Need help tapping manifold for direct port - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Methanol/Water/Alky Injection

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76158
Default Need help tapping manifold for direct port

So i got a Coolingmist stage 1 kit and i wanted to do a direct port setup. So my question is, does anybody know of some one that i could send my manifold to that would drill and tap the holes on the underside of the intake for me? I would do it myself, however if i mess this up I'll be up shit creek without a paddle lol. Preferably some one that knows what they are doing and has some experience in doing that sort of work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NEW SETUP- AGP 50T 63 A/R., TurboXS RFL, DW 750cc injectors w/o return line, DSP, N2MB boost box,CM Stg 3 clutch, i never use less than 100 oct.

mods awaiting installation- CM direct port meth, CryO2 intercooler chiller and a few other small things.
eblue_903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 45372
Premium Member

Do this yourself....it's pretty hard to mess it up. Get the right sized tap and then buy the correct sized drill bit for the tap (it will tell you what sized drill bit to use on the tap package). Just start threading the tap through the holes you drilled with a little bit of force to get the beginning threads started. You'll be fine...
jtm0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 78805
Lifetime Premium Member

just be careful while tapping the 1/8 npt , make a few threads then try to thread in the fitting , if it doesnt fit tap afew more threads . if you tap too far the fitting will be loose in the threads
Old 11-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 45372
Premium Member

Yes...npt threads taper from small to large on the tap and from large to small in the hole when you are done.
jtm0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 65338

too bad you are not close, i could give you the drill and tap.( i work at a cnc shop) make sure you go slow if you do decide to do it( just to ensure you dont brake the tap). also different materials need different pilot holes so check for that. and make sure you use a little bit of tap oil.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76909

Quote: Originally Posted by Drago View Post
too bad you are not close, i could give you the drill and tap.( i work at a cnc shop) make sure you go slow if you do decide to do it( just to ensure you dont brake the tap). also different materials need different pilot holes so check for that. and make sure you use a little bit of tap oil.

yeah broke a tap before not a fun time getting it back out
SANDREWand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

lol i appreciate it guys but I'd rather leave this to someone else. I know how to use a tap and die set, been using them for years. I own one as well however, the thing i am worried about is the correct placement for them. I have read that they need to be angled towards the head if they are going on the underneath side of the intake and tapping holes at an angle is what scares me. I've always just done them straight up and down. I could be wrong in what i am thinking about them being angled in rather than being straight up and down. i know it's not a necessity for them to be angled just that it's more optimum for them to be. If i am incorrect in thinking this please correct me. Again, thanks for the input guys.

NEW SETUP- AGP 50T 63 A/R., TurboXS RFL, DW 750cc injectors w/o return line, DSP, N2MB boost box,CM Stg 3 clutch, i never use less than 100 oct.

mods awaiting installation- CM direct port meth, CryO2 intercooler chiller and a few other small things.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 57941

Ive never read that they need to be at an angle. All the direct ports Ive seen are just straight.

Also, why are you wanting to run a direct port, are you still spraying pre throttle body to cool off the charge?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Damn sorry for the late response been really busy lately. Well I'm not even spraying it just yet. I wanted to do direct port because i wanted to use it as another fuel source somewhat because i did not want to do a return line. I was hoping that if i used some larger injectors for the meth and used a higher percentage of meth (like a 75/25) i could use it as a secondary fuel source kinda and compensate for the lack of fuel i have. My thought process on this might be wrong but i figured it might work. If I'm wrong and have high hopes on this let me know. Anyway i thought that i read somewhere that with it being angled it gave it better atomization, of course i could be just imagining things lol. I appreciate the responses guys

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 61336

I run DP, its great, and yes it does act as a second set of injectors, I run 100% meth back on pump gas, Now i run 100% E85, but im gonan run 100% alky through the meth system for extra fuel for more boost. I dont bother running a nozzle in the charge pipe, theres no need other than the ait seeing the cold charge, but if your have DSP, or standalone you will be controlling the timming anyways, and set it where you want it. I run 4 M3s with a 250 pump and 100% alky, and let me tell you, its ALOT of extra FUEL

Just make sure all your nozzles are clear, and run a good filter, if one nozzle gets clogged, thats BAD news for that cylinder.
Head build???
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement