Dodge SRT Forum banner

Intermittent Grinding

969 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MoparDan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my 2005 SRT-4 has an intermittent grinding noise when trying to shift. When it happens, it occurs trying to put it in 1st gear from a stop and trying to go into 5th gear. If I keep pressure on the shifter and let off the clutch slowly not giving it any gas, it'll click into 1st gear and not try to pop out. Going into 5th, it'll grind and not want to engage at first. Once it engages, it won't fully engage. I have to hold the shifter to keep it from popping out. It wants to pop out and grind quite a bit. But as I said earlier, this problem is intermittent. Some days it will shift no problem and every gear is fine. When I get the problem it always affects both 1st and 5th gear. Within the last 500 miles I've replaced the 2nd gear synchro (a separate issue from when I bought the car), the differential, both axles, clutch, pivot ball, clutch fork, and shifter bushings. I'm using ATF+4 fluid. Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be or what else to look at?

#3 ·
I did try adjusting the pedal. I brought it up so it engages higher off the floor and that didn't seem to change anything. For what it's worth I tried that before replacing the pivot ball and clutch fork. I haven't bled the system or replaced the slave or master cylinder. The pedal doesn't feel soft, so my initial thought was there wasn't air in it. I can bleed it this weekend and find out for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.