Advice Needed - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice Needed

I am a brand new NSRT4 owner and this is my first post . Just bought an 05 6 days ago with 55K miles on it. I am not a gearhead by any means but can turn a wrench, so please take it easy on me. But after 6 days of researching this forum and google etc., its time I need some advice

Mods: (From what I have verified, researching on here and looking at the car)

Kinetic WGA (Off PCM Boost)
CAI
Solid Motor Mounts
Mopar Blow Off Plate
Aftermarket 3" Exhaust No CAT (Brand??)
Apexi AFC Neo
AEM Boost Guage
AEM A/F Wideband Guage
AEM Oil Pressure Guage
Apexi Turbo Timer
*Granatelli Spark Plug Wires* just discovered these today, thought it had stock ones on

When I first got her she ran like complete CRAP. Throwing overboost codes everytime I punched it, and had major spark plug blow out in 4th, 5th gear high speed high RPM. After researching on here I adjusted the WGA and I've got the overboost codes gone away by making it spike 17-18psi and hold 14-15psi. I also read and learned how to use the Apexi Neo fuel management and I have set my AFRs to the mid-hi 10s like 10.5ish on all gears/rpms ranges. Of course it still idles and cruises at like 14.7 but it's supposed to. So pretty much I've got it all taken care of from where it was at. First I thought I bough a POS! But thanks to this forum and lots of research I've got her dialed in.

Now I know that some of you (TuneLover) are going to tell me "I'm Doing It Wrong" and go back to on PCM boost and to get an OE, Stage 2, FM wastegate....but I'm having no issues with the way she is running right now not to mention I can't find my Stock Solenoids I also know from reading that just about everything that has been done to my car is "old news" and there are bigger and better things out there in todays world, I'm not disagreeing. But, and there's always a but....I don't have thousands of dollars to run out and buy everything and slap it on to build it exactly how it "should" be according to everyone here. I would like to start piecing things together and getting it up to current tech levels of 2012 So I've got a few questions as far as "my path" is concerned.

1. Will a DSP, Trinity, itune be of any benefit right now? While I'm off PCM boost? If I'm gonna need one eventually, maybe it could be my first purchase if it would help me right now?

2. After I eventually get a FM WGA, Vac Lines rerouted correctly for PCM boost, and hook it up with a 93 tune.....then what? Will that be WAY better than my current set up or more HP? I mean other than "I'm doing it wrong" what is the benefit to spending a bunch of money to re-do everything that's already been done if I'm liking it the way it is now?

3. Will I need to un-hook the Apexi Neo once I get a DSP/Trinity etc, or can I just turn the Auto Correct off, set everything to 0 and basically just leave it there to look cool so I don't jack anything up trying to rip it outta there.

4. If I do leave everything the way it is now....what can I do next to add more Horsepower? Don't really like the idea of spending $$$ to go backwards or get nothing out of it, so thats why I'm interested in the Performance Gains of going back to a different WGA, DSP, PCM Boost, 93 Tune, etc etc....

I don't really have any real HP # in mind....I don't need to make 400+ horsepower, nor could I probably afford it....but I'd like to get as much out of what I've got basically....seeing some people are saying that close to 300 can be expected out of the stock turbo....so

Thanks for reading and thanks to all those that wish to respond and hopefully no one has been drinking haterade prior to reading my post!!

Last edited by giman1983; 11-10-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Fresh Meat Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giman1983 View Post
I am a brand new NSRT4 owner and this is my first post . Just bought an 05 6 days ago with 55K miles on it. I am not a gearhead by any means but can turn a wrench, so please take it easy on me. But after 6 days of researching this forum and google etc., its time I need some advice

Mods: (From what I have verified, researching on here and looking at the car)

Kinetic WGA (Off PCM Boost)
CAI
Solid Motor Mounts
Mopar Blow Off Plate
Aftermarket 3" Exhaust No CAT (Brand??)
Apexi AFC Neo
AEM Boost Guage
AEM A/F Wideband Guage
AEM Oil Pressure Guage
Apexi Turbo Timer

When I first got her she ran like complete CRAP. Throwing overboost codes everytime I punched it, and had major spark plug blow out in 4th, 5th gear high speed high RPM. After researching on here I adjusted the WGA and I've got the overboost codes gone away by making it spike 17-18psi and hold 14-15psi. I also read and learned how to use the Apexi Neo fuel management and I have set my AFRs to the mid-hi 10s like 10.5ish on all gears/rpms ranges. Of course it still idles and cruises at like 14.7 but it's supposed to. So pretty much I've got it all taken care of from where it was at. First I thought I bough a POS! But thanks to this forum and lots of research I've got her dialed in.

Now I know that some of you (TuneLover) are going to tell me "I'm Doing It Wrong" and go back to on PCM boost and to get an OE, Stage 2, FM wastegate....but I'm having no issues with the way she is running right now not to mention I can't find my Stock Solenoids I also know from reading that just about everything that has been done to my car is "old news" and there are bigger and better things out there in todays world, I'm not disagreeing. But, and there's always a but....I don't have thousands of dollars to run out and buy everything and slap it on to build it exactly how it "should" be according to everyone here. I would like to start piecing things together and getting it up to current tech levels of 2012 So I've got a few questions as far as "my path" is concerned.

1. Will a DSP, Trinity, itune be of any benefit right now? While I'm off PCM boost? If I'm gonna need one eventually, maybe it could be my first purchase if it would help me right now?

2. After I eventually get a FM WGA, Vac Lines rerouted correctly for PCM boost, and hook it up with a 93 tune.....then what? Will that be WAY better than my current set up or more HP? I mean other than "I'm doing it wrong" what is the benefit to spending a bunch of money to re-do everything that's already been done if I'm liking it the way it is now?

3. Will I need to un-hook the Apexi Neo once I get a DSP/Trinity etc, or can I just turn the Auto Correct off, set everything to 0 and basically just leave it there to look cool so I don't jack anything up trying to rip it outta there.

4. If I do leave everything the way it is now....what can I do next to add more Horsepower? Don't really like the idea of spending $$$ to go backwards or get nothing out of it, so thats why I'm interested in the Performance Gains of going back to a different WGA, DSP, PCM Boost, 93 Tune, etc etc....

I don't really have any real HP # in mind....I don't need to make 400+ horsepower, nor could I probably afford it....but I'd like to get as much out of what I've got basically....seeing some people are saying that close to 300 can be expected out of the stock turbo....so

Thanks for reading and thanks to all those that wish to respond and hopefully no one has been drinking haterade prior to reading my post!!

That was good. But yeah, you are doing it wrong. But it doesnt hurt to be off PCM control. I did that for a long time but PCM boost is just so much better.

1) Definitely get a Diablo tuner. Yes you can still use the 93 tune with your car being off PCM control. You just wont get the boost benefits from the tune. Youll have to adjust boost yourself. But this is how I used to run my car (AGP off PCM control) and I didnt have issues.

2) The benefits are a smoother less violent boost curve (cause youll be able to have good control of the boost), less part throttle boost, easier driveability, better holding boost (more boost at redline), the list can keep going. PCM boost is just safer, easier on the car, and easier on you. If you like being OFF PCM control, then leave it. There are still plenty of people that are off PCM control. You dont "have" to do its, but its always recommended.

3) Its best to get that Neo out of there but yes you can just set everything to zero and leave it in.

4) With the stock turbo you could either run race gas, get water/meth injection, or if you have E85 in the area go E85. You can definitely make 300HP with either.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yes. All you need is a DSP/trinity/intune and the fuel to make the power. Hook up the stock vac lines, make sure you have a good WGA and you're good for now. I'd get the tuner, some 3bar MAP and TIP sensors, some big injectors and a custom tune.

2005 SRT-4, hole in the block, rebuild in progress
2002 Camaro SS M6, It's alive!
2003 SRT-4 Sold!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Well sounds like my first purchase will be a Diablo Trinity then. That way I can go ahead and do my PCM, and keep running like I am now, and start purchasing my FM WGA, Vaccum Lines, Selenoids, etc....gonna buy stuff 1 item at a time and keep it off the car til I have everything and then put it all on at once. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, once I get my Diablosport Trinity, is there anyone with knowledge of these that could offer assistance? Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Fresh Meat Moderator

I could help you...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Tunerlover3 Thanks for being willing to help! It's much appreciated. I do have 1 more question though and I hope it's not a dumb one as I am pretty new to this stuff. But here it goes anyway.

Since the DSP or Trinity whatever you decide to use actually flashes/writes to the PCM and changes it......couldn't you just have someone who already has one of these program your PCM for you? For instance, you are in Chicago, and only a couple hours from me....If I drove my car to you, couldn't you just program my PCM for a fee, say like $100 instead of me having to pay $600 for the Trinity? And if this is possible, would you be willing to do something like this? Just thinking about saving money that's all. If it isn't possible no big deal, I'll just have to save a bit to buy the Trinity.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giman1983 View Post
Tunerlover3 Thanks for being willing to help! It's much appreciated. I do have 1 more question though and I hope it's not a dumb one as I am pretty new to this stuff. But here it goes anyway.

Since the DSP or Trinity whatever you decide to use actually flashes/writes to the PCM and changes it......couldn't you just have someone who already has one of these program your PCM for you? For instance, you are in Chicago, and only a couple hours from me....If I drove my car to you, couldn't you just program my PCM for a fee, say like $100 instead of me having to pay $600 for the Trinity? And if this is possible, would you be willing to do something like this? Just thinking about saving money that's all. If it isn't possible no big deal, I'll just have to save a bit to buy the Trinity.
Any of the Diablosport products will actually be locked to your PCM, so as far as writing new tunes, no.

You can make small changes with the handheld, but it is really more a communication device used to upload tunes and datalogs to and from the car.

You can use a different tool (someone elses) to datalog with, but it would do you no good if you don't have a tool that is married to your PCM to upload a custom tune to your vehicle with.

When you buy a new tool (Intune/Predator/Trinity) and plug it in, before you can make any changes to the vehicle it will save your original factory "tune" to use as a failsafe and also to use as the original file that will be modified by whoever tunes the car.

Make pretty good sense? lol it's late here and I'm tired

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Fresh Meat Moderator

Yeah pretty much what links saying is its not possible lol.

I cant just use my DSP to tune your car. Each tool is married to that specific vehicle. So you would have to have your own tuner for me to do any sort of tuning.

But I can still help you out PM me so we can talk more about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode