Dodge SRT Forum banner

Doing a timing belt change possibly. What else should be done?

609 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dodgezdad 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting my timing belt & water pump done soon and I wanted to know what else I should change while the trans is out.

1. I was thinking of fixing 3rd gear (it grinds and pops out sometimes).

2. Replacing the OEM clutch with an OEM clutch.

3. Replacing AGP Forged Clutch Fork 03-05 SRT4 since I broke and repaired my shit selector last year.

4. Throw out bearing?

5. Add a 3rd gear extender?

Any other bearings or pieces I'm missing?

#3 ·
why is the trans coming out to change the timing belt :S? Unless you're pulling the engine?

I would change the tensioner and idler pulley for sure, and possibly the oil pump if you feel up to it since they aren't expensive and easy to do once everything is off.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a few issues with my car at the moment...

Rear driver side strut location is knocking REALLY hard against the body panel. I think it's the strut, but I'm not a mechanic. Others believe it's the top end of the strut, since the strut didn't fail yet.

I have a very weird noise coming from the timing belt side of the engine and the car is do for a timing belt change anyway. It's original. No major service has been performed on the car to this date. It was looked at by someone who wasn't 100% sure what it was, but I agree it should be changed anyway due to the age of the car.

I have a serious engine clanking (not traditional knocking) when the car warms up. It's still being determined what it is. No one has a guess as to what it is.

I'm also having issues where I can't down shift to third or it pops out when I try to put the gear in...Or, it grinds if I try to force it. Sometimes....not always. I guess that's why the tranny is coming out? To fix the known 3rd gear grind we all seem to have.

I'll have all the pulley's done. I was told that'd be done when it's out.

I figured I'd do the clutch on it since it's going to be out as well...

That sums up the only repairs I need for the car.

#5 ·
You certainly are being bent over by the shops you go to because you don't need to touch the transmission to change the timing belt, or they have no idea what they're talking about

I would either find a local that knows srt-4s or take it to a dealer, because it seems like they are trying to rip you off.

#7 ·
If you need to do both jobs at once (not a bad idea) just pull the whole engine and transaxle out it will save you a lot of time

#8 ·
I'm not actually doing the repair myself. I'm wondering what parts I can bring to the guy I know (who's VERY knowledgeable with SRT's as a mechanic) to save some money.

I saw on modern performance a shift fork, clutch, and I think they sell the tranny pivot ball? Should I buy what I can from MP? I don't want cheap parts that'll last for a year or two and I don't want to go overboard with getting high performance shocks or whatever :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.