Dodge SRT Forum banner

2003 srt-4 lsd??

23K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  superbird6bbl 
#1 ·
i have a 2003 with stage 1 boosting 18 psi, so naturally without the lsd i am having serious traction problems. i want to get some ideas that are best for my traction problems. i was thinking prolly a used 04 r 05 tranny with lsd already and just bolt it on but i wasn't sure how bolt on that was, would i need different parts are what? i just wanna hear some other ideas and what not as well.

#2 ·
I think taking it to a professional to install the LSD is best.
Traction bars work to.
Solid motor mounts and tranny mounts +1 (or inserts)

#12 ·
lsd's are great for improving cornering traction. On a corner weight load is transfered to the outside front tire but the open diff tends to transfer power to the inside front tire. The corner with the highest weight balance on it is the tire that is going to hook the best. Using a limited slip you maximise traction on that outside tire which helps pull you through the corner. Without a limited slip you often experience understeer under even minimal throttle. With the lsd the car tends to follow it's line better.

As for straight line driving there is a very minimal gain from spinning both tires. When a tire looses traction it doesn't matter if 1 or 2 are spinning. The most noticeable thing from having a lsd when straight line accelerating is the reduction in torque steer.

Like someone earlier stated, good tires and good driving are the key to hooking up on the street. Traction bars and motor mounts do help but even with stock HP if you mash the peddle you will break them loose.

Don't beleive me. On slicks an open diff can achieve a 1.66 second 60'
YouTube - 11 second SRT4 stomps Corvette Z06
Drag Racing Timeslips & Community - Timeslip - MySlips.com

#19 ·
alright lets get off the drivers skill thing jesus...all i wanted to know was if there was a way to get at least some hint of better traction without having to rock slicks everytime i drive my car on the street on a nice day. slicks aren't to practical for everyday driving are they

#20 ·
get a 2 stage boost controller. You could run like 8psi in 1st and 2nd then max boost in 3rd. These work great on our cars especially since 1st and 2nd are so short. A friend of mine 12.8's on street tires stock turbo with his progressive boost controller. His is an 04 so it has lsd but he has no real traction problems. I think he uses some kind of electronic boost control (uses mph to determine boost levels) but it's the same concept. 8psi 1st, 12psi 2nd, 22psi (spike) 3rd and 4th.

You could probably pick up something like that for the cost of the lsd installed and honestly be way faster.

#26 · (Edited)
pretty much yeah.

lsd tranny is around $600, and unless you can install it yourself its going to run another $400ish to install. For $1000 you can get a really nice progressive unit like what the guy above your post said, or get slicks or possibly both.

new slicks will probably run you around $600 total (rims plus tires plus mounting)

launching street tires on VHT prepped tracks (like most drag strips) is actually harder than launching on most dry pavement for wheel spin. Even crappy 120hp honda's have traction problems on street tires.

I guess im just rambling now. So yeah, slicks would be a better investment than an lsd for track drag racing if you have an 03. If you plan on street racing (god forbid) then the progressive unit will be best and honestly the 2 stage manual one is under 300.

If I was going to build a car for street pulls I would do a multi-stage boost controller, traction bars/H-brace (for the wheel hop), and motor/tranny mounts. I don't condone street racing, but whatever. You can probably pick all that up for around $1000. Toss a stage1 ecu in that for overboost codes and whatnot and you would be set. Could probably make 275hp+ and 320tq at full boost and run a high 12 on street tires. As well as smoke most any honda or mustang on the street.... and crash and blow yourself up. be safe kids.

#29 · (Edited)
didnt feel like reading through the long posts. a limited slip will give you best results for auto x and corning etc.while benefits can be a had in a drag racing application, tractions bars, solid motor, tranny mounts, slicks and coilovers with the proper spring rates on these cars will give you much better improvment than an lsd.Until you get to a certain point its really not a must. You could also consider a traction control unit

#44 ·
jack up the front (both sides) and spin a tire, if the tire on the other side is spinning the same direction you have lsd, if it is spinning an opposite direction then you don't have lsd.

#34 ·
if it's an 04 or 05 and has the original tranny, it's got an lsd. If it's an 03 you'd need to get going in a circle in a parking lot in 2nd gear and stand on the gas. if the inside tire starts spinning with lots of smoke and you don't push really wide while accelerating, it's an open diff. If you grip and push wide or both wheels spin a tad you have an lsd.

#38 ·
shit. The tires on srt-4's must be slightly narrower than pt cruiser gt wheels...? Thats what them tires are sitting on now. they are 225/45R 17's. A tire shop told me that 215's is as wide as i shouldve went with the cruiser but honestly 225's worked without problem.

#42 ·
Sweet! Thats good to hear that its been tried for a long term. Now I could see if the sidewall was taller or not as stiff, then you'd prob go A-wall around a corner :lol: but a 45ZR is pretty low pro. Thanks a lot !

#43 ·
taller IS ok. Short and wide is not. that short sidewall is now pinched in like /_\ instead of |_|. You corner, even moderately, and your tire will go from \_\ to /_/.

Stock 205/50-17 tires, 45psi, simulating an emergency situation. Wider tires will deform even more and you really run the risk of the bead coming off or the rim hitting the pavement when it rolls over.

A tire will be safest and perform it's best when mounted on the widest wheel listed by the manufacturer for that given tire size. In the case of the stock tires it's a 7.5" wide wheel, 8" for a 215/50-17, 8.5" for a 225/45-17.

#45 ·
some of the 03's out there have lsd.. i blew my tranny a few weeks after buying my srt a year ago and when i got it back from the dealer with the new trans it had lsd so if you got a new tranny you might be lucky like me!! haha

#48 ·
^^ I think he means if turning one wheel makes the other turn, its still not guaranteed to be the lsd. I think that was mentioned in this thread somewheres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.