Fixed 3rd gear problem, now what is this? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 82978
Default Fixed 3rd gear problem, now what is this?

So I just recently had a 3rd gear issue. 3rd gear would block me out and not let me enter on upshiting , downshifting was fine. I pulled the internals of the trans, replaced the 3/4 shift fork, and now the car pops out of 1(sometime, as i release the clutch and give gas i can feel it start to come out, sometimes it does/doesnt), 3(almost everytime now, just scared to shit into 3rd) , and sometime feels like it wants to come out of 4th. Can someone please enlighten me on why this is happening. Also did the crossover adjustment after everything was reassembled.
mmawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Meat Moderator

Member Number: 76568

Sounds like maybe it wasnt put together correctly.
tunerlover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by tunerlover3 View Post
Sounds like maybe it wasnt put together correctly.

Thats what im thinking also, but I watched
to make sure I put everything back correctly. Only thing that seemed weird was the 2nd gear that goes on (speed gear) was not moving as freely as show in his video it has some resistance. Might have to pull out and just check, dont want to fuck the trans.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Just an update, fixed the problem a while ago, the snap rings were not seated all the way on. The larger ones after you put the trans case back on. So I been driving it for almost a month now. While upshifting it still blocks me out on occasion, sometime will go in smooth, and sometimes it feels a little gritty when putting it into 3rd. No pop out or grinds. Any advice on what to do to completly get rid of the 3rd gear block and gritty feeling? Would it be the synchro, they looked good when I pulled out..... Also Just to say if I did replace the synchro what would stop the 3rd gear issues to stop occuring?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88776

i would recommend to check the synchro,tob,and clutch fork (cause for shitty shifting). but start with the easy stuff, like the slave cyclinder (happend to me, was not engaging the clutch properly), master cylinder, clutch pedal adjustments, and crossover adjustments.
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
i would recommend to check the synchro,tob,and clutch fork (cause for shitty shifting). but start with the easy stuff, like the slave cyclinder (happend to me, was not engaging the clutch properly), master cylinder, clutch pedal adjustments, and crossover adjustments.

Yeah I checked the synchro(there is a post with pictures of everything on input shaft) dud the crossover adjustment. The pedal adjustment- bolt is as close to steering wheel, clutch engages lower than the brake pedal (normal?) master cylinder not sure also with slave not sure.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 63759

Could be a lot of things causing the poor engagement. I'm not a trans expert so someone smarter please correct me. It can be anything from worn TOB/fork, worn or bad synchros, excessively worn shift selector/shift fork, worn or bad input/output shaft bearings (causes drag on the gear set), bad hydraulics in the master to slave (pressure leak/air will cause bad disengagement). Even though the synchro looked good there is a whole assembly, not just a single part. They all have to be in good health to work properly.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 84793

Did you do the gear extender? I did mine and solved 3rd gear pop out, but it also made 3rd gear feel gritty. But I also need a clutch, master/slave, tob, tob fork, steel master/slave lines, and everything else that normally needs to be replaced done since this tranny has had nothing but fluid changes in almost 70k miles...

Coming Soon: Stage 2, maybe Meth & Borg Warner
Ghost Hacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost Hacks View Post
Did you do the gear extender? I did mine and solved 3rd gear pop out, but it also made 3rd gear feel gritty. But I also need a clutch, master/slave, tob, tob fork, steel master/slave lines, and everything else that normally needs to be replaced done since this tranny has had nothing but fluid changes in almost 70k miles...

No extender, do have pop out issues at all just blockes me out on occasion and feels werid going into 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement