Transmission Overfill? - Dodge SRT Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
RiotMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: albuquerque
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission Overfill?

I put 3 quarts of atf fluid in the transmission and no problem at first... Today I see it leaking from somewhere on top of the transmission running down my the drain plug... Can this be an overfill... What do I do.. Help... Is it safe to drive.
RiotMaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM
SRTforums Member
 
Hi N Mity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 7,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 quarts is over full. you need to have the car sitting on level ground, the front not jacked up off the ground, or on ramps when you fill it. The trans holds 2.4-2.6 quarts. I would start by parking on level ground and removing the Fill Hole Plug to let the excess drain out to the proper level. When the fluid stops coming out of the fill hole, you are at the proper level. You are approximately 17% over full. thats like adding 6 quarts of oil to your engine, when it only should have 5 quarts in the sump.

Last edited by Hi N Mity; 07-23-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Hi N Mity is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
SRTFORUM Moderator
 
Advans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 23,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fill it up till it comes out the fill hole, wait for it to stop, then put the plug back in.

Edit, what Hi N Mity said.

Advans is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
RiotMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: albuquerque
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi N Mity View Post
3 quarts is over full. you need to have the car sitting on level ground, the front not jacked up off the ground, or on ramps when you fill it. The trans holds 2.4-2.6 quarts. I would start by parking on level ground and removing the Fill Hole Plug to let the excess drain out to the proper level. When the fluid stops coming out of the fill hole, you are at the proper level. You are approximately 17% over full. thats like adding 6 quarts of oil to your engine, when it only should have 5 quarts in the sump.
Will it ruin anything.... Last night I was driving it with overfill... Today I drained out all the excess....
RiotMaker is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
SRTforums Member
 
Hi N Mity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 7,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
probably not for the short amount of time you had it overfilled
Hi N Mity is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
Mopar McNeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Newton, Iowa
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You'll be fine.

AGP 50 Trim .48 A/R, Turbo666 DSP Tuned, DW 750 Injectors, Ported Intake w/ LFS 60mm, AGP Big FMIC, Crane #14 Cams & Cam Gears, ED 3" Exhaust w/ Ported Exhaust Housing/Manifold, Screamin Demon Coil, MSD Wires, DCR Oil Modifier, Perrin Fuel Rail, Walbro 255, AGP Returnline w/ Bottleneck fix and Fuel Pump Rewire, HKS SSQV, Tial 38mm WG, PTP Mandrel Hot Side, Greddy Profec e01.

Click to See my SRT
Click to see my Avenger
Mopar McNeer is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
SRTforums Member
 
blackbird_R/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The transaxle uses splash lubrication where the gear set spinning splashes fluid up into the case and into the feeder assembly that supplies the shafts. In an engine if you overfill it the spinning lower end rotating assembly can aerate the oil, which could then be drawn into the oil pump and the pressurized lubrication system. Aerated engine oil can cause a false pressure reading on a pressure gauge and doesn't protect bearings. This isn't as much an issue with ATF in the trans as it is designed for the gears to splash the fluid.

What could potentially be an issue due to overfilling both the engine crankcase and the transaxle would be leaks from seals due to the fluid level being too high. In the engine this can sometimes lead to rear main seal leaks and in the trans it could potential lead to a leaking axle seal. That's probably the biggest risk you run from overfilling but to be safe I'd still get the car on level ground and pull the fill plug so any excess fluid can drain out.

Eric H. - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2) - '04 SRT-4 (blk/stock)
'92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T --- -- '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
plus a couple other turbo Dodges, a Cobalt, a couple Focus, a wagon, and some other stuff...
blackbird_R/T is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM
2013 FF Pizza League Champion
 
ps2srt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So. Maryland
Posts: 10,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check this out too.
HOW-TO: Transmission Fluid Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
lol @ when he finds out someone else is slaying the poon!
ps2srt4 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
SRTforums Member
 
srT4URBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You will be ok. Unplug the rubber plug and let it drain out by itself, shouldnt be much at all.

Its modded
srT4URBO is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
SRTforums Member
 
KALVIN97GAGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T View Post
The transaxle uses splash lubrication where the gear set spinning splashes fluid up into the case and into the feeder assembly that supplies the shafts. In an engine if you overfill it the spinning lower end rotating assembly can aerate the oil, which could then be drawn into the oil pump and the pressurized lubrication system. Aerated engine oil can cause a false pressure reading on a pressure gauge and doesn't protect bearings. This isn't as much an issue with ATF in the trans as it is designed for the gears to splash the fluid.

What could potentially be an issue due to overfilling both the engine crankcase and the transaxle would be leaks from seals due to the fluid level being too high. In the engine this can sometimes lead to rear main seal leaks and in the trans it could potential lead to a leaking axle seal. That's probably the biggest risk you run from overfilling but to be safe I'd still get the car on level ground and pull the fill plug so any excess fluid can drain out.
Every response I have seen from you was perfect. Wish more posts were like this.

401whp/407tq AGP dbb 50t .63AR with all supporting mods
Sold after 7+ years of ownership
duster360=STILL the worst tuner on the site

New daily: 05 C55 AMG
KALVIN97GAGT is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
2013 FF Pizza League Champion
 
ps2srt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So. Maryland
Posts: 10,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha, that was a short response for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
lol @ when he finds out someone else is slaying the poon!
ps2srt4 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
bryan9097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: fargo, ga
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
alright, I filled mine up on jack stands and overfilled it. I have since drained it out. But what made me think about it was I found a leak on the bottom side of engine/tranny where they bolt together. Since I run motor oil in both I cant tell if it is engine oil or tranny. I have a new built engine from realtune (less than 50 miles) so the oil pan and rear main SHOULD be good. So my question is could it leak from around the input shaft? It didnt seem to be a bunch but enough to catch my attention.
bryan9097 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 AM
SRTforums Member
 
blackbird_R/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It could, but you'd really, really have to overfill that case to get the fluid level that high (I'd guesstimate in the 3-4 quart range). You might be able to pull the lower structural collar off which will expose the backside of the flex plate/flywheel assembly. It probably isn't going to give you much room to look around but you might be able to see if the leak is coming from the pan, the rear main, or up front and draining down the interior bell housing of the transaxle from the input shaft.

Also pay close attention to your turbo oil feed and drain lines as well as the valve cover gasket. The valve cover gasket especially can be notorious for leaking small amounts that run down the head and block and look like it may be coming from somewhere else.

Eric H. - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2) - '04 SRT-4 (blk/stock)
'92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T --- -- '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
plus a couple other turbo Dodges, a Cobalt, a couple Focus, a wagon, and some other stuff...
blackbird_R/T is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
SRTforums Member
 
Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALVIN97GAGT View Post
Every response I have seen from you was perfect. Wish more posts were like this.
x2. Every post he makes is extremely informative.

blackbird_R/T, FTW!

2005 PVK w/ GWA

• Built motor & Ported head
• Forward Motion E1 turbo
• LCR ported & polished manifold (Werks elbow mod)
• Tial 38mm wastegate
• FIC 1100cc injectors
• Werks modified Aeromotive 340 Stealth fuel pump
• Powered by: E-85

Tuned by Dave, aka Duster360
Shadow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome