did it.. Already made the step to built head.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like i need to save up a bit more . As far as the questions above, here is what I have so far and what I am hoping to get to at some point :

- Car is one of my 2 daily drivers, it is not going to be a track car, just for fun/personal
- Dyno tune and DSP
-Wideband
- 750cc injectors
- wally 255 pump
- DFIC
- Greddy type s bov that came with the car
- 3" exhaust catless DP

I am currently on 276 whp and my goal is to get in the 350-400+ hp

I am in the process of getting ready to start going E85 within the next 2 months , as well as picking up a few other parts. Over the past year Ive spent time replacing a lot of parts that were either about to wear down or were already worn down, so the car is now at a point where I can finally do some serious work on it .

I know enough to fix some of it, and i make enough $ to get whatever i dont know how to do fixed at a shop ( luckily i live right by FWD performance) .

I am currently also checking out edubs thread ( thank you for posting it!)

#11 ·
Oh damn you stay near houston, Im going up to FWD today to pick up a friends car. You ever go to meets or anything around here?

#14 ·
Dodgethissrt4 - I usually go to coffee and cars at vintage park by spring cypress , and the few modern performance meets . I used to go to westheimer and 6 but that shits getting ridiculous nowadays with the idiot drivers.

Jay05acr - Im fixing to get a return line set up and some 1025cc injectors as well as a E85 tune

509mobbin - I honstly dont know enough about this to piece it together myself , or id totally go for this

#16 ·
If running e85 DO Not play around with your fuel system. I am running a wally feeding a bosch 044 in a surge tank. As far as return line setups go, I highly recommend you stay away from the silver and black aeromotive compact efi regulators. The red and silver aeromotive is ok, but my reg of choice is the edelbrock 1728 fpr, it is made by SX and is what I am running. There are others you can use but these are the only ones I have used personally.

I made the mistake of skimping on my fuel system and ended up doing it twice before I finally did it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.