axle boot replacement - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Drivetrain Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 65408
Default axle boot replacement

My p side axle boot tore so i had to do something to save me some money and refrain from buying another axle. It is the outtermost to the wheel boot. So i got a boot from dodge and it came with the boot..the 2 clamps..a bottle of grease and some kind of ring i havent figured out what it is yet. But i took a pair of snap ring pliers pulled the cv joint off and it is not a straight shaft. But i cant fit the inner part of the boot over this one ring on the shaft! does it come off or do i need to find a way to get the boot over it. I reaaaaly hope someone has done this or knows what im talking about. Thanks! ill try my best to explain if you need me to
1 srt4 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 65408

Bump for some help
1 srt4 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 65305

Though I have a GT Cruiser... I believe we share the same axles, so I'll attempt to offer whatever info I can.
Quote: Originally Posted by 1 srt4 U View Post
My p side axle boot tore so i had to do something to save me some money and refrain from buying another axle. It is the outtermost to the wheel boot. So i got a boot from dodge and it came with the boot..the 2 clamps..a bottle of grease and some kind of ring i havent figured out what it is yet.

Is it a Circlip? That clip sits in a machined groove on the axle's outer spline and holds the outside CV Joint onto the axle. If yours is missing on the axle, that means it either popped off when you pulled the CV off the axle, or it's still inside the CV Joint itself. Look inside the CV and behind the cross for the clip. Fish it out if that's it, and use the new one.

If the ring is more like a sleeve and covers the splines, then it's to protect the new boot from getting damaged from the splines during installation.

In older GT's (2003-2005) for example, there is also a thin metal shim that sometimes came with new axles and/or boots. That shim was placed on the CV Joint stub axle splines that went into the hub. It acted as both a shim and a scraper to keep the backside of the hub bearing clean and free from brake dust and other debris that would shorten the life of the wheel bearing.

Quote:
But i took a pair of snap ring pliers pulled the cv joint off and it is not a straight shaft.

Huh... come again? It's not a straight shaft? Does that mean it's bent? If the shaft is not straight, then you'll need to replace the entire axle. The interconnecting shaft (running between the inner and outer joints) is as straight and true as possible. There must not be any run out off the axis.

Quote:
But i cant fit the inner part of the boot over this one ring on the shaft! does it come off or do i need to find a way to get the boot over it. I reaaaaly hope someone has done this or knows what im talking about. Thanks! ill try my best to explain if you need me to

I believe you may have found the Circlip. If it's sitting in the axle's groove, you must remove it before installing the new boot. If you don't you'll damage your new boot and it will leak on the small inner area once warmed up.

Once you have that Circlip off, clean up the shaft, then slide the boot onto the shaft until it reaches the groove on the interconnecting shaft. That groove is where the boot must rest for proper sealing. There is a raised bead on the inside of the boot where it sits on the shaft... make sure it goes all the way on until that groove is covered by the boot and the raised inner bead is now flat for the small boot clamp to sit on squarely.

Now, the trickiest part of installing the new clamps are to make sure they're not only on tight, but to make damn sure the crimp is low. The only way I know how to do that is by using a boot band crimp tool. Mopar Special Tool C-4975A. It's a simple tool and you ought to be able to find one at any local auto parts store. It won't be the Mopar crimp tool... but the design is the same, just a different name is all. Some parts stores will even loan them so you don't have to buy one.Here's one currently on Ebay. If anything... the pic is worth looking at.

Regards!

Last edited by GT Bruiser; 01-27-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: general crappy syntax.
GT Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 65305

Quote: Originally Posted by 1 srt4 U View Post
Bump for some help

So, did you get this one fixed? Howabout a follow-up?

Regards!
GT Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement