CRANKWALK! and the end of srt days for me - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88194
Default CRANKWALK! and the end of srt days for me

took my car and had my timing belt changed and everything else plus cam n crank seals. 05 at 59k i just wanted to be safe. finally i got it back and drove it around to cure the withdrawls some but sure as shit when i got home i discovered an oil leak from the timing area and immediatly called the shop who told me to bring it in. turns out the crank seal didnt seat so he put a new on in and gave it back to me only to have the same issue reoccur on my 8 mile trip home. so i took it to liberty chrysler dodge to have them tell me what the problem was because i was worried the other shop was just tryin to get more money from me.
boy was i salty when they called me late afternoon the following day. turns out i have massive amounts of crank walk waaaay out of spec. how can this be? its an 05 with 59061 miles. i shouldnt be dealing with a problem of that magnitude? i told them they needed to do something about it because thats a load of shit a car so new has an issue so big and they told me too bad sooo sad. so i called and made a claim with chrysler who sent me to the srt customer service dept. they were more than willing to help me but they had to talk to the dealer ship first.
Apparently because i have brian crower stage 2 cams they arent gonna do shit and want 4000 for a new shortblock. i love my car. ive been told at times i might like it more than the rest of my family, wife included. i love being a part of these forums and all the knowledge everyone has and shares, you guys are truely awesome, but this seems the end of the road for me.

ive done a lot of research i guess this is a big problem with the 2.4s just never made an open problem with the 05 srt platform. i dont know how bad the bottom end actually is i havent been able to talk to the tech yet to see if there was scoring or not.

any ideas on how to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated it. ill provide any information i can. i do have some money as i just got my tax return just dont have 4k to dump into a car i just paid 10k for a year ago and still owe 4k on. you guys have never let me down so i appreciate all the help i will recieve in advance.

thanks,
will
william2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 63272

Yes there were indeed issues with the 2.4s

Sent from
BW s200sx-rs-56 .63ar
1997 Black 1G, 2.4 built and turboed-project

Any1 local in need of PCM flash...hit me up
badboydneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 32888
Lifetime Premium Member

i heard some off the pt gt had bad trust bearing

but if you swapped in a srt on it was fine,,, not sure how true this is but its what i heard
Need Fuel setup ideas click here
Props go out to:
Mindmelt101, Tuner Geeks, Act, Wikyd Performance, Pwerks

Last edited by underSRTarmor; 02-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
underSRTarmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 69549

Never heard about the 2.4 platform having those issues. Well not severe enough to warrant any serious alarm.

How much play is there?

One would figure that a simple main bearing refresh would fix the problem. The thrust bearing is on #3, and that is the one that keeps the crank in check.

I would want to see the play for myself before throwing in the towel.
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 12671
Default Re: CRANKWALK! and the end of srt days for me

I've owned my SRT since new in 04 and been a member here since and have never heard of this being a common issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Oil Leak on passenger side pretty much go to post #12

Not every 2.4 had the issue, but a good amount did

Sent from
BW s200sx-rs-56 .63ar

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Looks like the 05 and 06 2.4s had the issues

Sent from
BW s200sx-rs-56 .63ar

Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 40182

I've heard this is a problem on the pt's but not the srt's. i've got an 05 with same milage and it is leaking from the pass. side. i was thinking cam seals but no i'm kinda scared that its this.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

Its not as common as you are making it out to be.

Like others have said if the crank itself is not damaged from having too much play, I would throw a set of main bearings in it.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

i said 2.4s i didnt mean the srt or any turbo 2.4 but other n/a 2.4 cars it was a common issue i could only find 1 other person who had this problem and his was at 120k and dodge only asked he pay 1500 of a 5200 bill bc its a assembly error from the factory
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 82114

Quote: Originally Posted by RedlineRacer4 View Post
I've heard this is a problem on the pt's but not the srt's. i've got an 05 with same milage and it is leaking from the pass. side. i was thinking cam seals but no i'm kinda scared that its this.

I'm with you, I noticed the issue over the summer, now I'm concerned too. I have 58k on my 05 ACR and just dropped $4k on a big turbo and clutch and stuff....
n_charpy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

my only issue is i was told the srt tech pulled the head and then could tell i had too much play which i dont fully understand how that he could tell unless he unbolted the oil pan so he could see the crank. i feel like all he saw were my pistons in the cylinders and how he came to the conclusion that i needed a new short block still confuses me. and for some reason i wasnt able to talk to him over the phone just the lady at the service desk. she just kept telling me he was in the back working. i could of went and talked to him in person today but i got off work after they close and he wont be back till monday.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 40182

Quote: Originally Posted by william2005 View Post
i said 2.4s i didnt mean the srt or any turbo 2.4 but other n/a 2.4 cars it was a common issue i could only find 1 other person who had this problem and his was at 120k and dodge only asked he pay 1500 of a 5200 bill bc its a assembly error from the factory

this is correct, i work at a dealership and just looked at chrysler star cases and thats exactly it. more common on n/a car's. there hasn't been enough turbo cars with this issue to have a star case written about it....

and a little relief sets in

Last edited by RedlineRacer4; 02-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
RedlineRacer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by n_charpy89 View Post
I'm with you, I noticed the issue over the summer, now I'm concerned too. I have 58k on my 05 ACR and just dropped $4k on a big turbo and clutch and stuff....

If your seal popped out, it'd be dripping oil onto the ground pretty quick. Are u having that issue?

Sent from
BW s200sx-rs-56 .63ar

Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I don't know that there is neccessarily an issue, but they did issue a bulletin through parts that "IF" there is a leak w/ the front crank seal (4667198), then to do the following:

Quote: Originally Posted by STAR Parts
Tech Tip Part Description: Front Seal, Pump 2.4L

Tech Tip Description: If the front crankshaft seal is popped/pushed out measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out specification please see the STAR online case # K93016699 for recommended repair procedure.

Quote: Originally Posted by K93016699
Case Number K93016699
Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 , 2006
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan , JR - Sebring Convertible , PT - Chrysler Cruiser , RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak , Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094"), perform the following procedure;

Remove engine from vehicle (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Remove bedplate (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Inspect the following components: Rod bearings, main bearings, #3 thrust bearing, and #3 bulkhead for scoring.

If rod bearings, main bearings, and/or bulkhead are scored, replace short block.

If rod and main bearings show no scoring, but #3 thrust surface is scored, go to next step.

Measure width of the #3 bulkhead in the engine block and bedplate (Specification is 23.56/23.51mm). If measurement falls outside the range of specifications, then replace the short block.

Inspect crankshaft thrust faces (front and rear). If scored and/or worn, replace crankshaft.

Inspect condition of thrust bearing. If scored and/or worn, replace all new engine bearings.

Inspect back side of the oil pump (look for contact condition between the crankshaft and oil pump) – If contact is observed, install new oil pump, and a new front crankshaft seal.

Modification Date 11/9/05 12:03 PM

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, but IF you have the front seal pop out AND your crank end play is off THEN you may need some work done. I doubt it will be a major issue, but there is the meat and potatoes of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement