aem uego started making a loud ringing noise....wtf? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 27743
Default aem uego started making a loud ringing noise....wtf?

hello all...i installed the aem uego on top of my steering column about 4 weeks ago and as of last week i noticed that there seems to be a high pitched ringing sound coming from somewhere in my dash related to the uego

the sound is not coming out of my stereo whatsoever....but its also not coming from the gauge itself or the fuse box where the wiring is....when i disconnected the gauge the noise disappeared...this is how i know its related to the gauge

i didnt have a chance to hardwire the gauge into the fuse box wiring so i just put the red wire in the fuse slot with the radio fuse....could this be causing the ringing?...the gauge is disconnected for now until i can try and figure this out...im glad i didnt hack the wiring behind the fuse box in case i have to get rid of this gauge

anyone have any ideas?
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3373

You could have a bad ground, re-check your wiring before you set your car on fire.

New daily: 05 C55 AMG
KALVIN97GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Member Number: 57126
Lifetime Premium Member

Some make a very high pitched noise like an old TV but if it's ringing, as stated above, I'd wire it properly first then go from there.
NorthNJSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 16135

Yep I believe this is likely a bad/poor ground at some point, as others have mentioned
Glmwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I thought it might be the ground wire too but i wired the ground wire to the same spot in the how-to on the fuse box panel screw....if it's normal for some of these gauges to make this noise I'll deal with it....and North your right....it sounds like an old TV set....but you can only hear it when the radio is off and the car is idling

I'm hoping this sound is happening only because I don't have the gauge hardwired yet....I'll try to get to it this weekend but for now I have the gauge disconnected
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Glmwpg View Post
Yep I believe this is likely a bad/poor ground at some point, as others have mentioned

So if the fuse box panel screw is a bad ground than where else can I ground the gauge?....the wire is only so long and I even had the ground connected to the big bolt on the inside door panel at first....I switched the ground to the fuse box panel screw to see if it would stop the noise and it still does it....I originally thought the bolt on the inner door panel by the fuse box was a better ground than the fuse box panel screw....I was wrong
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Lifetime Premium Member

I remove the fuse panel bracket, brighten the surfaces around the screw with sandpaper then sandwich the ground wires in there with about an inch of wire exposed. I probably have 6 wires stuffed in there and no issues with my electronics (AEM UEGO, dual Aeroforce Interceptors, CMGS, EBC, SSI-4, etc). All my power leads are soldered into the wiper motor leads.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by NorthNJSRT4 View Post
I remove the fuse panel bracket, brighten the surfaces around the screw with sandpaper then sandwich the ground wires in there with about an inch of wire exposed. I probably have 6 wires stuffed in there and no issues with my electronics (AEM UEGO, dual Aeroforce Interceptors, CMGS, EBC, SSI-4, etc). All my power leads are soldered into the wiper motor leads.

WOW!!!...thats a great idea North!!...I would of never thought of that!!!...just to be clear....you strip an inch of insulation off of all your ground wires and then you sandwich them in between the screw and the panel?....i have to apologize for my ignorance but wiring was and still is not my strong my point

is the radio fuse a good place to wire the gauge to or should i use the wiper fuse?....there seems to be a huge ongoing debate in the UEGO how-to
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by ORSRT05 View Post
WOW!!!...thats a great idea North!!...I would of never thought of that!!!...just to be clear....you strip an inch of insulation off of all your ground wires and then you sandwich them in between the screw and the panel?....i have to apologize for my ignorance but wiring was and still is not my strong my point

is the radio fuse a good place to wire the gauge to or should i use the wiper fuse?....there seems to be a huge ongoing debate in the UEGO how-to

I sandwich them between the metal dash frame and the metal fuse panel bracket then tighten the screw so they're captive. Just make sure to sandpaper the metal shiny so you get good contact. (The dash frame is a very good ground because it has multiple contact points with the chassis.)

The radio fuse is good too, the gauges don't pull that many amps. I just like the wiper motor leads because there's two of them (I have a lot of crap wired in) and I rarely run the wipers so it's pretty much a dedicated circuit for my on-board electronics.

Last edited by NorthNJSRT4; 09-24-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Update: I finally got around to shining up the metal surfaces and the damn gauge still makes a ringing noise.....is it even worth it to hardwire the positive wire to the back of the fuse box in the hopes that it will cure this ringing noise?....gauge works perfectly fine otherwise
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement