Dodge SRT Forum banner

Clutchmasters stage 4 clutch?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  enginjoe 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a clutch masters stage 4 clutch but not really sure whether or not I want a 4 puck or 6 puck. I daily drive the car but usually less then 5 miles a day and I plan on tracking it at least once a month. Also has anyone used the clutch masters stage 4 before? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

#2 ·
i had the cm s3 with light weight flywheel, drove fine.. only held 400, i'm making 450.. so it slipped.. ugh
currently i'm running a sbc.. feels a little firmer than stock..

i think its important not to get to much cluch because you'll snap the input shaft..

would have ... should have .. could have.. get the act.. DN4-XTSD or hdss

#3 ·
I had one of their very first kits for the SRT-4 when they were rebuilding OEM Sachs modular clutch/flywheel assemblies with their own disc and apparently slightly modifying the OEM pressure plate. It lasted maybe 10k miles before the cage that held the damper spring on the sprung-hub disc broke, the spring fell out into the clutch and jammed between the disc and plate, not allowing it to disengage.

They still offer rebuilt OEM kits with upgraded discs as well as a complete replacement aluminum flywheel (with steel insert) and their own pressure plate. Besides my own experience I've never been a big fan of rebuilding stock clutches. They've been really hit or miss and you're still left with a grey iron flywheel that can't take a ton of heat.

I can't speak to Clutch Master's non-modular kits as I've never run one and haven't been tracking how they've ben holding up. You'll want to do some research on that.

As for the disc type, if your car is reasonably modified and making a significant amount of torque where you need more torque capacity than a stock clutch but still daily driving, the six-puck, sprung hub ceramic discs will offer a touch better drivability but they still act like an on-off switch and you need to really rev and slightly slip for a smooth take off. In other words, while you can daily drive them they usually aren't fun and some people's tolerances are different than others.

If you're still on the stock turbo and don't have a massive torque spike from running the turbo too hard in the mid-range a stock clutch holds up reasonable well if you don't slip and burn the friction material. They'll even hold up well to a little drag racing and other track driving if treated well and generally have the best drivability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.