Dodge SRT Forum banner

best short throw shifter ?

15K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Srt4SC 
#1 ·
What us the best shirt throw shifter out their. I have perin sts. But is their something better? ed petters says mad dog. Idk never seen them.

#6 ·
Love my hurst and like the mad dog shifters too. Personal opinion is if you plan to be competitive on the strip stay away from the huge reduction shifters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Hmm.. alot of personal preferance on this but.. I have tried the mopar STS, stock, Maddog 50 I think.. and Hurst.

I preferrred the Hurst for a street car/back road blaster.. but I think the Maddog would be better for a drag car.

Just me 2 cents.. as they are all great shifters and you wont really go wrong with either.

#9 ·
Maddog is the way to go just pm him about what you want. You will not be disappointed.

#11 ·
Okay I believe I'm going maddogg. Who do I talk to. Have card ready in hand lmk

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#19 ·
I see this VV

And I ask, can you do that with this VV

#23 ·
Maddog STS is hands down the way to go for the SRT-4.....

Chuck by any chance you going to make shifters for the Mustangs ;).... You would have my business good sir.

#25 ·
Although I have heard negative things about large shift reductions and drag racing, it's really not THAT hard to switch these out. I still have my stocker (bought my SRT Maddog used), so switching it out isn't an issue. I'd just leave the center console off until after racing....

#30 ·
Reduction has nothing to do with it, really - it's how you shift. You can tear a trans up with an OEM shifter, Maddog STS, Mopar STS, Hurst, TWM, Ralco, B&M, etc, etc. If you shift hard (aka slammin' gears), you will wear your trans out or break something way sooner than "normal" shifting.
One thing about the OEM, Mopar, and Maddog is that they all follow the OEM shift pattern/route. The Hurst does not, unless you add that kit to a Mopar STS. Put the Hurst kit (or any replacement aftermarket rod) on an OEM shifter, and you'll have a non-symmetrical shift pattern. Probably won't hurt anything, but it would seem to be somewhat awkward, imo.

#27 ·
I have a mopar STS with maddog rod stops on it plus I had maddog/chuck cut the rod shorter and thread it for my viper weighted shift knob.

If you're gonna drag your car what I have above or a hurst are the only ways to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.