If u have problems with your southbend clutch - Page 2 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 25854

Also, forgot to mention. To be fair to South Bend.... When they fix your clutch, please post up here and goats srt can mark next to your name on the list that they have fixed your clutch.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 25488

This is pretty wierd. I've been running my south bend clutch for over 4k miles now with no issues at all. Hope you guys get your issues resolved, that sucks!

Stage 3R powered
Sold but not forgotten!
manic_mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 52296

My car shakes like hell but it because of my mounts, and not having a balance shaft chain. Good luck to you guys that are having the issues.
2005 SRT-4 Commemorative Edition #88/200 - 410 hp 26lbs.... Sold
2004 Mystichrome Cobra....sold
2008 Caliber SRT-4.... Let the modding begin
05commemorative88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 43460

Southbend= Failzzz we get guys in the shop with all types of vibration problem due to unbalanced clutches... Too bad they are not on the boards so you can update your list...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 4573

I've been running mine for almost a year with no problems. Now I will admit it had some vibration to it right after the install. After the 400 mile ride home it went away. Now the only vibs I get are from no balance shaft and solid mounts.

Also it is hard to quantify the term "horrible vibration" on a internet forum. To some if it does not run as smooth as silk it is unbearable. Just like how some people think the stock exhaust is to loud.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by srtowner View Post
I've been running mine for almost a year with no problems. Now I will admit it had some vibration to it right after the install. After the 400 mile ride home it went away. Now the only vibs I get are from no balance shaft and solid mounts.

Also it is hard to quantify the term "horrible vibration" on a internet forum. To some if it does not run as smooth as silk it is unbearable. Just like how some people think the stock exhaust is to loud.

That's true. But I can't really understand why there should be any extra vibration compared to a stock clutch. I can understand some chatter on engagement, but not while in gear and in neutral. That's just a bad balancing job....
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 42762

The thing that upsets me is that SBC does not disclose the buyer toward the fact that their clutches are missing a vital centering piece PURPOSELY. This would have saved me over $800 in labor charges had this been disclosed properly.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 46647
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
The thing that upsets me is that SBC does not disclose the buyer toward the fact that their clutches are missing a vital centering piece PURPOSELY. This would have saved me over $800 in labor charges had this been disclosed properly.

Please explain.
Philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 55027

I've had my SBC in for 1300miles now no vibrations! only slight vibration i get is at idle with my Solid motor mounts! thats all! when i first put it in it was vibrating alot but then after 300-500 miles it went away completly! Very nice Clutch!! i still would recommend it to everyone!
PK's 04 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by PK's 04 SRT View Post
I've had my SBC in for 1300miles now no vibrations! only slight vibration i get is at idle with my Solid motor mounts! thats all! when i first put it in it was vibrating alot but then after 300-500 miles it went away completly! Very nice Clutch!! i still would recommend it to everyone!

strange... was it vibrating between 1500 - 2500 rpm, in gear and out of gear?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

While I have no vibrations...I have the 5x non-modular and it slipped the first time out at the track WOT shifting. To this day it still slips when my car is in HOM and WOT shifting. I can granny shift in HOM going WOT and it's fine. I can also WOT shift while OFF of HOM and it's fine.

I just spoke with SBC and they want me to send it back so "they can tweak it for maximum clamp load". Thing is my car will be down this whole time. Fuck that.

My biggest thing is this: Stage 5 and 5x have a 6-puck feramic disc. Stage 4 has a full face feramic disc. How in the hell is a Stage 5/5x supposed to hold more power if it's the same material? Coefficient of drag is the same between Stage 4 and 5 because the material is the same. IMO, Stage 4 will hold more power period because there is more surface area. Cooling wise, Stage 5 will have the advantage but thats it.

There is no way my car will just sit for weeks while SBC "tweaks" my pressure plate just to see that this clutch MIGHT hold up on a WOT shift.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by phrozen View Post
strange... was it vibrating between 1500 - 2500 rpm, in gear and out of gear?

Thats the same vibration a local was getting here with his Stage 5 non-modular.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Philth View Post
While I have no vibrations...I have the 5x non-modular and it slipped the first time out at the track WOT shifting. To this day it still slips when my car is in HOM and WOT shifting. I can granny shift in HOM going WOT and it's fine. I can also WOT shift while OFF of HOM and it's fine.

I just spoke with SBC and they want me to send it back so "they can tweak it for maximum clamp load". Thing is my car will be down this whole time. Fuck that.

My biggest thing is this: Stage 5 and 5x have a 6-puck feramic disc. Stage 4 has a full face feramic disc. How in the hell is a Stage 5/5x supposed to hold more power if it's the same material? Coefficient of drag is the same between Stage 4 and 5 because the material is the same. IMO, Stage 4 will hold more power period because there is more surface area. Cooling wise, Stage 5 will have the advantage but thats it.

There is no way my car will just sit for weeks while SBC "tweaks" my pressure plate just to see that this clutch MIGHT hold up on a WOT shift.

Well, you might want it to slip a little bit during a WOT shift.... You have a WOT Box, right?

A little slip during the WOT shift will probably help to protect your input shaft from being sheared off from the force of the WOT shift... I think people that have really aggressive clutches that don't slip a small amount during a WOT Shift end up having problems with their input shafts. That's my 2 cents on the matter....

Also, here's the info from South Bend on their clutches and stages... Ack, can't link to it. Click on this link:
South Bend Clutch - DXD High Performance Clutches

then click on "info" on the top navigation bar.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Phrozen - it completely fails when slipping. I didn't emphasize that. Sorry.

Example: I shift into 2nd. RPM's jump to 6500 and bang off the rev limiter while the speedo is hovering around 35-40mph.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I also just fired them off an e-mail. I'm pissed I spent $1000 on a non mod set up that didn't perform correctly one single time at the track. They want me to tear my car down and have it sit while I ship the clutch back to them to "look" at it.

Completely unacceptable. I also notified them on the topic of this thread and vibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement