16G Big wheel stocker VS E1 Turbo - Page 5 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Performance Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What set-up do you have?
Bone Stock Turbo 43 14.14%
Mopar Stage 1 Set-up 16 5.26%
Mopar Stage 2 Set-up 28 9.21%
Mopar Stage 3 Set-up 27 8.88%
Stock Turbo DSP with minor mods 68 22.37%
Stock Turbo DSP,Full Bolt ons,Tuned,Meth injection 26 8.55%
E1 Turbo or Big wheel stocker Set-up 48 15.79%
Big Turbo Kit on Stock Motor and internals 33 10.86%
Big Turbo Kit with Built Motor 15 4.93%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #61 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76676

Quote: Originally Posted by NorthNJSRT4 View Post
Gonna break it in at 8-10psi for 500miles before I ramp it up and get it fully tuned. I'll let ya know...so far it's pretty sexy.

you bought one? so did i, i get it in a fewdays. COME ON DAN JOIN THE CLUB!!
ggferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #62 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80133

Gonna break it in at 8-10psi for 500miles before I ramp it up and get it fully tuned. I'll let ya know...so far it's pretty sexy.

oops...I broke it in on 20lbs. lol
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #63 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

Quote: Originally Posted by ggferris View Post
you bought one? so did i, i get it in a fewdays. COME ON DAN JOIN THE CLUB!!

Need da monies.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Member Number: 57126
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by ggferris View Post
you bought one? so did i, i get it in a fewdays.

More like testing it out. I've had it for a while now but I had to wait until I got in a radiator and fan shroud from another vendor to test so I only had to drain the fluids out of the car once.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bake_05 View Post
oops...I broke it in on 20lbs. lol

Well, if it starts smoking or the bearing goes out you'll know why.

Last edited by NorthNJSRT4; 07-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.
NorthNJSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #65 (permalink)
Premium Member
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 25570
Premium Member

Back when I had an E1. I pushed that thing to 18 psi the first day it was in. Never had a problem.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #66 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Member Number: 76531
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Back when I had an E1. I pushed that thing to 18 psi the first day it was in. Never had a problem.

There is no "breakin period" for the E1 turbos. Just fire up the car wait till it at optimal operating temp and give it hell lol. oh and keep the boost spike below 23/24lbs to the ensure longevity of the turbo.

* parts should be properly heatcycled. please note correction..
12.8 @108. 312hp/371trq on 93 pump gas. E1 turbo, FM manifold, FM intercooler, FM wastegate.
DynoTuned by Nigel, El Ralfo Racing driver

Last edited by Dragoncustompc; 07-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Dragoncustompc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #67 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Lifetime Premium Member

The service manual quotes the break in period as at least 100 miles with minimal engagement of boost (it's also stated in the S3 install guide). Brand new parts that spin at several hundred thousand RPMs need to be heat cycled and allowed to seat to guarantee their proper function and longevity. I'm going to side with the engineers of the turbo on that one.

Last edited by NorthNJSRT4; 07-20-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #68 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 79072
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by tunerlover3 View Post
Need da monies.

What are you talking about Dan you have all sorts of money
DSP, E1, Turbonetics WG, Ported & Polished Ext Gated Mani, AEM UEGO, 30/30 Boost Gauge, Dogbones, Walbro 255, Perrin FR, AEM CAI, MSD Wires, FP Re-Wire, GReddy BOV w/ EDM pipe, Quickwhips BFMIC, 3" 02 & DP, Boost Box, WOT Box w/2-Step, 3" SEE, Custom Badges By Wiggy, 3bars, Duster360's 1025s, Maddog 80 STS
So Broke I Can't Afford To Pay Attention
sdpbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #69 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Lifetime Premium Member

The service manual quotes the break in period as at least 100 miles with minimal engagement of boost (it's also stated in the S3 install guide). Brand new parts that spin at several hundred thousand RPMs need to be heat cycled and allowed to seat to guarantee their proper function and longevity. I'm going to side with the engineers of the turbo on that one.

Im going by what Mike@FM told me when mine was installed. but i understand what ur saying and agree
12.8 @108. 312hp/371trq on 93 pump gas. E1 turbo, FM manifold, FM intercooler, FM wastegate.

Last edited by Dragoncustompc; 07-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #70 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoncustompc View Post
Im going by what Mike@FM told me when mine was installed. but i understand what ur saying and agree

After reading their warrenty information it makes sense why, they simply don't care if you blow it or if they assembled it\balanced it incorrectly. It's tough shit either way.

Warranty Information

Products are sold "as is" by Forward Motion and are for performance Off Road Use Only. No Warranties whatsoever, written or oral are provided or implies to the purchaser. We cannot assume responsibility of liability for any product or service failure or for product suitability to your application.

Should parts prove to be defective, the buyer assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Forward Motion reserves the right to repair or replace our products if found defective by FM's technical staff.

Here's AGP's. They're telling you that you don't really have a warranty but if something happens they'll at least try to help you.

Before attempting to start the engine, crank the engine with the fuel/ignition shut off for ten to 15 seconds (three separate times) or until the instruments show an oil pressure buildup. Start the engine and allow running at idle speed for 15 to 20 minutes without accelerating or until engine has reached full operating temperature. Check for oil/water leaks around turbocharger and related installed components. After it has been determined that there are no leaks in the oiling system of the turbo, allow approximately 100 miles driven under normal conditions without going into "boost". This is done to properly wash out all of the assembly lube used when assembling the turbocharger, and to allow carbon to build up along the piston ring areas of the turbine shaft. Immediately running the turbocharger to its full potential without proper break-in procedures will cause premature turbocharger failure.

Limited Warranty

AGP Turbochargers, Inc. is an automotive aftermarket manufacturer of quality USA built and assembled products. The nature of the performance and racing industry defines no warranties on any products of any kind. AGP Turbochargers, Inc. does not warrant any products manufactured or distributed by AGP Turbochargers, Inc. (unless otherwise provided by another manufacturer or distributor). AGP Turbochargers, Inc. understands that mistakes can and will happen, and AGP Turbochargers, Inc. will work with the customer at the discretion of AGP Turbochargers, Inc. to remedy a product failure.

Basically, no matter what you do you may be on your own. Would it not be wise to at least TRY to protect your investment by taking the precaution of breaking the turbo in properly as part of due diligence?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #71 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Lifetime Premium Member

After reading their warrenty information it makes sense why, they simply don't care if you blow it or if they assembled it\balanced it incorrectly. It's tough shit either way.

Warranty Information

Products are sold "as is" by Forward Motion and are for performance Off Road Use Only. No Warranties whatsoever, written or oral are provided or implies to the purchaser. We cannot assume responsibility of liability for any product or service failure or for product suitability to your application.

Should parts prove to be defective, the buyer assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Forward Motion reserves the right to repair or replace our products if found defective by FM's technical staff.

Here's AGP's. They're telling you that you don't really have a warranty but if something happens they'll at least try to help you.

Before attempting to start the engine, crank the engine with the fuel/ignition shut off for ten to 15 seconds (three separate times) or until the instruments show an oil pressure buildup. Start the engine and allow running at idle speed for 15 to 20 minutes without accelerating or until engine has reached full operating temperature. Check for oil/water leaks around turbocharger and related installed components. After it has been determined that there are no leaks in the oiling system of the turbo, allow approximately 100 miles driven under normal conditions without going into "boost". This is done to properly wash out all of the assembly lube used when assembling the turbocharger, and to allow carbon to build up along the piston ring areas of the turbine shaft. Immediately running the turbocharger to its full potential without proper break-in procedures will cause premature turbocharger failure.

Limited Warranty

AGP Turbochargers, Inc. is an automotive aftermarket manufacturer of quality USA built and assembled products. The nature of the performance and racing industry defines no warranties on any products of any kind. AGP Turbochargers, Inc. does not warrant any products manufactured or distributed by AGP Turbochargers, Inc. (unless otherwise provided by another manufacturer or distributor). AGP Turbochargers, Inc. understands that mistakes can and will happen, and AGP Turbochargers, Inc. will work with the customer at the discretion of AGP Turbochargers, Inc. to remedy a product failure.

Basically, no matter what you do you may be on your own. Would it not be wise to at least TRY to protect your investment by taking the precaution of breaking the turbo in properly as part of due diligence?

I agree with you.

Last edited by Dragoncustompc; 07-20-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #72 (permalink)
Merderates da formz

Lifetime Premium Member

And nothing against FM or anything, everyone knows I like their stuff.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #73 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80191

I would always do some kinda of break in on a new part? Just like you don't (well shouldn't) start you car and go balls out...

Quote: Originally Posted by never2muchboost View Post
hadoukens will be shat

NeOnDrAgOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #74 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Lifetime Premium Member

And nothing against FM or anything, everyone knows I like their stuff.

You brought up a good point and i agree and will recommend a proper heatcycling before major use from now on and im sure mike@fm meant for me to at least heatcycle the parts so i corrected that post.

Last edited by Dragoncustompc; 07-20-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #75 (permalink)
Premium Member
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 25570
Premium Member

Even tho I never broke in the E1. I did make sure to do the 100 mile break in period on the 2.8. Cuz the zeta cost a lot more to replace.
1600 zeta > 650 e1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement