My car has gone into protest - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80026
Default My car has gone into protest

So, here's the deal; my car was working fine when we parked it. I cam back to it about 4 hours later, started the car, and let up on the clutch. As soon as I engaged the clutch in neutral, the car stalls out. I start it up again, switch it to reverse, and try reving it up before I engage reverse; still stalls out. This car will not move in any gear. I can't even turn the car off, put down the e-brake, leave the tranny in neutral, and push it. Well, atleast I couldn't before. I'd push it, and the car would just dig in like the e-brake was up, or I left it in gear. Now that I've played with the clutch pedal, trying out of frustration to get this thing to do SOMETHING properly, I can now push the car with the help of two strong friends. The crazy thing is the fact that when we push it, even though the key is NOT in the ignition, the motor tries to turn over. Almost like I'm trying to push start the motor. W.T.F.
Caprico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80507

What are your mods on the car, and what did you do when you parked it?
srt42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Member Number: 76531
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Caprico View Post
So, here's the deal; my car was working fine when we parked it. I cam back to it about 4 hours later, started the car, and let up on the clutch. As soon as I engaged the clutch in neutral, the car stalls out. I start it up again, switch it to reverse, and try reving it up before I engage reverse; still stalls out. This car will not move in any gear. I can't even turn the car off, put down the e-brake, leave the tranny in neutral, and push it. Well, atleast I couldn't before. I'd push it, and the car would just dig in like the e-brake was up, or I left it in gear. Now that I've played with the clutch pedal, trying out of frustration to get this thing to do SOMETHING properly, I can now push the car with the help of two strong friends. The crazy thing is the fact that when we push it, even though the key is NOT in the ignition, the motor tries to turn over. Almost like I'm trying to push start the motor. W.T.F.

sounds like its stuck in gear. check ur clutch pivot peice and make sure it didnt snap. then take the access port on the tranny and see if u can see wether the tob and pp look ok. "i can usually wiggle a camera down there and get a half decent picture. but if u put it in neutral and it turn over like its in gear then u my have a shiftselector or something worse going on. wish i could be more help
12.8 @108. 312hp/371trq on 93 pump gas. E1 turbo, FM manifold, FM intercooler, FM wastegate.
DynoTuned by Nigel, El Ralfo Racing driver

Last edited by Dragoncustompc; 12-22-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Dragoncustompc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31159

it's stuck in gear. either your shift selector took a shit or you lost/tore up 1 or more of the bushings for the shifter cables (there's 4... 2 on the trans, 2 on the shifter)

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
Sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
SRTotM Moderator

Member Number: 76531
Lifetime Premium Member

i had the cclip that holds the shifter cable in place on the bracket pop off once before and i couldnt shift it outta third. no matter what it stayed in third. so hopefully it something like bushings or a clip and not anything major
12.8 @108. 312hp/371trq on 93 pump gas. E1 turbo, FM manifold, FM intercooler, FM wastegate.
DynoTuned by Nigel, El Ralfo Racing driver
Dragoncustompc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by srt42010 View Post
What are your mods on the car, and what did you do when you parked it?

It's a stock transmission, same goes for the clutch. Damn you mopar. -__-
Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoncustompc View Post
sounds like its stuck in gear. check ur clutch pivot peice and make sure it didnt snap. then take the access port on the tranny and see if u can see wether the tob and pp look ok. "i can usually wiggle a camera down there and get a half decent picture. but if u put it in neutral and it turn over like its in gear then u my have a shiftselector or something worse going on. wish i could be more help

You see, the bigger issue is that my car is currently four hours away at the moment. Still sitting in it's death bed. Being that I'm broke as hell, I haven't been able to get it worked on. I was actually hoping I could either do the work myself, or figure out wth is going on with it so I can have someone else take care of the problem for me later on down the road. But yes, when I finally got it unstuck and tried to push it further down the driveway so my friend could actually park his car, the motor kept kicking like it was about to turn over. This is depressing. >.<
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Sota View Post
it's stuck in gear. either your shift selector took a shit or you lost/tore up 1 or more of the bushings for the shifter cables (there's 4... 2 on the trans, 2 on the shifter)

If it were stuck in gear, would I still be able to change gears with the shifter? Because I tried every gear (1,2,3,4,5,R), and it still stalls out as soon as I let off of the clutch, noo matter what I rev it up to.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by srt42010 View Post
...and what did you do when you parked it?

Oh, to answer that question; I left it in neutral and turned the car off. Nothing unusual. The car was actually driving better than ever before I parked it. I had just cleaned out the intake system with some Seafoam. Or however you spell it. You think I might have messed something up in the process? Because I'm certified to service intakes and stuff like that. I'm pretty familiar with the procedures and precautions. I mean, the motor runs fine as long as I've got my foot down on the clutch.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoncustompc View Post
i had the cclip that holds the shifter cable in place on the bracket pop off once before and i couldnt shift it outta third. no matter what it stayed in third. so hopefully it something like bushings or a clip and not anything major

I sincerely hope it's something that simple and inexpensive. I've got so many other expenses. -.-
Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

If it were stuck in gear, would I still be able to change gears with the shifter? Because I tried every gear (1,2,3,4,5,R), and it still stalls out as soon as I let off of the clutch, noo matter what I rev it up to.

if your (apparently) burly friends can push the car and it feels like the motor is rotating over then it's stuck in gear. when you let the clutch out after starting it does it move at all? buck just a bit?

as for it being 4 hours away, that kind of makes it hard to figure out what's wrong eh?

"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77303

Just had one in the shop that was doing exactly this. Turns out the shifter cable popped off at the trans and the car was STUCK IN GEAR. We then continued to inspect, NO tranny fluid AT ALL, Found a crack in the front of the trans case..... leaked out all fluid............caused trans to lock-up and caused the shifter cable to pop off when too much force was applied trying to get it into/out of gear. PS: this was ALL 100% stock trans / bushings / and shifter
System_Crash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Sota View Post
if your (apparently) burly friends can push the car and it feels like the motor is rotating over then it's stuck in gear. when you let the clutch out after starting it does it move at all? buck just a bit?

as for it being 4 hours away, that kind of makes it hard to figure out what's wrong eh?

My "Burly friends" Would include me, my mother, and my friend who's in the military. It didn't take much force after I had played with the clutch peddle out of frustration. And yes, the car lurches a little as if you engaged the clutch without reving the motor.
And hell yes the distance makes this a difficult situation. My luck would only allow such a thing, though.

I got the car to allow us to push it after I decided to rev the motor and push down on the clutch, let off of the clutch, push down on the clutch. Every time I would be about to engage the clutch, the motor would start to stall out, and I'd push back down on it. The car would then move forward about a half an inch. I gave up after a while and turned the motor off, took the keys out, and started to push the car down the drive way out of exasperation. Noticing that it was actually moving for once, I told my friend to come and help me, my mom followed, and as we pushed the car forward (no key and in neutral) the motor tried to turn over repeatedly. Can I just kick this thing in the teeth and be done with it?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by System_Crash View Post
Just had one in the shop that was doing exactly this. Turns out the shifter cable popped off at the trans and the car was STUCK IN GEAR. We then continued to inspect, NO tranny fluid AT ALL, Found a crack in the front of the trans case..... leaked out all fluid............caused trans to lock-up and caused the shifter cable to pop off when too much force was applied trying to get it into/out of gear. PS: this was ALL 100% stock trans / bushings / and shifter

Well, it IS comforting that you had the same issues, but the transmission fluid on mine is full. I checked all of the linkages that I could see through our tightly mended engine bay, and all seemed well enough. I inspected all of what I could see of the transmission, and no cracks. Is there a difference between a linkage and a shifter cable? I'm not a certified mechanic just yet, so I'm not 100% sure. Help?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

seriously, the description you just wrote... IT'S STUCK IN GEAR. probably 3rd, 4th or 5th. if you slipped the clutch enough I'd guarantee you'd get it moving, albet you'd probably destroy the clutch in the process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement