Clanking noise and hard to shift, any answers? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91422
Default Clanking noise and hard to shift, any answers?

I have a 04 SRT-4 basically stock, I have a question about a clanking noise coming from my clutch/transmission area while in idle and difficulty getting it into any gear. Also when I do drive at any speed in any gear I hear a banging noise like metal on metal, I have stopped driving it completly. I just replaced my clutch with a centerforce dual friction clutch, also changed the master cylinder, the clutch slave and release bearing. I tryed adjusting the clutch but that did not help, does anyone know how to fix this or what parts I need? Please help, Thank you.

Last edited by tkl439; 11-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.
tkl439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 83439

how many miles do you have and did you replace the clutch fork
Billy172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Thank you for responding. I just made 50,000 miles, and did not replace the clutch fork. I have been reading tons of posts and just bought a factory clutch fork, a boomba pivot ball and a brute force release bearing. I think I got what I need, did I miss any other crucial parts?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 83439

sounds like you have everything. the fork is what wears the most and makes it hard to shift.most high performance clutches well make that clanking noise at idle
Billy172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

So after replacing the parts I bought, will the clanking noise still be there in the after market clutch or should it be back to normal?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I got a hold of one of our forum members out here in Hawaii, he has three srt4 and is going to take out my clutch and tranny. I am going to put a modified clutch fork from wikyd-performance and a boomba pivot ball. Does anyone know of any other parts that normally wear out that I should replace while the tranny is dropped? Tranaxle seals, input shaft bearing?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Vendor

Member Number: 37310

Quote: Originally Posted by tkl439 View Post
I got a hold of one of our forum members out here in Hawaii, he has three srt4 and is going to take out my clutch and tranny. I am going to put a modified clutch fork from wikyd-performance and a boomba pivot ball. Does anyone know of any other parts that normally wear out that I should replace while the tranny is dropped? Tranaxle seals, input shaft bearing?

Either from our site or you can pm me directly for the fork. I was texted about you needing one earlier.
Wonderer876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Hey Wonderer876, Thank you for sending that fork out so quick, it came in the mail just as we were dropping the tranny. It works great, perfect fit.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87361

Not to hijack a thread, but ty for posting this similar questions, so it is normal for it to make a slight clacking noise when you release the clutch at idle? Running act six puck.

Rockin' Rage Tek Parts & Tune FTMFW
deluxe_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Yes a chattering noise is fairly common if your release bearing clips are broken, mine were. Not only that but when my clutch was changed by AMCO they did not refill my transmission fluid. Me and some of our forum members dropped my tranny, changed the release bearing, clutch fork and pivot ball, also most importantly filled tranny fluid. After that work my car, shifting is like new with no unusual sounds.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 89207

Quote: Originally Posted by deluxe_h View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but ty for posting this similar questions, so it is normal for it to make a slight clacking noise when you release the clutch at idle? Running act six puck.

With mostly any aftermarket clutch you will get clutch chatter and it is 100% normal with no problems or anything broken. If the stock clutch is chattering then you most likely have a problem.

2004 E-Blue SRT4 - Running Strong
- Big Turbo soon to come
Flame Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 50159

Migu not he a bad idea to check ur shfter cable bushings at the shifter and top plate on the tranny.