Dodge SRT Forum banner

emissions help!

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Unkn0wn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Hope I'm in the right section to ask this question, but i need some help. I did my emissions today and i failed on 2 readings:

2004 Dodge SRT-4
ASM2525 Test

HC ppm limit 66, Reading 77
CO% Limit 0.37, Reading 0.59
NO ppm Limit 505, Reading 155

I Am .50 trim running 750's, 3-bar sensors, with a re-scale, and a recently installed high flow cat. Should i lean it out a bit?
Any input on the likely culprits would be welcome. Thanks!

#3 ·
I am using the Dsp, and I no longer have the stock down pipe or sensors, so changing those are not an option right now. I will try to pick up some sensors and see where that will take me.

Last time i had to do emissions, i paid a shop $100 and they sniffed some other car. This year he wanted $300:wah?!:
I have a feeling this is going to get expensive:eeeek:

Thanks tunerlover3

#4 ·
you wouldn't need to do anything except put on a normal catted dp for the test and it should pass. high flow 'cat converters' usually aren't anything more than something made to look like a cat and don't really have any filtering capability. I have a Thermal R&D full turbo back exhaust WITH cat and I pass just fine.

Your numbers are close enough to the limit that you shouldn't need to change anything but your dp and you should be good. You can usually find used ones on here for around $100 or you can spend a little more money and get a new one that goes with your exhaust.

#5 ·
The truth is, I had this High flow cat installed last fall, onto my cat-less Perrin exhaust. I was told by the shop that it would be enough to pass emissions, if i got it nice and hot.

I will try tunerlover's advice first (Cheapest option) , and if that fails, I'll consider a new downpipe. Thanks for your input:thumbsup:

#6 ·
Looks exactly like mine with the high flow cat lol I lowered the coilovers down so it didn't fit on the dyno and they did 2 idle tests and it passed that.

Just saw your in Toronto, go to standard auto wreckers and grab a downpipe from a 2.0 neon they are the same as ours and throw it on for the test.

One more thing to try, dump a few bottles of gas line antifreeze in your tank (methanol) with a very low amount of fuel and go in for a test, that got my HC and CO down and even NOx a little bit as well, it produces oxygen as it burns and it bonds with the CO molecules as well as helps to burn the HC in the cat. Just make sure you fill the tank afterwards.

#7 ·
Maybe i should lower my coilovers too :lol: I passed the idle test no problem.

Looks exactly like mine with the high flow cat lol I lowered the coilovers down so it didn't fit on the dyno and they did 2 idle tests and it passed that.

Just saw your in Toronto, go to standard auto wreckers and grab a downpipe from a 2.0 neon they are the same as ours and throw it on for the test.

One more thing to try, dump a few bottles of gas line antifreeze in your tank (methanol) with a very low amount of fuel and go in for a test, that got my HC and CO down and even NOx a little bit as well, it produces oxygen as it burns and it bonds with the CO molecules as well as helps to burn the HC in the cat. Just make sure you fill the tank afterwards.

^^^ Yet another option i will try.. Thanks for your input

#11 ·
haha nice! Glad that stuff works it usually doesn't, nothing funnier then people freaking out at the service counter when their car didn't pass after using it lmao, gotta love working at crappy tire

#13 ·
I bought some oil system stop leak stuff at CT for my old Subaru that had a money back guarantee. When it didn't know (and I knew it wouldn't) I couldn't even be bother to do what I had to do to get my money back lol. That's what they are counting on.

Well thanks Toronto! You'll have more locals to sell them to than I would I am sure.

#15 ·
I bought some oil system stop leak stuff at CT for my old Subaru that had a money back guarantee. When it didn't know (and I knew it wouldn't) I couldn't even be bother to do what I had to do to get my money back lol. That's what they are counting on.

Well thanks Toronto! You'll have more locals to sell them to than I would I am sure.
Exactly!! Most people wont bother. I'm happy it worked.

You're welcome buddy!!

#22 ·
They do a different emissions test in different provinces/states, the one they do here in Ontario is a sniffer test, the non fouler mod will stop it from throwing a CEL for having no cat, but it won't help with the actual gasses coming out of the pipe, that's where they get us here.

Apparently next year they are switching to OBDII testing here though, which actually works out for the better since you can just do the non fouler mod and not have to worry about the sniffer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.