Push Rod Issue quick fix!!! - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 42356
Default Push Rod Issue quick fix!!!

For those of you out there that broke ur push rod and are running into issues getting a stronger one or getting the clutch pivot arm upgrade I have found a cheap solution.

I bent and snapped my push rod, so i decided i was going to go with the dcr billet push rod since only one company makes the clutch pivot upgrade (Rage-Tek) and you to have wait for it. Well I wanted my car fixed over the weekend and the DCR push rod wasnt going to be in till tuesday, so I went to advanced auto and purchased a clutch master cylinder for a 1988 Ford F350 Diesel. I took it home and pulled it apart so that I had just the push rod (its about 1.5 inches too long). I measured the F350 push rod to the srt push rod assembly and marked it on the push rod. Then I cut the F350 push rod so it matched the stock push rod. I then installed the F350 push rod with 2 washer and a E clip.

The F350 push rod is waaasssyyy thicker then the srt4 push rod, I have had it in my car so far for 2 weeks without any issues. I ran it at the track on sunday and again no issues. Seems to be holding up great. Whenever I get a chance I will post pictures so you know what im talking about.

Low 11's maybe high 10's soon!!
jthomas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 52191

hmmm..might use this for future reference...the DCR still didnt arrive yet?? please post pics though...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by n9inety9problemz View Post
hmmm..might use this for future reference...the DCR still didnt arrive yet?? please post pics though...

it got here yesterday, I will post pics up tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 53075

in for pics, ive already broken 2 pushrods
illstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

just got home its 3am, I will post pics when i wake up in the morning. I dont have pics of the install but i can post pics of it installed.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTForums Member
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 3397

How much was the F350 assembly though?

I ordered the DCR push rod and paid for 2 day shipping.... (got a tracking # same day) so it should be here tomorrow.

I was just about to make my own thread on it and ask if it's as simple as pulling what is left of my broken one out and pushing the new one in.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 30007

Quote: Originally Posted by LowNSlowNeon View Post
How much was the F350 assembly though?

I ordered the DCR push rod and paid for 2 day shipping.... (got a tracking # same day) so it should be here tomorrow.

I was just about to make my own thread on it and ask if it's as simple as pulling what is left of my broken one out and pushing the new one in.

Please let us know. my srt has been sitting for 2 days now. I am done with this car. Going up for sale as soon as this is fixxed
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by LiFeGuArDrOb View Post
Please let us know. my srt has been sitting for 2 days now. I am done with this car. Going up for sale as soon as this is fixxed

The F350 assembly is $51 at advance auto and they carry the assembly, as for installing the DCR part its not as simple as just pulling ur old one out and pushing the dcr one in.

Here is the how to from DCR:

Remove the screw retaining the stock O.E. pushrod to clutch pedal. Take a small pick or screw driver to remove dust seal for pushrod at the master cylinder. Once the dust seal is removed, take small internal snap ring pliers and remove snap ring from master cylinder. Gently pull on O.E. push rod to slightly expose master cylinder plunger, be careful not to pull out any more than a from master cylinder to retain the fluid in the master cylinder. You just want enough exposed to gain access to metal retaining clip that attaches O.E. pushrod into plastic master cylinder piston. Once the retaining clip is slightly exposed, take 2 small screw drivers and wedge between plastic piston and metal retaining clip to remove metal retaining clip, Which removes the O.E. pushrod from piston. Push piston back into the slave cylinder to the point where you can reinstall the snap ring. Place the O.E. dust seal back into master cylinder and it can be pressed in by fingers. Now install DCR Clutch Pedal Pushrod right through dust seal into piston and attach to clutch pedal and adjust as necessary. Due to the size of the DCR Clutch Pedal Pushrod there is no room and no need for the retaining clip as the clutch pedal will keep it in place. The O.E. retaining clip is just for assembly line simplicity to keep pushrod into place.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Thank-you sir! Running to auto-parts store to just take the rod lol perks of buddies being managers there =]

You said washer and e-clips though, where at?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 30934

Hit up the junk yard screw paying $51 for it. Any year ford is guaranteed to be in the junk yard. LOL!
381hp 336tq @ 14psi
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Maeda Path Champion

Member Number: 54658
Lifetime Premium Member

pics?

New England SRT Owners Club Association
www.nesrtoc.com
100,000 mile club

Quote: Originally Posted by turbo666 View Post
I would still rather have AIDS then a LT1. I wouldn't care if your car went low 6's on pump in the 1/4 bone stock with a Tornado.

stage3matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Gringo3825 View Post
Hit up the junk yard screw paying $51 for it. Any year ford is guaranteed to be in the junk yard. LOL!

Are You high? This car has made me hate chrysler more than ever. Chrysler newer cars > Ford all years in junk yard around here.

But foreal, back on topic, any pictures of your fix or even crude drawwings would be awesome. Thanks again for the idea and info
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 67838
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by jthomas123 View Post
For those of you out there that broke ur push rod and are running into issues getting a stronger one or getting the clutch pivot arm upgrade I have found a cheap solution.

I bent and snapped my push rod, so i decided i was going to go with the dcr billet push rod since only one company makes the clutch pivot upgrade (Rage-Tek) and you to have wait for it. Well I wanted my car fixed over the weekend and the DCR push rod wasnt going to be in till tuesday, so I went to advanced auto and purchased a clutch master cylinder for a 1988 Ford F350 Diesel. I took it home and pulled it apart so that I had just the push rod (its about 1.5 inches too long). I measured the F350 push rod to the srt push rod assembly and marked it on the push rod. Then I cut the F350 push rod so it matched the stock push rod. I then installed the F350 push rod with 2 washer and a E clip.

The F350 push rod is waaasssyyy thicker then the srt4 push rod, I have had it in my car so far for 2 weeks without any issues. I ran it at the track on sunday and again no issues. Seems to be holding up great. Whenever I get a chance I will post pictures so you know what im talking about.

Hey man do you have a part number for this! I need it asap!

Look what i did today!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 38267
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by rector07 View Post
Hey man do you have a part number for this! I need it asap!

Look what i did today!!!

Part No. 39894

Advance Auto Parts: TECHnovation Clutch Master Cylinder by Perfection Clutch - Part 39894

2012 MPx SRT4 Racing and Event schedule:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f77/...2012-a-627265/

Get your fix of SRT-4 racing here : www.WindspeedMotorsports.com
1LAPSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 67838
Lifetime Premium Member

Thank you man!!!