Dodge SRT Forum banner

Can't get into gear.

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  slyder 
#1 ·
Been driving around the last few days without using the clutch pedal. I'm almost positive it's the slave cylinder? But not 100% sure. When I start my car and have the clutch pedal all of the way down my car will creep forward like it would when I ease off the clutch. The clutch pedal feels really easy to press down, and therefore making my think it's the slave. I tried bleeding it out and it helped for a couple days then I went back to not using the clutch pedal again. Any help? Is my assumption right? Does it sound like the slave cylinder? Anything helps thanks!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
May want to check your clutch fork.... That seems to be a common issue in relation to your problem. The contacts wear down to the point that they won't effectively engage the clutch.

#3 ·
Update... So I put the new slave cylinder in and bled it properly... And it didn't help anything. I then did the cross over cable adjustment and it didn't help anything I just can't get it into gear... So the clutch fork is what I heard on the post responding to my first one... Do you guys think that's what I should get next??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Once you pull the tranny, might as well do everything while you are in there. Pivot ball, TOB fork (aftermarket, not stock so it will last), TOB and clutch. Don't drive it like that, you are ruining the tranny.

#15 ·
Yeah pulling that trans is a royal PITA. Took me about 6 hours of labor with help from the pops.... It definitely helps that we have a car hoist in our barn.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But they only get 3 beers each... Anymore than that and you'll have stripped bolts, a tattoo of a unicorn on your head, and no recollection of the night before. :drinkup:

#13 ·
I just had mine replaced at Rage-Tek, the labor was about $550 (ACT HDSS, pivot ball, DCR clutch fork, throw out bearing, readjust pedal). I had some other work done along with the clutch. I was very impressed with the work Javier did and if anyone is near S. Fl give them a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

#17 ·
So Billy-Bob down the street, whose knowledge of an SRT4 is " Hey look at that little Dodge with the big wing" should charge more than someone who has a lot of experience with that vehicle? Billy-Bob should charge you less because he will be experimenting with your vehicle. After he pulls the tranny a few times to finally get it right(maybe), then he could increase his price. Good luck with that, I'll pay for quality anytime.

#18 ·
I'm a pro at pulling SRT-4 transmissions and doing axles. It can be done with a lift and tools in under 5 hours. If I had a shop I would still charge 8 hours at whatever the shop rate is for that community. Remember, a shop has overhead and has to cover warranty type stuff.

BTW, I do it for free with friends tho, lol. We used to have clutch parties all the time back in the day.

#19 · (Edited)
I just got mine up and running last night.
3 hours out 3 hours in and I was taking my sweet ass time with several beers, a few texting breaks, hand tools, working in my garage on the floor.

Not sure what your gonna do but I just put in a SB stg2 and it is F'in awesome. Been babying it yet as I need to break it in for a few hundred miles but so far F'n great. Got on it a little bit, but in no rush.

Plus if your in there order Burger Bushings from any vendor I got mine from Modern Performance. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, NEVER an issue. You will absolutely love the feel. I didn't realize how bad my bushings were till I pulled the trans they were toast. The feel is rock solid !!

TIPS:
*use one of the starter bolts as a guide pin when raising and mating the trans to the engine.
*use all new clutch to ring gear bolts !!! Always!! * temporarily* put 2 of the old bolts back in clutch to help insert onto input shaft use kinda like handles...make sense?
*take one of the horizontal bolts from the lateral brace when transaxle is mated to engine. It is longer it will reach in further to thread into the clutch and pull it closer to the ring gear. then remove and install BRAND NEW clutch to ring gear bolt.

Also buy one of these. Harbor Freight
Best $100 I ever spent on a tool. I have done my trans 4 times and borrowed this out 3 times I got my money worth 10 fold.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.