Sounds like I'm going over rumble strips - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8699
Default Sounds like I'm going over rumble strips

Okay - before I head back to the dealership, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

I took my car in because I was having some shifting issues (clutch pivot fork/throw-out bearing issues was my own diagnosis) along with a lot of creaks and clunks from my suspension.

The dealership concluded that I needed a new clutch and throw-out bearing and that I needed new struts and lower control arms in the front.

I gave them the okay to do the transmission work and I ordered all the parts to do the struts and control arms myself. I got the car back from the dealership yesterday.

As I'm driving home, I get a situation where it sounds and feels like I'm going over rumble strips under moderate acceleration. All in the front, specifically the driver's side... but that may be simply because that's where I'm sitting. The problem is most apparent in first gear from stop, but noticeable in higher gears if I give it a bunch of throttle.

Could this be a suspension issue (struts, control arms, bushings) that should be cleared up when I do that work? (I posted in this forum since the problem started after a clutch replacement) I don't want to do that work myself, have that not be the problem, then take it back to the dealership and have them say it was something I did. I plan on calling them tomorrow, but if anyone has some insight on this I would appreciate it.

I should note that I hadn't noticed even the slightest bit of this issue before taking it into the shop. It is a brand-new experience. I also still have my winter wheels and tires on the car (15-inch PT cruiser steelies) - but they've been on there for months and, again, I've never noticed anything like what I'm experiencing now.

Again, any thoughts or insights appreciated. Thanks!
DubleDex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 9691

Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing,that finally let go, due to the techs. spirited test drive.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by fivetoez View Post
Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing,that finally let go, due to the techs. spirited test drive.

That makes sense.

I'm friends with the service manager, but I don't think that means the techs don't invest some time in enjoying the vehicles.

Just add that to the list of things I have to fix on the car.

Quick question: Does a wheel bearing make sense if it's only happening during moderate acceleration, and not with easy acceleration or at cruising speeds? Although, I feel it a little if I get on the gas kinda hard at highway speeds.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 35983

An axle that is not not completely pushed in all the way will cause this, as well as I just replaced a new a with another due to the axle shaking under acceleration.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by orangescreon View Post
An axle that is not not completely pushed in all the way will cause this, as well as I just replaced a new a with another due to the axle shaking under acceleration.

Is this something that could be a result of someone not doing the transmission work properly? (I'm not 100% sure what goes into a clutch replacement, but I thought that dropping the transmission required removing the axles).

I'm concerned that, if this is the result of bad or sloppy work, that the shop won't take care of it because I'm going to do some suspension and lower control arm work myself before I have a chance to get the car back to them.

Although, I have talked to the service manager since to let him know of the issue. So they know it was happening before I did the work.

It kinda sucks that I'm basically putting a third of the value of the car into just making it run right again! But, I plan on basically running this car into the ground ... and it's still cheaper than a new car!

Thanks for the input, guys!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

could be. The axles do have to come when putting that stuff in. A number of different things could have happened though. Axle not pushed all the way in. knuckle seperated while they were being pulled out, weight fell off at some point, axle nut not being tightened all the way. You can never be sure unless you either do all the work yourself, or watch it being done and know what you are looking for.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

The car is in the shop getting aligned (after I did the struts and lowering springs) and I'm having them check the cv joints/axles and the wheel bearings.

If it's a wheel bearing, then the shop gets to do the work. If it's the half shaft, then I'll be replacing both those myself (that way I'll know exactly what work was done and how).

I should note that we did check the axles when I did the struts, and they were pushed in all the way (in fact, one popped out while doing the strut and lower control arm work, so that one got pushed back in all the way for sure).

I've got 76k miles on my car, so I figure redoing the half shafts probably isn't a bad idea at this point anyway.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I know that nobody was anxiously watching this thread for an update - but I'll update it anyway just in case.

After getting it aligned, the shop told me that they triple checked everything and the half shafts and wheel bearings and everything down there was tight, with no issues.

Except, when I got it back, it still had the wheel hop issue. So, this past Saturday I replaced the half shafts (pretty straightforward job - not too tough, especially after having done LCAs and struts!). As of this morning, the wheel hop is gone and the issue seems to be fixed.

Thanks everyone for all your insight, it really helped me figure out what I needed to try and do to get this issue sorted out.

I've been a member of the forum for a long time (and I've had my SRT4 for a long time) but I've never really had to rely on it for help like this. And you guys really come through!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Glad you got it fixed buddy