Transmission Overfill? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84453
Default Transmission Overfill?

I put 3 quarts of atf fluid in the transmission and no problem at first... Today I see it leaking from somewhere on top of the transmission running down my the drain plug... Can this be an overfill... What do I do.. Help... Is it safe to drive.
RiotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33036

3 quarts is over full. you need to have the car sitting on level ground, the front not jacked up off the ground, or on ramps when you fill it. The trans holds 2.4-2.6 quarts. I would start by parking on level ground and removing the Fill Hole Plug to let the excess drain out to the proper level. When the fluid stops coming out of the fill hole, you are at the proper level. You are approximately 17% over full. thats like adding 6 quarts of oil to your engine, when it only should have 5 quarts in the sump.

Last edited by Hi N Mity; 07-22-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Hi N Mity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTFORUM Moderator

Member Number: 12791
Lifetime Premium Member

Fill it up till it comes out the fill hole, wait for it to stop, then put the plug back in.

Edit, what Hi N Mity said.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84453

Quote: Originally Posted by Hi N Mity View Post
3 quarts is over full. you need to have the car sitting on level ground, the front not jacked up off the ground, or on ramps when you fill it. The trans holds 2.4-2.6 quarts. I would start by parking on level ground and removing the Fill Hole Plug to let the excess drain out to the proper level. When the fluid stops coming out of the fill hole, you are at the proper level. You are approximately 17% over full. thats like adding 6 quarts of oil to your engine, when it only should have 5 quarts in the sump.

Will it ruin anything.... Last night I was driving it with overfill... Today I drained out all the excess....
RiotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33036

probably not for the short amount of time you had it overfilled
Hi N Mity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 13473
Lifetime Premium Member

You'll be fine.
AGP 50 Trim .48 A/R, Turbo666 DSP Tuned, DW 750 Injectors, Ported Intake w/ LFS 60mm, AGP Big FMIC, Crane #14 Cams & Cam Gears, ED 3" Exhaust w/ Ported Exhaust Housing/Manifold, Screamin Demon Coil, MSD Wires, DCR Oil Modifier, Perrin Fuel Rail, Walbro 255, AGP Returnline w/ Bottleneck fix and Fuel Pump Rewire, HKS SSQV, Tial 38mm WG, PTP Mandrel Hot Side, Greddy Profec e01.

Click to See my SRT
Click to see my Avenger
Mopar McNeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 5369

The transaxle uses splash lubrication where the gear set spinning splashes fluid up into the case and into the feeder assembly that supplies the shafts. In an engine if you overfill it the spinning lower end rotating assembly can aerate the oil, which could then be drawn into the oil pump and the pressurized lubrication system. Aerated engine oil can cause a false pressure reading on a pressure gauge and doesn't protect bearings. This isn't as much an issue with ATF in the trans as it is designed for the gears to splash the fluid.

What could potentially be an issue due to overfilling both the engine crankcase and the transaxle would be leaks from seals due to the fluid level being too high. In the engine this can sometimes lead to rear main seal leaks and in the trans it could potential lead to a leaking axle seal. That's probably the biggest risk you run from overfilling but to be safe I'd still get the car on level ground and pull the fill plug so any excess fluid can drain out.
blackbird_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
2013 FF Pizza League Champion

Member Number: 19538

Check this out too.
HOW-TO: Transmission Fluid Change

ps2srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37484

You will be ok. Unplug the rubber plug and let it drain out by itself, shouldnt be much at all.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3373

Quote: Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T View Post
The transaxle uses splash lubrication where the gear set spinning splashes fluid up into the case and into the feeder assembly that supplies the shafts. In an engine if you overfill it the spinning lower end rotating assembly can aerate the oil, which could then be drawn into the oil pump and the pressurized lubrication system. Aerated engine oil can cause a false pressure reading on a pressure gauge and doesn't protect bearings. This isn't as much an issue with ATF in the trans as it is designed for the gears to splash the fluid.

What could potentially be an issue due to overfilling both the engine crankcase and the transaxle would be leaks from seals due to the fluid level being too high. In the engine this can sometimes lead to rear main seal leaks and in the trans it could potential lead to a leaking axle seal. That's probably the biggest risk you run from overfilling but to be safe I'd still get the car on level ground and pull the fill plug so any excess fluid can drain out.

Every response I have seen from you was perfect. Wish more posts were like this.

New daily: 05 C55 AMG
KALVIN97GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
2013 FF Pizza League Champion

Member Number: 19538

Ha, that was a short response for him.

ps2srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 48384
Lifetime Premium Member

alright, I filled mine up on jack stands and overfilled it. I have since drained it out. But what made me think about it was I found a leak on the bottom side of engine/tranny where they bolt together. Since I run motor oil in both I cant tell if it is engine oil or tranny. I have a new built engine from realtune (less than 50 miles) so the oil pan and rear main SHOULD be good. So my question is could it leak from around the input shaft? It didnt seem to be a bunch but enough to catch my attention.
bryan9097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 5369

It could, but you'd really, really have to overfill that case to get the fluid level that high (I'd guesstimate in the 3-4 quart range). You might be able to pull the lower structural collar off which will expose the backside of the flex plate/flywheel assembly. It probably isn't going to give you much room to look around but you might be able to see if the leak is coming from the pan, the rear main, or up front and draining down the interior bell housing of the transaxle from the input shaft.

Also pay close attention to your turbo oil feed and drain lines as well as the valve cover gasket. The valve cover gasket especially can be notorious for leaking small amounts that run down the head and block and look like it may be coming from somewhere else.
blackbird_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86725

Quote: Originally Posted by KALVIN97GAGT View Post
Every response I have seen from you was perfect. Wish more posts were like this.

x2. Every post he makes is extremely informative.

blackbird_R/T, FTW!

Built motor & Ported head
Forward Motion E1 turbo
LCR ported & polished manifold (Werks elbow mod)
Tial 38mm wastegate
FIC 1100cc injectors
Werks modified Aeromotive 340 Stealth fuel pump