LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
inner cv boot, whats wrong?

i was changing out my lca bushings last night (what a bitch it was) and when i got to the passenger side, i had to stretch the inner cv boot really far to get the arm to pivot back in place. the axel might have popped out because the boot would not go back in! it was preventing me front getting the horizontal bushing in place.

well with some tinkering and some bullying, it went back in and immediately and started leaking yellowish lube or grease i suppose and sounded like air was escaping as i compressed the boot.

what happened? and what do i do?

i wiped all the fluid off and went for a drive, and it leaked again i think.

PTE 5431 on 26 psi tuned by Eric Raymond at Integrated Auto!
387/381 on pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
User Banned

where'd my post go

I just posted an answer for you with photos - where'd it go?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
I just posted an answer for you with photos - where'd it go?
idk. haha??

387/381 on pump
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
User Banned

photos of install available

Myself and others have posted photos and video showing you don't have to remove the CV joint to install the new front c-arm bushings. The sole purpose of my photos are to prevent headaches and wasting money and time.

Now your torn boot (the boots get dry and brittle) is allowing the CV bearing race to eject it's grease. The bearings will start to wear, heat up, get "pitted" and the thing will start clicking - the "death sound" of CV failure. So better get a new boot and grease kit - modernperformance has one. But fix it pronto - quick. If the CV fails, you'll be instantly stranded, no limp mode, no nothing. Tow truck time.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Myself and others have posted photos and video showing you don't have to remove the CV joint to install the new front c-arm bushings. The sole purpose of my photos are to prevent headaches and wasting money and time.

Now your torn boot (the boots get dry and brittle) is allowing the CV bearing race to eject it's grease. The bearings will start to wear, heat up, get "pitted" and the thing will start clicking - the "death sound" of CV failure. So better get a new boot and grease kit - modernperformance has one. But fix it pronto - quick. If the CV fails, you'll be instantly stranded, no limp mode, no nothing. Tow truck time.

yep. my boot is more than likely torn. but i didnt remove the cv joint. the control arms are easier out than back in, esp with solid bushings installed. i had to work the passenger side in (stretching the cv joint and wiggling and what not) and it tore as i tried to get the joint back in to place.

387/381 on pump
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM
User Banned

torn boots have to be fixed

No matter what, and I'm not blaming or critisizing of course (I dont' do that) a damaged CV boot has to be fixed.

In the photo, the tab bent down slightly, I should have explained is a way to make removing and re-installing the front c-arm much easier.

Anytime you start a project on your SRT4, search the board for photos, video links and how-to's. Nothing new under the sun around here..........
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

Quote:
No matter what, and I'm not blaming or critisizing of course (I dont' do that) a damaged CV boot has to be fixed.

In the photo, the tab bent down slightly, I should have explained is a way to make removing and re-installing the front c-arm much easier.

Anytime you start a project on your SRT4, search the board for photos, video links and how-to's. Nothing new under the sun around here..........
the vertical ones were a bitch to line up, and mine were bent just like yours. haha but nonetheless. its done and installed and im happy with the install. just created one problem while doing it. can you tell me what type of fluid was leaking from the boot once i popped it back in? i thought it was trans but not sure. thats the stuff that keeps coming out as of now. it was not the black grease yet. and i could hear air escaping when i compressed it. for sure a tear i assume?

387/381 on pump
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
User Banned

nothing on mine was bent...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTG View Post
the vertical ones were a bitch to line up, and mine were bent just like yours. haha but nonetheless. its done and installed and im happy with the install. just created one problem while doing it. can you tell me what type of fluid was leaking from the boot once i popped it back in? i thought it was trans but not sure. thats the stuff that keeps coming out as of now. it was not the black grease yet. and i could hear air escaping when i compressed it. for sure a tear i assume?
We bent down those tabs deliberately, but no matter.
Did you damage the inner seal at the transmission? There is thick grease in the CV joint/bearing assembly, but a liquid fluid would come out of the tranny.
This is where a photo would be useful.

I would hold off on driving the car. We may need some of the tranny rebuild gurus here.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

as the boot stretched, it seems something inside the boot came out of place, idk if that is possible. but that is what it seems because the boot would not compress again until i did much playing with it and it finally went back in. thats when the fluid started leaking from the boot...or what it seemed like. i do not know if i damaged anything at the transmission by tugging on the rotor and what not. but the fluid is present. im gonna go snap some pics.

still confused about the noise as i compress the boot?

387/381 on pump
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

snapped a bunch of pics, not really sure what exactly i was looking for so i took some of everywhere in the trouble area. it was a very difficult to inspect the boot. but it did have some of the fluid on it again, and the picture of my finger is showing you all the color of the stuff that came out or off of the boot. a table spoon at least came out. motor oil? trans fluid (royal purple btw is what i run)

idk, what do you guys think? when it leaked that fluid it was really really sketchy. idk what happened and idk what is wrong if anything.

387/381 on pump
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
HTG
SRTforums Member

leftover oil from my previous oil pan leak? trans fluid? idk im considering anything lol someone shed some light and give me piece of mind

387/381 on pump
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
SRTforums Member

Dude, one year later and nobody knew? What did you do to fix it? I have that grease/liquid too but on the driver side...pretty sure it is cv grease. I sure would like to know what you did next! I plan on replaceing that boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode